CrazyBoards.org

No, busprione (Buspar) is not an atypical antipsychotic. Buspar has some effects on one of the sertonin receptors. Buspar is an anxiolytic agent that is unrelated to the benzos and not addictive/habit-forming.

Does it work?  Well, it works for some.  But it tends not to be the most effective agent.

I used to take Buspirone, which is not an antipsychotic, by the way. I remember being on it in the fifth grade, in the spring of 1998. Anything above 5 mg and I was tired. As for "new," it says here that buspirone was approved in 1986.

We tried it for my OCD, for which it was ineffective, and kept it because I got more sleep. When I got up the first (?) morning after, I woke up my parents and said, "good morning." I had never done that before.

Buspirone is not exactly an SSRI. According to mentalhealth.com's Buspirone page

Buspirone is a psychotropic drug with anxiolytic properties which belongs chemically to the class of compounds known as the azaspirodecanediones.

Buspirone shares some of the properties of the benzodiazepines and the neuroleptics, as well as demonstrating other pharmacological action. It attenuates punishment suppressed behavior in animals and exerts a taming effect, but is devoid of anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant properties and does not bind to the benzodiazepine/GABA receptor complex. Buspirone affects a variety of dopamine mediated biochemical and behavioral events, but is free of cataleptic activity. Buspirone has an affinity for brain D(2)-dopamine receptors, where it acts as an antagonist and agonist, and for the 5-HT(1A) receptors, where it acts as an agonist. Buspirone does not block the neuronal reuptake of monoamines and, on chronic administration, it does not lead to changes in receptor density in the models investigated. However, the mechanism of action of buspirone remains to be fully elucidated.

In case you didn't know, 5-HT(1A) is a type of serotonin receptor.

According to The Anxiety Community - Treatment - Medication: Buspar, the azaspirodecanediones are also called azapirones. If you're curious, this website which stupidly classified Buspar as a benzo says it's pronounced, "az-as-peer-odey-can-ed-e-own."

Other members of this drug class are gepirone and ipsaperone. I know about them from this study done in 1988. The FDA said gepirone was not approvable in 2004, but Fabre Kramer Pharmaceuticals, Inc. reacquired the rights to it from Organon on June 15, 2005, and is looking forward to, "reporting the results of two multi-center placebo-controlled Phase III clinical trials" they are conducting.

Tandospirone (Sediel, Sumitomo Pharmaceuticals Co., Ltd) I know about from doing a search on "ipsaperone", not knowing it was misspelled. Lesopitron I know about from this 33 citation search.

I may or may not find more.

Hi!

I had to reply to this, because I felt like it.

I took Buspirone (spelling?) back when I was 14 (am 19 now). My doctor had it prescribed PRN to me, which its not supposed to be, but thats a different story. I found it to be really effective at sedating me when I was too worried about something to fall asleep, and I had a lot of that back then so it was good. The problem with sedating things is that they make me sleep like 16 hours and then I wake up with a REALLY bad headache and it doesnt go away with tylenol.

I hope this helps

I was on this about 7 years ago (1998)  i used to take it 2x a day and quite a high dose, initaly it helped quite well but as time went on i became imune almost to it, and my anxiety krept backas bad as it had been prior to that point.

I hope that it works for you

good luck with it

keep us posted

x

I took Buspar for quite awhile (tapered off of it after getting stable on Trileptal).  It was a pretty good med for me, although I've heard more than one pdoc say it either really helps people or it's like a sugar pill.  For that reason it's a fairly benign thing to try, but it's also not the best experiment if someone is super agitated and REALLY needs help NOW.

If I recall, it didn't take very long to start helping, but it wasn't instant like a benzo.  Three or four days, maybe?  I can't recall any side effects to speak of.

You might do really well on it!

Wow...one day on it and I'm droopy as shit.  My arms feel like dead weight and my legs feel like heavy lumber that has been rubberized.  Maybe if I just move my arms and legs up and down I can buff up???

This really feels nasty...I hope it goes away though...nice not feeling as anxious.  Still jittery, but not crying like a fool...so I guess that's progress.  Or is it regress...need I digress any further, or am I just obsessed by the process???

wow...that was profound and wierd...al at the same time...anyway...

Not sure if this is good or bad, but that's where I am today.  Now if you find me where I am, get me home again...

Wow...one day on it and I'm droopy as shit.  My arms feel like dead weight and my legs feel like heavy lumber that has been rubberized.  Maybe if I just move my arms and legs up and down I can buff up???

This really feels nasty...I hope it goes away though...nice not feeling as anxious.  Still jittery, but not crying like a fool...so I guess that's progress.  Or is it regress...need I digress any further, or am I just obsessed by the process???

wow...that was profound and wierd...al at the same time...anyway...

Not sure if this is good or bad, but that's where I am today.  Now if you find me where I am, get me home again...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How much are you taking?

I must have missed something here. Where was it ever mentioned that Buspar was an atypical anitpsychotc?

Anyway, My SO has had a very good response to Buspar at 30mg twice a day. As always, YMMV but Buspar has proven to be really helful to him for daily use. He takes a benzodiazipine at night but the Buspar has been better for him during the day. When he took a benzodiazipine during the day it effected his short term memory too much making what he does at work difficult. Initially, the Buspar did make him sleepy but it was a side effect and he now is alert, not anxious, and can concentrate during the day.

I do agree that it does not seem the med to go to when already in the midst of a panic attack. You need something to calm you down fast and Buspar is better to prevent anxiety. As always YMMV: I have heard of Buspar not working for some people but it has become a very good addition to my SO's cocktail which is mostly meds to treat anxiety. 

Erika

• 1 month later...

You'll be dopey for up to a couple of weeks until you adjust to your dosage, so that means if you're ramping up from 7.5 2/day to 15 2/day, as soon as you stop feeling dopey on your first dosage, you'll up yourself to a higher dopey dosage. But that goes away.

It really does go away, and if it works for you, you will notice the effects right away, like not freeaking out when you've got too much on your table and someone asks for a favor while one member of your team fails to call to say they're gonna be 1:30 hours late and running home crying and screaming.

maybe i should have tried it longer.  it was the first thing my most recent pdoc started me on, and i took it for about a month (eventually taking 20mg twice a day) and i eventually started to feel some of its 'tranquilization' effects - which were sorta okay - but it seemed like it was taking my jaw grinding or tmj to a whole new level of pain - which was much worse than the tranquilization effects were good.  i've read that its not supposed to be sedating, and may actually ahve a stimulant effect.  it seemed like it was making my insomnia worse - i didn't go to sleep at all a few nights - but i would fall into a blissful sleep during the day. 

its an serotonin agonist though - which to my understanding means it acts like serotonin in your synapses, but just for a specific serotonin receptor.  and for some reason that creates an anxiolytic effect, but i have no idea.  it just seems like a weird med to me, and gave me too many bad side effects. 

• 4 weeks later...

Today is day 5 of Buspar (w/100mg of Zoloft) for me. It doesn't make me sleepy at all. In fact, I find it sort of activating. I started with 5mg 3x/day, went up to 10mg 3x/day, and today I'm going to go up to my recommended dose of 15mg 3x/day. My doctor told me to see how it affects me and work my way up. It doesn't seem to have any side effects except the speedy feeling, which is pretty mild. They say it doesn't work for 4-6 weeks, so I can't say if it's going to work for my anxiety, but so far so good.

I agree that they need a once-a-day version. This 3x/day thing blows.

• 3 years later...
Guest Halloweenie

I've been on Buspar for about 3 weeks and am beginning to feel less anxious. I started with 5 mg 2x days for four days, then went up to 10 mg 2x day. At first I felt a bit strange in the head (not quite dizzy or light headed, but as if there was light pressure on my temples), but it went away after a few days. I also felt a bit activated, which provoked my chronic insomnia, and made it harder to stay asleep (I was hospitalized for 3 weeks due to insomnia, and now take Seroquel, Remeron, and Ambien at bedtime), but it seems to have gotten better. Other than that, I haven't noticed any side effects. For 6 months, I've been experiencing numbness in my hands and feet that persists about 65% of the time, which has also decreased since I starting Buspar. I am beginning to become hopeful that I will be able to live a normal life again!

My PDoc and I had a long discussion about Buspar. He personally doesn't think that it works "worth a damn", however I was prescribed it by by my family doc like 5 years ago before I started seeing my shrink. I tried going off it once thinking that my anxiety was under control.....well I quickly found out it was under control because of the Buspar! Also, my dad is on it (at twice my dosage) but he really thinks it helps his anxiety as well.

From what I've read about it and from what my PDoc said it's once of those drugs where it's either going to work wonders for you, or not do a damn thing. I know it's prescribed a lot to recovering addicts because it's not addictive like benzo's are. I take mine in the morning and at night......not 3x a day, but I suppose it depends on your dosage.

Don't be afraid to stay on it.....it really could be a lifesaver....literally! Good luck!

Archived