CrazyBoards.org

severe social anxiety: benzo or quetiapine?

Hi,

I suffer from severe social anxiety for more than 25 years. Now I'm going to an anxiety clinic. They offer me  quetiapine, besides CBT. Till now I've used benzo's, SSRI's, TCA's and beta blockers. The only thing that really works is an benzo. From what

I've actually read that a lot of people find quetiapine really helps them.  And it sounds like you haven't tried anything in this class yet.  Why not give it a whirl?  You can always go back to a benzo if it doesn't work, and sometimes it matters to pdocs/therapists that you were willing to try it THEIR way, kwim?  <shrug>

Sounds like the bigger issue is participating in a research trial, and what that means for your treatment options.  If they're just trying to convince you to go with the quetiapine because they want more research subjects, that's bogus.  And if participating means you can't change gears midstream if the therapy isn't helping you, that's bogus.  Do you have any other options for care?

No, that's not the problem. If I want to quit, I can. Then they will offer me other options, like a MAO, a TCA and, when everything fails, a benzo. That's the idiot thing: first they give me stuff wich could be lethal (seroquel too, can be lethal:  the NMD (I guess)  syndrome, or else some nice diabetes), and then at the very end, they give me something wich for sure works and is the safest pill of them all.

Well, whatever. Stupid world.

Thanks anyway for your reactions. Yesterday I felt  sick when I came back home. Now, because you and some other people reacted, I feel a little bit more calm and have a little bit more confidence in seroquel. That really helped.

I've freaked out, cringed, quailed, quivered, and hidden away for most of my life. And yes, benzos do work. But even with something like klonopin, it ends up taking more and more to take care of the anxiety, and way before then I've become a zombie with serious balance problems.

Seroquel (on top of other stuff like effexor) is what finally has helped. The only side effect (after 18 months) is at higher doses, I start getting what I imagine must be restless leg syndrome, so I've had to cut back. It still works on the anxiety, and it still helps me sleep. (present dose: 100-150 mg at night

Hope it'll work for you

tom

FWIW, MAO-Is can really kick social anxiety in the ass. They were the gold standard before the SSRIs came around and many people still swear by them.

With seroquel I've been able to my need for benzos down to a couple of times a week.  It's very worth a try.  The doses needed for anxiety are typicaly lower thane those requred for bi-polar mania and schitzophrenia, so the risk of side effects is somewhat lower as well.  I do strongly suggest taking it at night for at least a week before you take it in the day.

Thanks for all for responding to my story.  Well, I've get a clearer picture now and I'll give seroquel a try. And yes the MAO seems to be good too, from what I've read. I'll stick with a small dose of benzo's anyway, just in case the whole world comes down once more. Must be not so difficult to get a small dose, since I am the docs  obedient servant now, and I assume, oh so naieve, that that gets them willing a bit more to do me a pleasure. Just the way the game is played I suppose. I guess after one month the stuff will start doing it's job (hopefully so), and I'll let you know how things are going then.  My mind has eased for now and for that I'm gratefull to your all. Have a nice day.

I suffer from severe social anxiety for more than 25 years. Now I'm going to an anxiety clinic.  Problem is these folks are fanatic believers in the anti benzo dogma.

OMG now I've heard everything. An anxiety clinic would deny you benzos??? This is getting to be a knee jerk reaction, and PREJUDICE.

I'd rather be addicted for life to benzos, than be dead. My anxiety gets that bad!

so long as you aren't "abusing" the benzos and taking them as prescribed I don't see the big deal.. but that is my opinion. My husband is on 6 mg daily and has been for several years now. The doc has tried other meds while trying to reduce the benzos and that just wasn't working so they have left him alone as far as trial and errors go with meds.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was in the loony bin the last time for evaluaton, I got stuck dead in the middle between the pro-benzo camp and the anti benzo camp. Because I'm at the governments mercy without income or insurrance, I got bounced to a doc who was strongly anti benzo. I'm taking paxil at 30mgs and Seroquel at 100mgs, but it isn't enough to help me control my panic disorder or my SI obsession from my BPD. Friday I checked myself into ER because I'd been burning myself all afternoon and it wasn't enough and I was dying to start cutting. They gave me 2 or 3 mgs of lorazapam when I got there so that I could sit still and tell them whats going on and then proscribed 2 mgs of Clonazepam (thats Klonapin yes?) daily. This seems, so far to be helping, but I'm afraid that my county appointed nurse practitioner, who is anti- benzo, will take me off of it  ;)   I'm scared. I can't keep the panic and emotoinal overload back with out them...So not to derail your topic, Battle, it takes both Seroquel AND some long acting benzo to keep me from going bat-shite bonkers. Good luck.

BTW, I haven't had any bad side effects from the Seroquel, it does tend to give me the munchies (which I've been told id because it lowers your satiation levels, but don't quote me)

Archived