I am back on the BC pill. I was on it but before my last pack ran out, I didn't make an appointment with the gyno. (I know that is a big no no for me since I don't want to get preggers because of the meds I am on and hope one day I won't be, and I was going through some manic type feelings that I didn't have before where I thought I was going to change my destiny and didn't need to be on the pill-go figure?) Well I am on my 2nd week on it and I just had my period before I started it so I don't believe I am pregnant. I know I am putting some weight back on too because I have been trying to eat more since I lost some weight from being poor and not having good food to eat but now I do(that was during that manic thing I was going through..) so I am not sure if my boobs are sore because of the pill, or because I am gaining weight. It's kinda embarrasing to post this but I really have no one else to ask. I was preggers before but didn;t have the baby and that was my only symptom so now I am kinda scared. But I just had my period two weeks ago. (I started the pills that sunday after I got my period and it was a normal period). Has anyone else had this?

It's been a while for me, but I definitely remember sore boobs and some minor weight gain when starting the pill. If it's bad, a different dose/type of pill might help.

Keep in mind that the (very unscientific) reason the pill works is because it fools your body into thinking it's pregant, just enough so that ovulation is disturbed so there's nothing there for a sperm to latch onto. That's why sore boobs, etc. are common side effects. Hope you feel better soon.

Heya Panicky,

What Catnapper said re. s/e from OCP (oral contraceptive pill, I just realized I keep saying OCP b/c that's automatic for me).

Give it three cycles to settle in.

Also, any reason to think you might be pregnant is reason enough to shell out the ?25 bucks or so for a home preg test at least.

Re. OCP s/e:

www.contraceptiononline.org has some resources as does sogc.ca.

Also -- remember to assume the pill isn't working for the first cycle and to use backup until at *least* midway through the second cycle.

--ncc--

Archived