OK folks I have been taking a lot of meds and having a relatively stable period of time. Some days though I really feel seriously drugged, drooling, slurring my words and tired. Isn't this the shit and aren't I just a fucking bore now in this state? It seems I hate my mental illnesses but I hate drug induced stability too

Well anyway, you guys don't know me but periodically I have to pull myself together and function in a major way and I've discovered some new line of "energy drinks". The one I like has guarana in it and a bunch of other stuff plus a lot of B vitamins. Taste terrible but I love this stuff! It'll definitely perk me up. The one problem is that if I drink this stuff during a mixed state or manic episode is seems to worsen it.

Does anyone have experience with these drinks? Do you have a favorite?

I'm not sure if I should recommend them but in a pinch they do sharpen me up a bit out of the sloggy drugged feeling. I drank two servings once and became hyper as hell so I'm wondering if they are seriously contraindicated for us manic types. Does anyone know?

When hubby is manic, the doctor used to tell him to lay off the freaking coffee. I imagine these energy drinks would fall under the same catagory.

I do not have bp and can only drink 1 a day. I love the SoBee low cal energy drinks, but have to limit myself.

The one I like has guarana in it and a bunch of other stuff plus a lot of B vitamins. Taste terrible but I love this stuff! It'll definitely perk me up. The one problem is that if I drink this stuff during a mixed state or manic episode is seems to worsen it.

Guarana (wikipedia link) contains not only caffeine, but theobromine, xanthine, theophylline ...

yep, this stuff SHOULD wake you up. Apparently it's very popular in Brazil, for the flavor as much as, or

more then, the mild stimulant content.

If black tea, coffee, or chocolate make your mood cycle more or shift more toward mania, these could

be as much of a problem as a cup or two of coffee.

Yerba mate' also contains caffeine among a mix of other xanthines, and I rather like the taste of

mate'-based soft drinks.

I like Coca-Cola's Full Throttle (black can. sugar, NOT the other crap). They have a more orange-based

version (Fury?) that I don't like.

I'm not sure if I should recommend them but in a pinch they do sharpen me up a bit out of the sloggy drugged feeling. I drank two servings once and became hyper as hell so I'm wondering if they are seriously contraindicated for us manic types. Does anyone know?

The caffeine content is usually mixed with other mild xanthine stimulants, so like with coffee, tea, or cocoa,

your mileage is going to vary. Gingko biloba and ginseng may be stimulating for some folks, and they are

in some beverages.

As with any herbal concoction, if you have allergies read the label first.

And of course, watch out for whatever's being used as the sweetener.

I kind of like the sugar free Rock Star energy drink. It's kind of fruit punchy and also kind of gross, and yet in a good way. It doesn't affect me badly, but then I don't have manic tendencies. I do find that more than one energy drink sets me off feeling anxious and crabby though, so I've saved Rock Star for times when I really have to get my shit together for a big meeting at work or whatever. Definitely not a daily thing.

Now taht I identify myself as a bicyclist, I'm reminded I'm supposed to be downing hi carb drinks. Blech. I want the veggies, but they're expensive, and/or a bitch to prepare. Shakes!!! The answer!Yeah, a drag that really pays off. I've al;readdy cooked down my red lentils to p.b. consistency; now I add ice cream lactose free whatever, banana, juz, nuts, whatever. Don't forget: Life's a bitch!!! Did anyone mention boba, or phillipino calamansi lychee taho sago, or those crazy vietnamese drinks?

• 2 weeks later...

guarana is no joke the american version and the versions from venezuela (where my greatnana is from I'm not sure about brazil) are wildly differing in potentcy be extra careful of which one you choose. I was a guarana addict for like two years they used to sell this stuff at gnc called up your gas and the stuff in their regular green bottles. and Jolt(remember jolt cola?) I used to be addicted to that too. I would have to say for me it made me ultra extra manic but maybe half a can or something might not be as bad. But take the can with you to the doc just in case you have heart related stuff or high blood pressure (or an addictive issue)

lilie

• 4 weeks later...

OK folks I have been taking a lot of meds and having a relatively stable period of time. Some days though I really feel seriously drugged, drooling, slurring my words and tired. Isn't this the shit and aren't I just a fucking bore now in this state? It seems I hate my mental illnesses but I hate drug induced stability too

Well anyway, you guys don't know me but periodically I have to pull myself together and function in a major way and I've discovered some new line of "energy drinks". The one I like has guarana in it and a bunch of other stuff plus a lot of B vitamins. Taste terrible but I love this stuff! It'll definitely perk me up. The one problem is that if I drink this stuff during a mixed state or manic episode is seems to worsen it.

OK, here's what I'm figuring out. There's two servings per can they are enormous and completely over done. So being sensitive to such things I've learned to add a quarter of a can to three quarter seltzer water or club soda. Don't ever have more than one serving total. You can spread this out (and probably should by extending it with other beverages.)

I have a tendency to dring too much beer and when I'm hypomanic I do serial drinking. I'm talking VOLUME. So it's good to dilute and by all means stay away from anything stronger than 6%.

I'm still think guarana is mellower than that other I forget what it's called...the one in "monster drinks" That one's pretty cranky.

I'm not into cranky things. Guarana is a little more sun-shiney.

I kind of like the sugar free Rock Star energy drink. It's kind of fruit punchy and also kind of gross, and yet in a good way. It doesn't affect me badly, but then I don't have manic tendencies. I do find that more than one energy drink sets me off feeling anxious and crabby though, so I've saved Rock Star for times when I really have to get my shit together for a big meeting at work or whatever. Definitely not a daily thing.

My friend drinks RockStar a ton of it. He said it does nothing to him.

I don't think that is true his on switch never goes off. He is a painter and he will just get out his sketch book and do all kinds of art work non-stop.

• 1 month later...

these drinks are kinda a joke. as much as u can get off on caffeine i guess. strattera did a lot more to me than any amt. of caffeine. caffeine just causes a slight increase in all the neurotransmitters (serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, adrenaline), it is a fairly weak stimulant (although caution should be used for people sensitive to it).

but the Sobe 'adrenaline rush' drink is really good... and there is this new one called Xtacy here in NJ that comes in many good flavors like lime and cranberry, i don't know if its widely availible b/c i buy it from a mexican grocery store, but probably.

Archived