MRI question

My 9 year old nephew is bi-polar and adhd and part of a treatment study. He has had MRI's done yearly for the past 3 years since his formal diagnosis. On all his written reports it notes abnormal space between his ventricals. Is this a bi-polar feature? indicator? consequece? can it be repaired? what does it mean? Right now, he is fairly stabilized on his current meds. I am just wondering what all the mri stuff means. can anyone offer me some insight? His mom, my sister, is totally overwhelmed, she has other young kids, and I try to help her out as much as I can. Thanks!!!

"Enlaged Ventricles in the Brain: Individuals with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, including those who have never been treated, typically have enlarged ventricles in the brain, as demonstrated in over 100 studies to date."

"Enlaged Ventricles in the Brain: Individuals with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, including those who have never been treated, typically have enlarged ventricles in the brain, as demonstrated in over 100 studies to date."

Which means...?

That is what they are trying to figure out. I remember them getting these type of scan results many years ago and thought maybe meds for schitzophrenia were causing the gaps. But newer studies say unmedicated people also have these gaps. So anyway, they can SEE there is a difference in BP brains, but are not sure what causes it.

Archived