Mac Aim problem

So, I just got a new macbook and I basically love it.

Except for that AIM seems to be really, really buggy. It gives me an "unexpected error" half a dozen times a day. I can't find anything that seems to be triggering it. I thought for awhile it was whenever I tried to look at my buddy list if I had more than one messaging window open, but that isn't a consistent predictor.

Am I doing something wrong? If I close aim and re-open it, it works. It's just annoying to be randomly disconnected during conversations all the time.

I tried to look on the AIM help site, but a lot of good that did me.

I have had this issue also. Sometimes it helps to throw out your preferences file. You can also check for updates or even download a fresh copy off the Apple (or AOL) website.

Are you using iChat or AIM? In general, iChat on Tiger (10.4) seems to be more stable than iChat on Panther (10.3.9). If you are using AIM, just switch to iChat and see if that is better.

I got a duck thing. Adium.

It seems to be working well.

I was using the aim client, which is probably always a bad idea, but also easy. Except for the dying thing.

Thank you guys.

The official Mac AIM client (the one from AOL) has been miserably bad since OS X has come out. It hasn't been worth using for over five years. There is absolutely no excuse to use anything other than Adium or iChat at this point. I personally prefer Adium by a whole lot and have been using it for a few years, and it also does MSN and Yahoo in the same program, among other things, which is pretty convenient, but if you want to do voice and video stuff, that's what iChat is for (or the official clients for the other networks for the special features like that on those). For just typing at people, always working, and looking pretty in the process, though, Adium's the way to go. And it has a hojillion smilies and sounds and message styles and contact list styles and dock icons you can get. Ok. I'm done pimping the duck.

Archived