I was kicked out of my mental health center today!

This is probably the most bizarre thing thaty has ever happened to me. I've been going to this mental health center for four months for therapy and meds. I never like the psychiatrist, but my therapist was wonderful and I'll miss her.

At this center, you have to call in for your prescription refills 48 hours before they're due. The past three times I've called in for a refill, it hasn't been called in to my pharmacy and I've had to call the center three or four times to finally get them to call it in before the pharmacy closes. Last week, I had a prescription due on Saturday. I figured "48 hours; I'll call it in on Thursday". Saturday came around and it hadn't been called in. The prescription was for Klonopin and I'm sure you all know that you can't stop taking it suddenly. I was worried about what I would do for the weekend, so I asked my pharmacist for advice. Luckily, he gave me enough to get through the weekend. (This center is closed on weekends). Anyway, Monday rolls around and I call the pharmacy to see if my prescription was called in. Nah. At this point, I was so upset and frustrated that I called the center and gave them a piece of my mind. I asked them why they hadn't called it in and they gave me some very lame excuses. They wound up calling it in 20 minutes before my pharmacy closed.

When I went for my pdoc appointment today, I was told that they were terminating services for me because I was rude to the staff. The doctor didn't listen to my explanation; he just wasn't interested in hearing my side of the story.

I'm just flabbergasted. I've never been kicked out of any place in my life; I'm not a rowdy person, and I wonder why it was so easy for the pdoc to kick me out. I was still in treatment and on meds. Does anybody know if this is even legal? I just feel so discouraged and humiliated right now. I need some support! Help! :embarassed:

Gee, I'm sorry they kicked you out.

Certainly they were not doing a good job of taking care of your prescription refills.

Most states have laws against "Abandonment" of patients by doctors. However, this is a high bar, and usually is only applied in cases such as a surgeon walking out during a procedure, or something similar that leaves a patient either in extremis or without any medical care. So, since you weren't in a crisis, and there are probably other doctors or emergency room within reasonable distances, abandonment probably doesn't obtain.

In hindsight it probably would have been better to make the pdoc or facility manager aware of the poor performance earlier. Unfortunately you didn't have the opportunity to get to the bottom of the problem. Was it the doctor, someone in filing or a medication nurse?

Having worked in a medical office for 5 years, I have had many patients call out of frustration, and always tried to be sympathetic and help. Unfortunately, I could be just as frustrated at things not under my control. Everyone needs to blow off steam, but beyond a point there is no point chewing out the person you want to help you.

Now I guess the thing is to find another good treatment team. I would suggest calling your (now former) therapist and as for recommendations. Also, talk to some of the nurses. They know all the dirt on doctors. ;) Thats how I found my pdoc.

good luck,

a.m.

Well you would think they wouldn't be so thin skinned if they have been working in the mental health field. I'm sure that's not the first rant they've heard from a disgruntled client. I mean people who patronize a mental health facility are going to be a little "mental" sometimes.

As suggezted previously I would try to speak to an administrator or the HMFIC and offer apologies and explain the situation. It's worth a try!

Good luck,

Brian

Yeah, like what's up with them? They're pretty sorry as treatment "professionals" if they can't even make sure you have your meds when you're supposed to have them (a pledge to you, their client) and take your complaints. If you went totally ballistic, or were menacing or stalking or went in with a weapon I could understand a termination of services. But for voicing your complaints? Even IF you went off on them, which you don't sound like you did, they still should have had the common sense and skin as spaceman says to take it and deal with it.

Once in my pdoc's office (I was actually in the actual pdoc's office, not the pnurse's office) at my treatment center I went totally off the wall because of something he said, and I ended up going to the hospital. there wasn't any problem. they understood that i'm a nutjob and i went to the hospital because that's where i belonged and i knew it. they were professional enough to not only not have a problem with it, but my tdoc took me to the hospital and was with me during my admission.

you deserve better treatment than what you have received. you could ask your now-former "pdoc" to give you enough of a supply so you can last until you can get in with someone else, and make sure right away with your new person that they will call in your refills when they say they will. Just clarify that. I've had trouble in the past with past gyn's actually not calling in my Pills and that just made me so mad.

Just curious, what is your diagnosis? I have heard of some "treatment" centers being less than considerate to clients with a Borderline Personality diagnosis. Seems the BPD paitent, even those with major depression, are more trouble than they are worth to some doctors, and consequently their "treatment" centers.

NOT FAIR!!! But unfortunately, and sadly, not unheard of either.

Just curious, what is your diagnosis? I have heard of some "treatment" centers being less than considerate to clients with a Borderline Personality diagnosis. Seems the BPD paitent, even those with major depression, are more trouble than they are worth to some doctors, and consequently their "treatment" centers.

NOT FAIR!!! But unfortunately, and sadly, not unheard of either.

My diagnosis is severe depression and Generalized Anxiety. My anxiety level has actually gone down since I was kicked out, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise!

Zanne, I had a therapist go ballistic on me once, and she demanded that we stop therapy (which was good news for me, since she was clearly losing it). BUT she kindly (?) offered to speak to a new therapist for me and "inform them of my anger issues."

Since I was the one who had been screamed at, I thanked her politely but told her I'd find one on my own. I'd be leery of having people who've shown themselves to be uncooperative finding me new docs. I'd be afraid they'd poison the new relationship too.

lily

Zanne, I had a therapist go ballistic on me once, and she demanded that we stop therapy (which was good news for me, since she was clearly losing it). BUT she kindly (?) offered to speak to a new therapist for me and "inform them of my anger issues."

Since I was the one who had been screamed at, I thanked her politely but told her I'd find one on my own. I'd be leery of having people who've shown themselves to be uncooperative finding me new docs. I'd be afraid they'd poison the new relationship too.

lily

The pdoc who "terminated my services" was going to inform my GP that I would be needing medication from him, since I'm no longer a patient at the center. I actually asked him to do that; do you think it was stupid on my part? Is there a chance my pdoc will "badmouth" me to my GP? My GP is new and I'd hate to start out on the wrong foot with him.

Hi Zanne,

I would certainly hope that your former Pdoc, who took oaths to care for others, would not talk negatively about you.

When you say that you gave them a piece of your mind, what did that mean? Did you swear or threaten anybody? You had every right to complain about your services (or lack there of). Perhaps getting in touch with the people who run admin and explaining your situation would help. However, given the level of treatment you have recieved, going back to it may not be such a good choice.

Having access to your meds and being monitored for se or blood level counts is crucial. I dont know how it works in your state, but here, my mental health care center really frowns on my gp giving me MI meds. Lack of coordination and comminication seems to be the biggest problem.

Calling your former Tdoc and asking for referals continued treatment sounds like a good idea.

Sorry you lost your Tdoc. I hope you can find appropriate care for your issues.

Selene

When I went for my pdoc appointment today, I was told that they were terminating services for me because I was rude to the staff. The doctor didn't listen to my explanation; he just wasn't interested in hearing my side of the story.
Zanne, if the doc treated you this way, I'd be leery--hopefully, as Selene says, he'll be professional about it, but I'd assume he will tell the new GP (his version) of what happened.

But you are the consumer here! You have a right to decent treatment. If it were me, I'd go to this new GP and calmly explain my side of the story. If the new GP is professional, you can start this new relationship on a good footing. If it seems this GP is not going to believe you, then maybe think of finding someone else.

Sorry if I responded kinda passionately. It's just that this happened to me, and I share your sense of WTF? at it all, and that feeling that it's all too easy to chalk this kind of stuff up to the patient's issues, rather than putting responsibility with the doc, where it belongs.

Anyway, give the new GP a try! Can you see your nice Tdoc outside of that center?

lily

this makes me grateful, again, that in the middle of a bp meltdown, i mean total crazy episode with screaming and crying and telling off my treatment team, they took me to the hospital and we have a great relationship almost a year later.

Archived