I know this probably sounds weird, but my pee sometimes just won't come out, especially if i'm using a public restroom and there are other people in there with me. it is the strangest thing. i try to make myself relax and i even think of weird relaxation cues to make myself pee, and it is still very tough to do.

has anyone heard of this? what's this pee constipation about? ;)

A lot of people are various forms of pee-shy.

I don't like to pee if it's quiet in a public restroom. Once someone else is peeing or a toilet is flushing or water is running, I'm okay. But otherwise, I have a little bit of pee hesitation, too. I know it's physical- you feel like you can't pee, but it really can be caused by anxiety.

It could also be a physical thing, too. I'm not sure about this, but it may (repeat: may) be caused by Wellbutrin. Cymbalta I know can have that side-effect, and's also used to treat urinary incontinence... so the side effect kind of makes sense. Wellbutrin is also used to treat urinary incontinence, so it may have the same kind of effect.

It may just be that you're pee-shy, though. I know people who can't "go" in public at all.

Loon, here in Japan, no one pees in a silent bathroom. Women always flush as they are peeing to drown out the sound. Clearly, this isn't environmentally sensitive, so now we have "Sound Princess," a small panel by the throne. You push the button and poof! Instant flushing sound, minus the water. Some places use "babbling brook" instead of "loud flush" but the effect is the same.

I WISH I were making this up.

Becca's clearly too conscientous to flush for no reason, so she waits until someone legitimately flushes, and rides that wave, as it were. But maybe once in awhile, if the loud noise would help, give that a try?

lily

all of your ideas, stories, and suggestions are really interesting! i don't know if i'm pee-shy because of psychological factors, like i'm just weird about peeing and people hearing me pee, or if it is medication. i do get weird in my own apartment sometimes, so maybe it is the medication to some extent. i haven't started anything new for some time but i do take lamictal (and lots of it), and unregistered says it could be a suspect. very interesting.

i CAN pee, it just isn't easy to make myself, especially in public places. maybe a combo of all factors?

lilie, that is so fascinating! so all of japan is shy about peeing? would they freak out coming over here?

my family is from australia and i like it there because the stalls are much more private. the walls actually go down almost to the floor. you can see enough to see someone's feet. here you can almost see each other's butts.

After the first time in the morning I am fine, but sometimes I can't go untiul after I'm at work. I take both lamictal and wellbutrin so I don't know which the culprit is. I hate waking up in the middle of the night having to pee and not being able to.

Tommy

tommy-

you probably know from my sig that i take both WB and lamictal! maybe we're really onto something here! i think, thinking about it, that i'm shy about peeing in public and also that my meds could contribute. i just can't pee worth anything. when people leave the bathroom, THEN i can convince myself to pee, but only after i visualize calm things, and only after awhile. the bathroom has to be quiet for awhile for me to be able to do it. weird, huh?

k- i always wondered what it was like for guys at the urinal trying to pee. what is it like just whipping out your manly part and peeing in front of other men? i'd be so weirded-out if i had to do that in front of other women! i'm weirded out just peeing in a stall with other women around!

loon

• 4 weeks later...

In public, it takes me hearing someone else to pee to "realize" that it's okay to do so, and then I have to wait for them to leave so that way they don't hear me do what they just did. Takes quite a while.

But if you're at home, something that I found can help is to put your hand in warm water, tilt your head back and relax, just thinking about the feeling of peeing and warm.

That totally sounds like TMI, too.

sometimes the constipation really does seem like the onslaught of a UTI - i will go, have to use "will" to pee, and only pee a little bit, then go back to bed, and then have to get up again five minutes later and go (i can't fall asleep sometimes, and usually having to pee is the reason why)..

i think, oh no.. i'm going to be in pain by 3AM - but then i'm not, so it's not a UTI..

I'm on meds that make my mouth dry, so what was described above seems to fit.

sometimes i don't realize i have to go, until someone else does - especially in a public place.

i think this is different than pee constipation, but superchar42's description made me think of it.

i'm more shy about the number2 in public restrooms and will wait for the flushing to make my noises. oh yeah. *That's* TMI for a pee constipation thread.

PJ

k- i always wondered what it was like for guys at the urinal trying to pee. what is it like just whipping out your manly part and peeing in front of other men? i'd be so weirded-out if i had to do that in front of other women! i'm weirded out just peeing in a stall with other women around!

Guy Rule #1: No staring at the stall.

Gay Rule #1: Well, go ahead and stare - if it's truly impressive. But
really
, don't you know what one looks like by now? If you're
that
interested, introduce yourself after you're both finished. *le sigh*

"Leather" corollary: Piss, beg fer it, or piss off bitch. We ain't got all night waiting for yer daddy to make up yer mind.

Guy Rule #2: Get in; get 'er done; get out

Chorus: Sounds like my last boyfriend!

ha!

but i'm still weirded out...so what, you just don't look, unless you're gay, and then you should already know what one looks like?

i still think i'd be in the stall if i were a guy. the whole peeing in the urinal thing is just ickky.

Hi Loon, trust me the urinal is safer than a stall! And if for some reason the urinal is not an option, then if it's only pee then leaving the stall door open is the best bet... otherwise there may be the dreaded knock!

I usually check for scribbled notes before closing the dooor on a stall if i have to do #2's. There's nothing worse than finding one too late that says something like "be here at 3.30pm tuesday 12th September" (when that's the date and time) and then getting a knock. I've sat in stalls for fucking ages waiting till I'm sure evryone has left the restroom. Public toilets are scarey.

• 4 months later...

The first time I was on lamictal I developed a problem where I couldn't pee. Not quite yours, I couldn't pee anywhere, it just wouldn't come out. After a cocktail switch and a few years later I'm back on lamictal, 300mg, no problems. Mabye it's a combo of med side effects and pee-shyness as the others have suggested. I'd get it checked out though, mine started as something minor and got so bad that I ended up in the ER, with them threatening to put in a cathader (sp?) if I couldn't empty my bladder. I almost died forcing myself to pee in their little bottle, I was NOT going to have a tube shoved up my wee-wee. Hope you get your problem "flushed" out.

Most of my Life,

was spent in the

Woods,

for one reason or

another.

It's find a tree

if you are shy,

living with a Fire Crew

for weeks,

you Will lose

any hesitation,

we lined-up