Trileptal, Adderall, and Cannabis (cannabis unprescribed)

Alright, Ive been taking trileptal for almost two weeks now. I also take 30mg adderall xr and 15mg adderall daily. Sometimes I take more adderall than I'm supposed, and I don't know why. Oh, and I also smoke marijuana, but not prescribed, as you probably know. Anyway, I was wondering if it is normal for trileptal to make someone extremely confused, dizzy, memory problems, tired, and dissoriented. oh and headaches.

Anyway, I was wondering how long it takes for these problems to go away, if ever, and how common they are. Also, I was wondering if marijuana may be counteracting the effects of the trileptal for my bipolar. and im not sure if i even am truly bipolar. The biggest problem im having with the trileptal is that i can't carry a thought, talk right, or understand what people are saying to me. Will this go away over time?

oh i just remembered a couple more things. ive always had anxiety but now its even stronger than before. i really can't carry on a conversation right now. i'll just look into peoples eyes and nod or say ok, something along those lines. and another thing is, normal worries, like while driving and nearly avoiding an accident don't seem to phase me. its kind of weird, like i don't care what happens to me, but the anxiety and paranoia i get around people is intense. it's always been bad but not this bad. i don't know if it's adjusting to trileptal. or the fact that im adding weed into the mix. and while im at it i might is well throw in that im a former substance abuser of pretty much whatever would mess me up. ill just leave it at that.

Ok, I know of a neat little drug-drug interaction checker, which you can find here,

I ran through combos of trileptal, adderall and marijuana and none came up. If you add alcohol to the list though, then all hell breaks loose with the way that works with your (official and unofficial) meds.

Some blurb about the typical side effects of Trileptal, with the relevant ones for you in bold:

Trileptal's Typical Side Effects: Those common for anticonvulsants. Like all meds that hit your temporal lobe, you'll feel tired, confused, uncoordinated, even somewhat drunk and disoriented. You'll have problems with your memory, have a hard time thinking and things will just seem really strange. ... For the most part these will pass, or at least they won't be so bad, within a couple of weeks. Or a month. And, of course, they'll come back when your dosage goes up. But they usually won't be as bad or last as long the next time around. Unless you're getting way more Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) than you should be. Of the three temporal lobe-affecting meds, Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) seems to have the lowest side effect profile. So these effects are either less likely to hit you or they won't hit you as badly. If you're switching from Tegretol (carbamazepine USP) you may not even experience any of these if you've dealt with them already

Source: crazymeds.us

So according to that list it seems as though what you're experiencing would fit into that. I really don't like the sound of you messing with your adderall dose though.. despite feeling that you need to do anything just to cope, I would be very surprised if the combination of the add, tri and marijuana weren't screwing with you on some level.

As far as the Trileptal goes, it really really was the easiest med I've ever been put on (and I've had a lot thrown at me while the pdocs have been figuring me out) The only thing I recall is it knocking me out at night for about a week, and those symptoms disappeared very quickly.

Here's where I sound preachy: I am not a psychiatrist, so can only go on gut feeling, but you seem to be spiralling out of control because your 2 meds (3 with the weed) aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing. And you sound frantic enough to NOT do anything about THAT.

Please see your pdoc asap and have an honest chat with him or her... there's always someone to talk to around here, but at the end of the day the pdoc's the place to be..

take care of yourself

Skittle

and while im at it i might is well throw in that im a former substance abuser of pretty much whatever would mess me up. ill just leave it at that.

Now I'm wearing my ex-opiate-addict hat. You need help with this... whatEVER you're taking on the side is ultimately going to mess with or completely negate your legit meds. Please be very, very careful. I can't tell you to go running into rehab (I've been there myself and it's worth it, just not barrells of fun), but I can warn you from the perspective of someone who HAS made happy little mixes of her psych meds and other... stuff. Substance abuse can really mess around with our real psychiatric probs and make it incredibly hard for the pdocs to figure out what the hell is wrong with us really. Hell, many of them have problems figuring us out WITHOUT all those extra variables.

i feel retarded for adding so many replies but im trying to throw everything out there to see if someone has had similar experiences. so, with that said, vision problems, back of head headaches, neck and back pain, difficulty turning head, and jaw numbness, pain, and clicking.

yeah skittles, alcohol is in the mix. when i combine the trileptal adderall marijuana and alcohol, i might as well give up on the rest of the day because i flat out feel dazed and confused. should the trileptal side effects diminish if i just strictly stick to trileptal and adderall. especially the tiredness and confusion.

Don't worry about posting more replies. Here then is the list of interactions that popped up in a mix of trileptal, adderall, marijuana and alcohol:

Moderate Drug-Drug Interaction: alcohol (ethanol) and Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) ________________________________________

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills. MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness (e.g., driving or operating hazardous machinery) until they know how these agents affect them.

Moderate Drug-Drug Interaction: alcohol (ethanol) and Adderall (amphetamine-dextroamphetamine)

* The interaction is due to amphetamine which is a component of amphetamine-dextroamphetamine

GENERALLY AVOID: Concurrent administration of methamphetamine and ethanol have been reported to increase heart rate (by 24 beats/minute compared to methamphetamine alone) and decrease blood pressure, thereby increasing cardiac work. This may lead to more adverse cardiovascular effects than either drug taken alone. The combination has also been reported to have diminished the subjective effects of ethanol. The mechanism of these interactions has not been reported. Other amphetamines may have a similar interaction. MANAGEMENT: Coadministration of amphetamines and ethanol is not recommended.

One more thought from me re substance abuse - abusing prescribed or non-prescribed meds can frequently be an indication that the psych med cocktail you're on just isn't the right one for you. I think the theory goes somewhere along the lines that if you're needing to self-medicate to such an extent while seeing a pdoc, then you need to own up (hard, I know) and sit down with him/her to discuss just what it is that drugs are providing you with that the psych meds are NOT. You won't be the first person to talk to them about this, and I'm sure they'd far rather know what they're working with than dealing with someone who might be doped one session and swinging from the chandeliers at the next.

should the trileptal side effects diminish if i just strictly stick to trileptal and adderall

probably yes, assuming those ARE the right meds for you and you ARe taking them at the correct dosages.

When can you next see your pdoc? If not in person, try to set up a telephone consultation.

i never had a problem with adderall and alcohol only but the trileptal really seems to alter the way depressants effect me. in fact, ill still feel drunk or high when i wake up sometimes and that never used to happen. another side effect that i just remembered is this feeling like my head and arms are moving. kind of like a twitch but im not sure if its just all in my head or not. im pretty sure it is, because ive asked people and they say im sitting perfectly still. that will at times make me feel like im sucked into my own little world where i get so selfconscious that i can hear my heart beat and can't hardly talk without thinking im messing my words up. im hoping its just from the marijuana with trileptal and will go away. i used to take depakote and that made me feel all weird so that's why im on trileptal now. can the trileptal make you really confused until you get used to it, and should you be adjusted to the effects in a month max. does trileptal calm social anxieties as well. that's the reason i started drinking and smoking marijuana, among other things in the past. but currently, just the alcohol and marijuana. im already way past the other things. i guess im going to not drink or smoke and see how that goes because this just isn't working out for me. if this is kind of rambled, im sorry, because that's kind of how my mind is right now.

One more thought from me re substance abuse - abusing prescribed or non-prescribed meds can frequently be an indication that the psych med cocktail you're on just isn't the right one for you. I think the theory goes somewhere along the lines that if you're needing to self-medicate to such an extent while seeing a pdoc, then you need to own up (hard, I know) and sit down with him/her to discuss just what it is that drugs are providing you with that the psych meds are NOT. You won't be the first person to talk to them about this, and I'm sure they'd far rather know what they're working with than dealing with someone who might be doped one session and swinging from the chandeliers at the next.

should the trileptal side effects diminish if i just strictly stick to trileptal and adderall

probably yes, assuming those ARE the right meds for you and you ARe taking them at the correct dosages.

When can you next see your pdoc? If not in person, try to set up a telephone consultation.

my next appointment is in 10 or 11 days to check up on the trileptal. i kind of feel bad because doctors can't really help me if i keep throwing unkowns into the equation. even though ive told my doctors about my past, usually in the beginning of when i first meet them. if i wait it out and the trileptal curbs the social anxiety, i can live with that. but can trileptal even do that.

Adderall and Alcohol taken together would account for the jumping-out-of-your skin feeling.

Here's what I was told about trileptal (you haven't mentioned what dose you're on yet.. the therapeutic range really reaches its peak at around 1200mg)..

Don't titrate up too quickly, just take your time.

The wobbly feelings DO go away, though in my case it was more a feeling of being hit by a truck when I woke up in the morning.

I made it up to 1800mg without any probs. I need that dose because it puts a ceiling on my manic periods (I have BP1) Once I got over the first hurdle the side effects waned away. I had ONE (in over 2 years) unpleasant prob with it - double vision - but the pdoc tweaked the dose and that went away immediately.

I can't tell if trileptal will specifically calm down your social anxieties. My primary use of it is with another AC to balance my moods. I still need access to a benzo when my life is spiralling out of control.

You're just not giving your legit meds a chance to work, or for the pdoc to see what is and isn't working. Make an appointment asap - although we'll all try our damndest to help think this through, we're limited to our own experiences in our own fucked-up heads.

If nothing I've said is helpful, then try asking a question about adderall and alcohol on the cocktails board.

Wishing you well

S

my next appointment is in 10 or 11 days to check up on the trileptal. i kind of feel bad because doctors can't really help me if i keep throwing unkowns into the equation. even though ive told my doctors about my past, usually in the beginning of when i first meet them. if i wait it out and the trileptal curbs the social anxiety, i can live with that. but can trileptal even do that.

I'm being blunt here - you're playing dangerous games here. If you can't tell your pdoc in person write it all down so that you're committed to talking about it.

I am on Trileptal and have been for about 5 years. I smoked pot about 2 months ago and it sent me into a psychosis that has lasted ever since then (do a google search for "Cannabis Psychosis"). I now have severe anxiety attacks (severe enough to be hospitalized twice) and I had never had them before in my life. The pot and my combination of drugs obviously did not mix too well and it triggered something in my brain that resulted in this current chaos. My pdoc also said it is his opinion that the marijuana is the main culprit here and that it might take a few months for everything to return to normal.

Moral of the story: is pot really worth it? If you need to "relax" that badly, ask your doc for a benzo or something similar. Mixing illicit drugs with prescription meds is a horrible idea and smoking pot is, well, just stupid and juvenile.

As for Trileptal, the disorientation and the clumsiness are part of the deal, but they will get better with time. Overall, the side effect profile of Trileptal is better than Lithium, Depakote and most other mood stabalizers, so unless it is just unbearable I would give it time. In the long run, you will be glad you did.

Adderall and Alcohol taken together would account for the jumping-out-of-your skin feeling.

Here's what I was told about trileptal (you haven't mentioned what dose you're on yet.. the therapeutic range really reaches its peak at around 1200mg)..

The wobbly feelings DO go away, though in my case it was more a feeling of being hit by a truck when I woke up in the morning.

I made it up to 1800mg without any probs. I need that dose because it puts a ceiling on my manic periods (I have BP1) Once I got over the first hurdle the side effects waned away. I had ONE (in over 2 years) unpleasant prob with it - double vision - but the pdoc tweaked the dose and that went away immediately.

I can't tell if trileptal will specifically calm down your social anxieties. My primary use of it is with another AC to balance my moods. I still need access to a benzo when my life is spiralling out of control.

You're just not giving your legit meds a chance to work, or for the pdoc to see what is and isn't working. Make an appointment asap - although we'll all try our damndest to help think this through, we're limited to our own experiences in our own fucked-up heads.

If nothing I've said is helpful, then try asking a question about adderall and alcohol on the cocktails board.

Wishing you well

S

i just figured out the quotations. i think i take 1200mg of trileptal at night. it's like four 300mg pills. i never really had that much mania before, mainly anxiety. but the adderall definitely increased the mania, so i think the trileptal is supposed to curb that. my old doctor had me on klonopin, ativan, cymbalta, and other shit i don't remember. i can't see him anymore because he said he couldn't trust me after i ended up in detox last december around new years for my opiate detox. i was on the anxiety meds from problems i had with coke and then i ran out of money and ended up going to the psychiatrist. i can't be trusted with anxiety meds because i know ill abuse them. but while taking the anxiety meds i developed a problem with china white thanks to a friend of mine, which caused me to kind of breakdown in december and end up in detox. i can definitely say im better than then, but i feel kind of broke down and lost, like i don't know who i am. and most people really can't understand, i don't think, so i don't mention it out in public. i think ive always had psychological problems, and i think i could hide them for a long time, but all the different drugs i did over a period of about two and half years really brought it out into the open. it's kind of embarrasing, since i didn't touch anything besides alcohol in highschool, to curb anxiety, of course. and then i go way to deep into it in college. and you'd never guess it either, because ive always been real active in sports and don't fit the appearence of a normal so called junkie. i hate that term though, because it doesn't really do justice to the people that just get caught up in it all, and know that they no longer control the substances but it's the other way around.

I'm being blunt here - you're playing dangerous games here. If you can't tell your pdoc in person write it all down so that you're committed to talking about it.

I am on Trileptal and have been for about 5 years. I smoked pot about 2 months ago and it sent me into a psychosis that has lasted ever since then (do a google search for "Cannabis Psychosis"). I now have severe anxiety attacks (severe enough to be hospitalized twice) and I had never had them before in my life. The pot and my combination of drugs obviously did not mix too well and it triggered something in my brain that resulted in this current chaos. My pdoc also said it is his opinion that the marijuana is the main culprit here and that it might take a few months for everything to return to normal.

Moral of the story: is pot really worth it? If you need to "relax" that badly, ask your doc for a benzo or something similar. Mixing illicit drugs with prescription meds is a horrible idea and smoking pot is, well, just stupid and juvenile.

As for Trileptal, the disorientation and the clumsiness are part of the deal, but they will get better with time. Overall, the side effect profile of Trileptal is better than Lithium, Depakote and most other mood stabalizers, so unless it is just unbearable I would give it time. In the long run, you will be glad you did.

ive been a daily pot user for about three years now, and never had the problems like ive had with the mixture of trileptal. its actually pretty scary, however, nothing like the some of the other things ive dealt with recovering from.

did you have the feeling like your head was shaking sometimes. i don't think i can mix benzos and adderall. i mean i could, i just don't think a doctor would go for it. ive always had anxiety problems, but not like this. does trileptal help at all with anxiety, especially social anxiety. i really see no point in taking it if it doesn't because that's all im worried about fixing right now.

normal so called junkie

One of my addictions counsellors (there were a few stays in rehabs for me) hated that I was obsessing over the fact that I wasn't what I thought was a "normal junkie". Sure, my using was affecting my performance at work, and denting relationships with my family etc etc, but to my mind I was FUNCTIONING and that's all that counted. 2 weeks after leaving the clinic I had to go back for a mandatory drug test, and there bumped into a guy I got to know quite well - also there for his pee test. Next thing I heard, he'd passed the test, gone out and scored a shitload of heroin and overdosed the very next day. It hit me fucking hard.

We talked it through in my outpatient group sessions and a light went on in my head... of all the 30 or so people turning up every week, at least 90% fit the "normal" label - jobs, homes, families, just screwed up heads and obsessions. The few who weren't were never going to work on themselves in the first place, and would show up with fresh needle tracks on their arms. They followed the route of the friend I mentioned earlier.

The point to telling you this (yes, there IS a point) is that we can't and shouldn't convince ourselves that "our" problem doesn't remotely resemble that of a "real addict" simply because we're more or less getting on with our lives. I can't stand NA, but I do subscribe to their theory that addiction is a disease and presents itself in hundreds, if not thousands of forms. It's great that you're making it through college, keeping healthy (physically, not mentally).. you just need to own up and get that damn psych med cocktail functioning at its optimal level for YOU. Who cares what the pdocs think... they're there to work with YOU, and if you're feeling threatened, not listened to, or abused in that relationship, then it's time to move on and find someone else. I'm assuming you're in your early 20's... NOW is as good a time as any to start getting things right. It's a bloody long road, and you may in fact find that Trileptal isn't the med for you after all, but at least give the pdoc a chance to see it acting on its own without all your little additions.

<end preach>

normal so called junkie

One of my addictions counsellors (there were a few stays in rehabs for me) hated that I was obsessing over the fact that I wasn't what I thought was a "normal junkie". Sure, my using was affecting my performance at work, and denting relationships with my family etc etc, but to my mind I was FUNCTIONING and that's all that counted. 2 weeks after leaving the clinic I had to go back for a mandatory drug test, and there bumped into a guy I got to know quite well - also there for his pee test. Next thing I heard, he'd passed the test, gone out and scored a shitload of heroin and overdosed the very next day. It hit me fucking hard.

We talked it through in my outpatient group sessions and a light went on in my head... of all the 30 or so people turning up every week, at least 90% fit the "normal" label - jobs, homes, families, just screwed up heads and obsessions. The few who weren't were never going to work on themselves in the first place, and would show up with fresh needle tracks on their arms. They followed the route of the friend I mentioned earlier.

The point to telling you this (yes, there IS a point) is that we can't and shouldn't convince ourselves that "our" problem doesn't remotely resemble that of a "real addict" simply because we're more or less getting on with our lives. I can't stand NA, but I do subscribe to their theory that addiction is a disease and presents itself in hundreds, if not thousands of forms. It's great that you're making it through college, keeping healthy (physically, not mentally).. you just need to own up and get that damn psych med cocktail functioning at its optimal level for YOU. Who cares what the pdocs think... they're there to work with YOU, and if you're feeling threatened, not listened to, or abused in that relationship, then it's time to move on and find someone else. I'm assuming you're in your early 20's... NOW is as good a time as any to start getting things right. It's a bloody long road, and you may in fact find that Trileptal isn't the med for you after all, but at least give the pdoc a chance to see it acting on its own without all your little additions.

<end preach>

keeping healthy (physically, not mentally).. you just need to own up and get that damn psych med cocktail functioning at its optimal level for YOU.

that's exactly how i feel. physically, im ok, and fine, but mentally im a mess. i try and cover it up walking around with fake smiles and basically don't say anything to most people. i probably give off the impression of someone who is angry or an asshole, when im really just scared and trying to fight these demons. because i really don't seem to feel happy ever, anymore. but it seems when i get time by myself im really hurtin and confused. and old friends kind of disappeared except for the few true ones. i just want to have control over my feelings again. the anxiety is the one thing i need to gain control of.

i need to give the meds a chance but for some reason i don't know if im bipolar or just mixed up from chemicals. and im pretty sure the adderall increases the mania stages. i don't even know if im really add either or just lack concentration and focus from chemicals too. im having trouble remembering how i used to feel. i know ive never felt great but i remember i had control over my emotions before.

The meds MIGHT NOT BE THE RIGHT ONES FOR YOU! Or they might be but the alcohol and weed and whatever else you have lurking in your past might be sending them way off track.

I'm starting to sound like an overanxious mother here - just please write down EVERYTHING you've told us, GET to the pdoc (in the next week if you can - see if they have a cancellation), TELL him/her about what you've been doing, about feeling out of control, and do NOT leave out the parts of your self-medicating. I put on happy faces for my pdocs for a long time til the whole thing fell apart and I found myself in rehab. They literally had to clean all the shit out my system before they could begin a sensible look at what worked and what didn't.

YES you need to give the meds a chance, but from what you're saying, you're simply NOT going to able to do that alone. Can you honestly say that you can miraculously put the weed aside for a month? On your own? With no support and tons of temptation around you? And who knows what you'll be flying on to next?

The more this thread continues, the more I'm seeing that it has less to do with the efficacy of Trileptal on its own than it does with the other crap you're mixing it with. And I very much doubt you'll find anyone here who'll give you the OK to keep doing what you're doing.

I'm sorry, I know you asked for help, I'm just frustrated now.

Be strong

normal so called junkie

<end preach>

keeping healthy (physically, not mentally).. you just need to own up and get that damn psych med cocktail functioning at its optimal level for YOU.

that's exactly how i feel. physically, im ok, and fine, but mentally im a mess. i try and cover it up walking around with fake smiles and basically don't say anything to most people. i probably give off the impression of someone who is angry or an asshole, when im really just scared and trying to fight these demons. because i really don't seem to feel happy ever, anymore. but it seems when i get time by myself im really hurtin and confused. and old friends kind of disappeared except for the few true ones. i just want to have control over my feelings again. the anxiety is the one thing i need to gain control of.

i need to give the meds a chance but for some reason i don't know if im bipolar or just mixed up from chemicals. and im pretty sure the adderall increases the mania stages. i don't even know if im really add either or just lack concentration and focus from chemicals too. im having trouble remembering how i used to feel. i know ive never felt great but i remember i had control over my emotions before.

The meds MIGHT NOT BE THE RIGHT ONES FOR YOU! Or they might be but the alcohol and weed and whatever else you have lurking in your past might be sending them way off track.

I'm starting to sound like an overanxious mother here - just please write down EVERYTHING you've told us, GET to the pdoc (in the next week if you can - see if they have a cancellation), TELL him/her about what you've been doing, about feeling out of control, and do NOT leave out the parts of your self-medicating. I put on happy faces for my pdocs for a long time til the whole thing fell apart and I found myself in rehab. They literally had to clean all the shit out my system before they could begin a sensible look at what worked and what didn't.

YES you need to give the meds a chance, but from what you're saying, you're simply NOT going to able to do that alone. Can you honestly say that you can miraculously put the weed aside for a month? On your own? With no support and tons of temptation around you? And who knows what you'll be flying on to next?

The more this thread continues, the more I'm seeing that it has less to do with the efficacy of Trileptal on its own than it does with the other crap you're mixing it with. And I very much doubt you'll find anyone here who'll give you the OK to keep doing what you're doing.

I'm sorry, I know you asked for help, I'm just frustrated now.

Be strong

after thinking about that, i think your right. i think im just trying to find something to blame and meds are just convienient when it's my self medicating that's causing the biggest problem. it's weird though, because im afraid if im 100% straight with my doc that I'll lose the adderall. ive felt this way before and i don't know if i have it in me to do it? i know i should but i don't know? im going to have to do some deep thinking

losing the adderall isn't a given. It depends entirely on what what final, clean dx you wind up with once you've worked with your pdoc to find out just what state you're in without the extra little helpers. It should actually be a relief for you to HAVE a dx that makes sense to you. When I finally got over the shock of being dx'd with BP, all the pieces started to fall into place - a kind of aha! moment (so THAT'S why I had been abusing my body in an endless search to find peace of mind that eventually just spiralled right out of control)

If there is ADD involved in your dx then adderall isn't the only port of call. But you need to think about WHY it scares you to have it taken away - is it because you feel more functional and sped up on it, in an appropriate way, or has it just become another drug crutch for you to hang on to. Hard questions to answer. It takes guts to lay it all out on the table in front of the pdoc, but I can only think that they'll be glad to hear some honesty and will listen to your concerns from there. I have an excellent relationship with my pdoc, who listens to my input, discusses all the med options and makes us feel more like a team than a doctor-patient power relationship. I hope you can find something like that for yourself.

Good luck

FWIW I used to be a pretty hardcore stoner and then it started making me confused and paranoid every time I smoked once my OCD kicked in in my early to mid 20s. There's a possible interaction you're leaving out of the equation here, a drug brain interaction. MI can change on its own and it could just be that your brain has morphed into one that can't handle pot anymore. You didn't mention your age, but if it's under 30 this is more likely.

FWIW I used to be a pretty hardcore stoner and then it started making me confused and paranoid every time I smoked once my OCD kicked in in my early to mid 20s. There's a possible interaction you're leaving out of the equation here, a drug brain interaction. MI can change on its own and it could just be that your brain has morphed into one that can't handle pot anymore. You didn't mention your age, but if it's under 30 this is more likely.

well, im 21 right now. whats an MI? as far as drugs go, im not sure if i can handle any of the illegal substances anymore. its weird, because i was fine with them for about 2 and half years on a daily basis. then it's just like i get more anxious and panicky than i used to. and ill think people know im on something and get all paranoid.

ive heard alot people mention lamictal. now what exactly is this used for and can it be use inconjuction with trileptal. it seems like im not getting as manic as i have been but i still get kind of depressed. also, my head has cleared slightly just over the past couple days from taking the weed out of the equation. but my mood shifts often.

ive heard alot people mention lamictal. now what exactly is this used for and can it be use inconjuction with trileptal. it seems like im not getting as manic as i have been but i still get kind of depressed. also, my head has cleared slightly just over the past couple days from taking the weed out of the equation. but my mood shifts often.

a common sidfe effect is deplation of sodium levels

thisw causes horrible fatigue

talk wyour doc about it

it is far more common that literature suggests

does this mean i need to eat salty foods.

ive heard alot people mention lamictal. now what exactly is this used for and can it be use inconjuction with trileptal. it seems like im not getting as manic as i have been but i still get kind of depressed

your last few posts are confusing (all the misplaced quotes), so I can't tell if this was answered or not.

Lamictal works differently to Trileptal. Many (but I don't think all) BP people are given 2 mood stabilisers. The aim of the 2 is both to bring you up (not into mania, just out of a depressive stage) and to bring you down (not into depression, just out of a potential manic phase. Imagine two parallel lines-- as long as you're within them you're neither manic nor depressed, but your BP is managed. The trileptal pulls you in from the top and the lamictal pulls you in from the bottom so that you stay in a stable place without wobbling. (most of the time; we all have problems with meds pooping out occasionally. In that case you'd go back and rediscuss meds and dosages with the pdoc)

Simplistic explanation, but that's basically it. It's not as simple as just taking Lamictal instead of Trileptal, as they both work in different ways.

Glad you're getting the weed out your system. Whenever you do see your pdoc ask his/her views on using two AC's.

talk wyour doc about it

yes my doc told me to add salty foods or some gatorade to my diet. It helped but then I had my levels tested and it was dangerously low so I stopped it. My doc said everyone he put on trileptal had problems w their (low) sodium levels

get it checked to see if it is low

if you're exhausted then that is probably the reason

talk wyour doc about it

ive heard alot people mention lamictal. now what exactly is this used for and can it be use inconjuction with trileptal. it seems like im not getting as manic as i have been but i still get kind of depressed

your last few posts are confusing (all the misplaced quotes), so I can't tell if this was answered or not.

Lamictal works differently to Trileptal. Many (but I don't think all) BP people are given 2 mood stabilisers. The aim of the 2 is both to bring you up (not into mania, just out of a depressive stage) and to bring you down (not into depression, just out of a potential manic phase. Imagine two parallel lines-- as long as you're within them you're neither manic nor depressed, but your BP is managed. The trileptal pulls you in from the top and the lamictal pulls you in from the bottom so that you stay in a stable place without wobbling. (most of the time; we all have problems with meds pooping out occasionally. In that case you'd go back and rediscuss meds and dosages with the pdoc)

Simplistic explanation, but that's basically it. It's not as simple as just taking Lamictal instead of Trileptal, as they both work in different ways.

Glad you're getting the weed out your system. Whenever you do see your pdoc ask his/her views on using two AC's.

yeah, ill talk to her about it next appointment. because right now, i don't seem to have much drive. kind of like i just don't really want to do anything. it's kind of hard to explain. so, lamictal is mainly used to combat depression. how does it work, and does it make you tired? And is lamictal pronounced "Lamb Ick Tall", I want to know the pronounciation so I can ask my pdoc about it?

• 6 months later...
Guest Liane

I have bipolar and a partial seizure syndrome. I just started lamictal today and the only side effect my doctor told me about was the rash. At first it made me get really hyper and anxious. I smoked some weed thinking it would calm me down, and got the complete opposite reaction. It felt more like speed x10! Is this a reaction I should know about or anything I should be worried about?

I can only tell you about Trileptal. It took about a month for me to stop stumbling like a drunk and walking into doorways, but it passed. I have moderate drug interactions with my other meds (increased CNS effects). I am adjusted now and only occasionally walk into walls now. ;)

The start up effects of Trileptal are a noticeable drunkenness and it took about a month to adjust and have it actually stabilize my moods. I take half my dose in the morning.

I'm not sure if this is of any help to you, but that is my experience.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Wishing you well

S

i just figured out the quotations. i think i take 1200mg of trileptal at night. it's like four 300mg pills. i never really had that much mania before, mainly anxiety. but the adderall definitely increased the mania, so i think the trileptal is supposed to curb that. my old doctor had me on klonopin, ativan, cymbalta, and other shit i don't remember. i can't see him anymore because he said he couldn't trust me after i ended up in detox last december around new years for my opiate detox. i was on the anxiety meds from problems i had with coke and then i ran out of money and ended up going to the psychiatrist. i can't be trusted with anxiety meds because i know ill abuse them. but while taking the anxiety meds i developed a problem with china white thanks to a friend of mine, which caused me to kind of breakdown in december and end up in detox. i can definitely say im better than then, but i feel kind of broke down and lost, like i don't know who i am. and most people really can't understand, i don't think, so i don't mention it out in public. i think ive always had psychological problems, and i think i could hide them for a long time, but all the different drugs i did over a period of about two and half years really brought it out into the open. it's kind of embarrasing, since i didn't touch anything besides alcohol in highschool, to curb anxiety, of course. and then i go way to deep into it in college. and you'd never guess it either, because ive always been real active in sports and don't fit the appearence of a normal so called junkie. i hate that term though, because it doesn't really do justice to the people that just get caught up in it all, and know that they no longer control the substances but it's the other way around.

Hey there,

I understand your feelings. I know how it feels to break down, to be lost, to hit rock bottom alone. Listen to me, I really want to help you. You WILL get better. Your dreams will come true. You will love and be loved and go on with all of this behind you, but I need you to WANT this change. There is nothing to be ashamed of. You are a beautiful person but you MUST forfeit the drugs. You have to go to AA. Must! You need a supportive environment like AA. And, you need to see a therapist every week and try to get into your past, your childhood and resolve all of your unresolved issues. They are hurting you. You have to enter a recovery phase. It takes a lot to will. But you can save yourself if you do it.

I'm on 600mg of Trileptal, have been for a little over three weeks now. I was abusing drugs--pain killers, grass, alcohol, and hallucinogenics. When I saw my doctor he told me that I needed to stop because looking at me and making a diagnosis was impossible. The built up residue of the drugs had covered me with mud. And to him, I had to be wiped clean so that he could see through a clear window, into me, and understand what I'm really suffering from. We had to remove all the additional elements such as street drugs and circumstantial stress factors (i.e. fights with my boy friend, of family, or boss) in order to dig-up the problem buried underneath, which if resolved would alleviate the need for self-medicating and acting out behaviorally.

Moving on, the symptoms you describe are serious. It is of the utmost importance that you speak to your physician in total confidence. He has dealt with this before. Don't worry. This is their job. Don't be afraid. Tell him everything. It could save your life. And there is nothing more precious than your life--for you, for your family, for all those who love you. So, please stop hurting yourself. I hurt myself, like you, for a long time. But we have to love ourselves so much more than to do these things to ourselves. You have to stop smoking pot. I love pot to. But it is a psychoactive drug and may be interfering with the Trileptal. Please ask your physician about that. Besides that, pot makes you lazy and tired and takes at least a day to recover from it. Furthermore, I have had full-on anxiety attacks when I smoked too much pot and the Trileptal doesn't treat anxiety. I'm not sure what the combination of the two drugs leads to, but I would be interested to find out.

Now, my side effects on Trileptal have been moderately similar to yours. I have amnesia like experiences, so there is a definite loss of memory. However, now that I have been taking the medication for nearly one month, that side effect is wearing off. Insomnia is another side-effect that has been affecting me. I have read that confusion and fatigue are also side-effects. However, I don't feel tired all the time. Just sometimes. Compared to SSRI's though, that's nothing. When I was on Wellbutrin XL and Effexor XR, I was drowsy and tired for the entire six to nine months I was on the medication. I also had several panic attacks and one Seizure. That's what it took for me to realize that I was mis-diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety. My new doctor has diagnosed me with Ulta-Fast-Cycling Bi-Polar II, and the Trileptal have saved my life. I was very suicidal before I started seeing my doctor and taking the meds. I was at the bottom of my pit and seriously considering suicide. On my hypo-manic moods I was irritable and angry, violent even. My moods would often changed every few hours. But my system was so deluded with drugs, legal and illegal, that my cycling had many different phases and lacked any quantifiable pattern. But most people suffering from Bi-Polar disorder experience this because we live in a world full of stimulants, over the counter drugs, and stress--all of which affect the illness and its manifestations. The olden pure Bi-Polar of the famous artists we know, who would be manic for two weeks and extremely depressed for another two is rare nowadays. This is what my doctor tells me. So, even if you are not convinced that you have bi-polar, its worth being open to the diagnosis and giving the medicine an honest chance. Our ideas of what Bi-Polar is is very different from what it actually is. And, there is a huge range within this disease. Some people enter psychotic episodes and have to be treated with anti-psychotics, especially those who have left the disease untreated and have self-medicated with street drugs, since a lot of street drugs, like pot, work like SSRI's they can have damaging effects like anti-depressants do on bi-polar patients. Also, pot and other psychoactive drugs can expose psychotic potential. Often, patients who have self-medicated with such drugs can't respond to the more manageable medications, like Trileptal, and end up having to get on Anti-Psychotics! I don't know the statistics here, but its not worth risking.

I'm sorry that your previous doctor refuses to see you now. That's hurtful. He doesn't seem like a very compassionate doctor. Therefore, I'm sure he is not the right doctor for you. You need someone open who is willing to listen to you and work through it all with you. Someone with whom you can speak about the fact that you are tweaking your Adderal dosage. As a doctor, knowing that he is dealing with a patient suffering from a mood disorder, he should be able to put you on the right medication so that you don't feel the NEED to tweak or "abuse." You need to work with a physician who can trust you, because you are open with him, and who is willing to take this difficult journey with you--even if you end up in detox--and to try to find the right combination and dosage of medications for you so that you can lead the happy and productive life that you so DESERVE, and so that you can be you again. This is HIS job and if he does his job right and understands his patient, the patient will not end up in detox. Now, once you find this doctor, you have to work with him to help him help you. You should write down anything that you think would help him understand what is going on in your body. You should write down how much of what you are taking when and how your body is responding. You should date it, so that he can see patterns. It seems dull and tedious, but is necessary. Since, unfortunately, they are not doing brain scans on us to figure this shit out. They are GUESSING, based on the information WE make available to them. So, our job is to make that information abundant and accurate. Please, do this for yourself. Don't hurt yourself anymore.

• 5 months later...
Guest Beccab

It is very important for you to educate yourself on your medications and how they all interact with each other. There are a lot of issues in your message that should be addressed. First is the trileptal being used to treat seizures or a mood disorder (such as Bipolar disorder). If the trileptal is being used to treat a mood disorder taking aderol can be VERY VERY dangerous. First off....the type of medication Adderol is can actually increase manic episodes. If you are struggling with rapidly cycling moods such as manic or hypo manic highs with major depressive episodes the aderol can actually increase these symptoms. I now this because I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and am currently taking trileptal. I was previously on Adderol and once my psychiatrist found out he IMMEDIATELY took me off of it. I was on 30 mg of adderall xr and 50 mg of sertraline (zoloft) Both medications can exacerbate manic episodes. Secondly, smoking weed and while also taking aderall can also cause Strokes...especially if you also smoke cigarettes.

I am not a doctor at all but I can give you this advice and know it is sound because I have been exactly where you are at. As I said previously I have bipolar disorder and am currently being treated with trileptal. It has been pretty effective at stabalizing my moods but I also quit taking the adderall per dr. request. I also smoke cigarettes and weed but have recently have thought about stopping at least for a week or two to appropriately evaluate whether or not the trileptal is actually effective or not.

Weed is probably what is causing the spaciness in your brain and giving you the inability to finish your thoughts. I know because I have that sometimes as well ;)) From my experience smoking weed while taking adderall actually increases your high...however it can cause strokes and many other unwanted side effects.

As for the headaches .... that can be a side effect of the trileptal. Those side effects should subside after about 1-2 weeks worth of taking the meds. If they don't I would tell your doctor so he can take appropriate action and get you on different meds. THe most important thing for you to remember is to BE COMPLETELY HONEST WITH YOUR DOCTOR. You CANNOT legally have anything happen to you for smoking weed by telling your dr. Confidentiality clauses legally protect you from the doctor being able to report the illegal activity... so no worries there!

Lastly, bi polar disorder is really hard to deal with. I have suspected that I might have it for about nine months but have been mis diagnosed for about 3 years. I finally decided to see a psychiatrist because I felt like the meds I was on were not working the way they were supposed to. I have just graduated with my degree in social work and do not claim to have any professional knowledge about medications, diagnosing, or the reactions that can take place when mixing medications. However I do know from my own personal experience about all of the drugs that you mentioned. People living with bipolar disorder or much more likely to self medicate by using weed to control moods. I understand this rational because I do it. Weed still seems to be the only thing that can bring me down safely from a hypo manic state.

My main concern for you is that you are taking the adderall. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be very careful when mixing these two drugs. IT will also help with the spaciness to discontinue either the weed or the adderall. (My personal opinion sways toward discontinuing the adderal while on trileptal because adderal can counteract what the trileptal is trying to do.) If you have ADD you need to look into medications like strattera or effexor.

Anyhoo...I will wrap this up with you but please take care of yourself and be careful. Bipolar disorder is so difficult to deal with. There is nothing worse than feeling as though you cannot control your emotions and feel like a "normal" person unless you take meds. However, it is vitally important that you be compliant with your doctors regimen of medications and take care of yourself emotionally and physically. be safe...

It is very important for you to educate yourself on your medications and how they all interact with each other. There are a lot of issues in your message that should be addressed. First is the trileptal being used to treat seizures or a mood disorder (such as Bipolar disorder). If the trileptal is being used to treat a mood disorder taking aderol can be VERY VERY dangerous. First off....the type of medication Adderol is can actually increase manic episodes. If you are struggling with rapidly cycling moods such as manic or hypo manic highs with major depressive episodes the aderol can actually increase these symptoms. I now this because I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and am currently taking trileptal. I was previously on Adderol and once my psychiatrist found out he IMMEDIATELY took me off of it. I was on 30 mg of adderall xr and 50 mg of sertraline (zoloft) Both medications can exacerbate manic episodes. Secondly, smoking weed and while also taking aderall can also cause Strokes...especially if you also smoke cigarettes.

That's by and large a load of crap. It's perfectly fine and normal to have bipolar and be treated with a stimulant for ADHD. The important thing is to be stable on a mood stabilizer before starting the stimulant. Treat the bipolar first and you'll most likely be fine.

You're responding to a post that's three years old btw.

• 1 month later...
Guest trippinagain

Alright, Ive been taking trileptal for almost two weeks now. I also take 30mg adderall xr and 15mg adderall daily. Sometimes I take more adderall than I'm supposed, and I don't know why. Oh, and I also smoke marijuana, but not prescribed, as you probably know. Anyway, I was wondering if it is normal for trileptal to make someone extremely confused, dizzy, memory problems, tired, and dissoriented. oh and headaches.

Anyway, I was wondering how long it takes for these problems to go away, if ever, and how common they are. Also, I was wondering if marijuana may be counteracting the effects of the trileptal for my bipolar. and im not sure if i even am truly bipolar. The biggest problem im having with the trileptal is that i can't carry a thought, talk right, or understand what people are saying to me. Will this go away over time?

I am supposed to be on triliptal for my bi-polar, I have a prescription for Adderall, both per my doc's, and I smoke weed and drink on my own, occasionaly, well the alchol at least. Anywase, I just read Triliptal's medicine board and you seem to be experiencing some of the negative affects of the Triliptal; however, I could be wrong, Maybe you should let your doc's know.

I am supposed to be on triliptal for my bi-polar, I have a prescription for Adderall, both per my doc's, and I smoke weed and drink

That could explain why you're still stuck in 2006.

• 1 year later...
Guest bi polar

i am on trileptal for around 3 months and smoke weed everyday .. it just gave me the same effects as weed used to give before trileptal but if i add drinking into the mix thats when i feel out of the loop .....

Archived