Middle of the Night Eating

I posted this in "side effects," but got no response... so thought I'd try posting here.

--------------

I'm up at 4am, scarfing cashews from a can. I don't even like cashews. This Seroquel carb cravingthing is getting out of hand. This is the third time I've been up tonight, and I've eaten all threetimes. Ugh!

I just looked in the refrigerator and realized that I have gotten up and gnoshed on ham, cheese, chocolate during hte night tonight! and I didn't even enjoy it! I was hardly even awake for it. It was more like sleep-eating. I remember eating ham wiht my eyes closed and falling asleep in the middle and waking up when my head falls onto my chest.

I hate it. ;)

----------------

Help! I don't know what to do. I do this eating when I am not even fully awake. I'm much closer to being asleep than awake. I don't even remember it, until I see the can of half-eaten nuts or the half-eaten cheese in the morning.

I am desperately trying to lose weight on Seroquel, which is a battle in and of itself. I do well during the day and then completely SABOTAGE myself in the middle of the night. I am SO disgusted.

HELP!

What works for other people? I cannot keep doign this, or I'll weigh 500 lbs and have diabetes and a heart attack!!!

Yikes!!!!! Libby that sucks! I've heard of nocturnal binging, but it hasn't happened to me.

Shit, maybe you need to keep an empty fridge and just pick up your food daily. I hope someone else has a better solution for you than that.

interesting about the topomax, but everybody says it makes them stupid. I think it might be worth trying if this keeps up.

Or I wonder if a higher dose of Seroquel would knock me out more. Last night I skipped the klonopin, and I woke up less and had less of a screamingly urgent desire to eat. I think maybe the klono was removing my impulse inhibition.

It's always SOMETHING.

Libby, I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I have been night bingeing this past year as well, with increased frequency...I've been on two antidepressants since this started, but I have no idea if it's a side effect or just part of my recent downward spiral. My dr's most recent attempt to help me with this was to prescribe me Ativan to take at bedtime since night bingeing seems toI have much to do with anxiety. It's only been a week or two, but I've only succeeded in noticeing and thwarting the urge to get up and raid the fridge ONCE that I can remember.

Another suggestion my therapist had was to try & "plan" nighttime binges. Like set up something you are "allowed" to eat when you wake up. I haven't done this yet, and I have no idea if I'll be lucid enough to stick to it, but it could be worth a shot. My thoughts are half a sandwich or a banana and a glass of milk might be decent "legal" middle of the night foods.

I'm sorry I can't be more help...it's something I've been struggling with too, though, so I figured I'd chime in. I'm also trying to lose weight, but instead GAINED 40 lbs in the last year while technically on a "diet".

Hiya Libby-

I had that problem on Zyprexa and had to give it up because I couldn't get any good answers on how to stop the nocturnal eating. I ate rather normally during the day (except the sugar cravings, which I planned for), but at night I ate everything I could get my hands on. Like you, I didn't enjoy my food. I was gaining weight and couldn't stop the scale. I ran to my pnurse in tears. We had to stop Z for a number of reasons, weight gain/nocturnal eating being one of them.

I wish I could have controlled it and the other side effects, because Z was a wonder drug for me.

While I have nothing to contribute except the fact that I've gone through the same thing (especially with sweets, like DAIRY QUEEN!!!!), I am interested in seeing if there are good ideas that pop up here. Maybe someday I can give Z another chance. That is, if my hair will stay on my head this time ;)

Loon

Well, things are going better with the middle of hte night bingeing. I stopped the Klonopin at bedtime, and am just taking the Seroquel. One thing I noticed is that I need to take the S. and get IN BED. If I stay up, waiting for it to kick in, then huge hunger pangs take over and I'll scarf something before I know it. It's like being DRIVEN to eat by some otherworldly force. Really weird.

Also, when I do get up in the middle of the night, I make myself eat protein, like cheese or soy milk, not carbs. That seems to have helped somehow. I guess it evens out the blood sugar some. Cheese is still fattening, BUT it's the carbs that you cannot metabolize on Seroquel. At least cheese doesn't turn directly into fat while you're still eating it.

Come to think of it, I have no refined carbs in the house, so there's nothing to grab, except for sugar free fudgcicles, and they're only 40 cal.

Or I wonder if a higher dose of Seroquel would knock me out more

I was going to suggest this as a possibility too. You haven't had any problems titrating up on seroquel, have you? Maybe talk to your pdoc about going up another 50 or 100mg?

But from all you've been saying on the boards, I think you actually have been doing really well Libby - you paid attention when your pnurse told you about the refined carb thing and you've been putting it into action.

How about dried fruit as an option? Sundried fruit is filling, full of fibre and can make you feel full pretty quickly. Or (just thinking out loud here) you could pre-prepare some bags of things to snack on if you're worried about this. Raisins/ dried apricots/ dry bran cereal (but I'm probably the only one who likes that last option).. baby carrots etc. Put them somewhere where you can grab them as you wander past instead of having to head straight for the fridge.

good luck. And again, I think you've been doing really well in taking control of things. You just ("just" - but is possible) have to set up a routine that you'll follow even when you're half asleep in the middle of the night.

S

Well. I made the mistake of letting myself get too hungry today and then stopped by the grocery store on the way home.

Let's just say that crackers and cheese were on the menu. I bought a half pound of queso fresco and ate nearly all of it. I also bought crackers, the big sin, and ate..... hmm... less than half of them. It was one of those long skinny boxes, which is still too much, but it's not like I ate half a box of Ritz crackers.

So, I was kinda bad, but on the other hand, I stopped sooner than I might have. I think maybe my healthier eating habits are taking hold.

Skittle, ya know, I would like to go up on Seroquel, but I just picked up samples from the pdoc today for 100mg. If I talk to him about going up, then my samples are going to run out sooner. Bummer, man.

• 2 years later...
Guest Guest_julie_*

Hiya Libby-

I had that problem on Zyprexa and had to give it up because I couldn't get any good answers on how to stop the nocturnal eating. I ate rather normally during the day (except the sugar cravings, which I planned for), but at night I ate everything I could get my hands on. Like you, I didn't enjoy my food. I was gaining weight and couldn't stop the scale. I ran to my pnurse in tears. We had to stop Z for a number of reasons, weight gain/nocturnal eating being one of them.

I wish I could have controlled it and the other side effects, because Z was a wonder drug for me.

While I have nothing to contribute except the fact that I've gone through the same thing (especially with sweets, like DAIRY QUEEN!!!!), I am interested in seeing if there are good ideas that pop up here. Maybe someday I can give Z another chance. That is, if my hair will stay on my head this time ;)

Loon

hey Libby,

So sorry about all the drama. Sounds horrid! Had the same thing before with zolpimed/stilnox. (not sure if its exactly the same) My mum is identically, she takes stilnox, and the other day she phone me in a state of horror, as she went to bed and woke up with half an emty plate and knife in forks tucked into bed with her. She got up and made an entire batch of pancakes and ate them all to herself in bed!!! She was so disgusted with herself!

As far as i was aware its the weight gain (esp. obdominal obsity) that is what results in raise blood glucose levels. Increased appetitite with increased intake of food and increased blood gluce = increased weight and diabetes.

So don't cut out carbs, they essential, but to help cut cravings and control blood sugar aim for slow releasing carbs, complex carbs. Fruit veg, anything high fibre, you even get addefibre products. Eating protein with carb again lowers the GI (rate at which carb(sugar) is released into the diet.

So ideally, always eat the complex car prefereble with a little protein and fat. BALANCE is the key word.

The intake of simple carbs also increases the incidence of depression and mood swings as you constantly on a sugar high and then crash low - depressed.

Died frui and raisins are great cause they got lots of fibre, but in genral, if you want to loss weight I'd avoid them like the plague esp. if u binge in the middle of the night. They are literally just pounds of sugar! Simple sugars too. Blood sugar will rush, and so fatting. Think 10 raisins is the same as 10 grapes! But with added sugar.

Wholewheat toast and teaspoon of peanut butter is good? similar to the nuts, stax of protien, good fats and wholewheat toast should help with that blood sugar? provitas with cottage cheese? i'm not sure what else would work for you.

I think however its more the fact you eating in the middle of the night. make sure you dont go to bed hungry or deprived. When you want a treat have it, but just a little! The you won't go to bed dreaming of it and wake up with pan cakes in your bed!

If you worried you going to do it, I made steamed veg ready and waiting. But then again don't get yourself in to a pattern or your body will do it either way! My mum locked the kitchen door for me, as i never even remembered it half the time.

On one hand, how depressed you, sometimes its comforting, and we don't let ourselfs over induldge, till we take those meds at night and puff we all calmer and laid back and in our groggy state a couple handfull of nuts wont hurt!

But stick to keeping any bad food out the house.

And if you are trying to hard to cut out carb, its going to be natural for your bady to stay dammit, give it to me know, and then catch you unaware.

Sorry if i have made no sense, half asleep.

good luck for the rest of the night

Love Ash

xox

Hey Libby,

You slipped, it happens. You just got to get back on the horse and keep going. You might fall a few more times but thats completely normal. I just wanted to say that, as well as that Im SO there. The little bit of Risperdal I'm taking has made me gain 30lbs in the past few months, just by overeating and night binging. I used to be anorexic before I went on risperdal. The physical aspects isnt a problem anymore, if you know what I mean. Now I just need to get back to my controlled eating, but in a healthy way. Stopping this nightly binge eating would be a start. Oddly enough I'm hoping to switch from Risperdal to Seroquel to stop it (Ive been on seroquel before and havent had the weight gain). So I wish you luck. And again, slips happen. Just get back in the groove.

Twitch

Archived