New book recomendations

I put up some new ad links based on stuff either penny or I have read and strongly recomend. Well. I've not read American Mania yet. I saw it when I was looking up the ISBN for A Mood Apart and thought it looked really really cool. I put up the ad hoping one of you would get it and send me your copy when you're done. I'm just lame like that.

Peter Kramer's new book, Against Depression, is *fantastic*. (He wrote Listening to Prozac back whenever). Well-written, brings a great deal of research together, and very, very clear about why depression should be fought and eradicated as thoroughly as possible.

Incidentally, one of the reviewers for A Mood Apart included the following three paragraphs:

Finally, one of the most fascinating cases I came across was a number of people who had been perfectly normal, but had recently become almost complete "vegetables" and had to be hospitalized. At least so they seemed on the surface. There was nothing wrong with them cognitively, they still had normal reasoning ability and could talk and socialize if they wanted to. They just had no interest in it. They progressively lost interest in their famlies, jobs, friends, everything, and eventually had to be hospitalized.

Finally, it was discovered that these people had amazingly developed an epileptic seizure focus in the orgasm center in the brain. It's been a while since I read the article, but if I remember right, it had the tongue-twisting name of the nucleus reticularis gigantocellularis. In any case, it was in one of the somatosensory processing areas in the thalamus, which is a structure just below the cortex but above the limbic system. Although this is technically a form of epilepsy, there are no convulsions associated with this syndrome (just as there aren't in the case of temporal-lobe epilepsy, which, since it occurs in the memory and associational area of the brain, produces intense visions and memories).

Now it was obvious why these people weren't interested in anything else in their lives. They had orgasms that went on for several minutes, and due to the intensity of the electrical discharge, were probably 10 to 100 times as intense as a normal person's orgasms. And they kept having them. Especially the women patients said it was better than anything they could experience before. So they just sat there, waiting,yearning, hoping, for that next "seizure."

I have no idea if that's even remotely true. The web doesn't appear to know about it. Even if it is true, it's probably still inaccurate.

However, next time I have to be particularly insane, I would like the kind of insane that involves mindshattering orgasms.

Archived