A plea to the long winded . . .

I need those of you with springer threads with over 1000 posts to start new threads so we can move the old ones to the new read only archive sub board. You can pick up right where you left off on the old one. Whenever anyone accesses those super long threads it slows down the board for everyone else who is using it at the same time. I got us industrial strength hosting so for it to be doing that is saying a lot.

For the time being we won't move any active threads until after you've started a new one.

We're also going to be moving the springer threads that have been inactive for longer than six months.

Contact one of your friendly neighborhood spinger mods for more info (or just post here).

Okay, here's a little bit of additional information.

The reason this has to be done is because the length of the springer threads is a really heavy load on the server. The software that the boards is on isn't built to handle threads which are that long. You may have noticed that the "view new posts" option has been a little slower. That's partially because of springer.

This is the most painless way to ease the load on the boards. Your original thread will still be available for you (or anyone else) to read- you just won't be able to post on it anymore. It will be in the subforum of the regular Springer board, which you can get to by either looking at the top of the board itself, at the bottom of the board description on the main page, or through this link. There's nothing there yet because we haven't moved anybody's threads yet.

While VE is right in that you can just pick up and continue your thread right where you left off, you might want to put a link to the original (large) thread in your first post, so that should anyone new stumble across your springer they can find the beginning. If you want that.

If you have special requests about the way people reply to your thread, you may also want to reiterate them at the beginning of your new thread. This is just the easiest way to make sure that people get that information, if they're new to your thread.

Basically, all we need you guys to do is to make a new Springer thread when your thread reaches a thousand (or as soon as possible or convenient if it already has) and to discontinue posting on your other thread. We'll be moving all threads that reach 1k to the subforum, which is read-only.

Thanks, guys. ;)

Thanks you guys, no problem. I was wondering why "view new" was so slow, and figured it was probably something on my end. Whew!

Please tell me how to make a link from one thread to a new one.

thanks!

lily

Okay, I went to bed early last night, so I didn't know this was happening. I will go back down to Springer and make a new thread, and you guys go ahead and move the old one.

I'm glad you're doing this!

olga

ok ... uh ... i won't make a stink, promise, i'll be thread compliant, but, but, but ... it makes me wicked twitchy knowing all my stuff isn't together in one place. just one of my little anal retentive obssessive compulsive control freak things.

<twitching my way back over to springer>

ETA: OK, I am all set. Move Me Baby!

Here's my beef. I need to be able to go in there and delete my old posts if I want to. I don't like have zero control over my own thread where I spilled my guts all over the place.

Could you make my archive thread regular instead of "read only?"

I can put a post at the end, saying "please don't respond here. Go to<link> and that should take care of it.

Pretty please? Don't make me freak me out with the "read only. " pleeeeeeeeeeeease.

Here's my beef. I need to be able to go in there and delete my old posts if I want to. I don't like have zero control over my own thread where I spilled my guts all over the place.

Could you make my archive thread regular instead of "read only?"

I can put a post at the end, saying "please don't respond here. Go to and that should take care of it.

Pretty please? Don't make me freak me out with the "read only. " pleeeeeeeeeeeease.

you'll be able to deleate posts, I'm pretty sure.

Easy link directions. Just do as I do!

[url=http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9139&st=900&]This is a link to Lily's old thread[/url].  For your own thread, just cut-and-paste the appropriate URL from the address bar to replace the URL for Lily's thread.

This is a link to Lily's old thread. For your own thread, just cut-and-paste the appropriate URL from the address bar to replace the URL for Lily's thread.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a bad terrible horrible idea until it became a good one. I'm glad it became a good one. Things seem to be moving much faster now.

Except when it says "transferring date from rcm.amazon.com, which seems to take forever. Is it me? Do I have something set wrong?

Archived