CrazyBoards.org

From Wellbutrin + Tegretol to Lamictal-Advice?

I finally told my doc I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.  I guess it's still possible the Tegretol may eventually work better than it has been, but really, I can't get work done, and I can't do much of anything else either.  Even with 450 mg Wellbutrin XL added in, I'm slightly to mildly depressed.  Yep, I'd complain about being hung with a new rope, too.  I'm not manic, sure, but while I was doing well on Depakote I got myself this fancy new job and I'm going to lose it if I don't get back to some level of funtioning within another month or two.  Or I'm going to be on extended leave and poor again.  My job is my life, sad as that may be.

So, to stop justifing myself and just ask my question, here's the change I expect my pdoc to start me on tomorrow.  I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions about making the switch, whether you've ever combined these meds with Lamictal, anything like that.

I'm on 800 mg carbamazepine (Tegretol), 200 am, 600 pm, plus 450 mg Wellbutrin XL am.  I know there are interactions between Tegretol and lamictal, and potentially Wellbutrin and lamictal.

I expect my doc to try to aim me towards either lamictal monotherapy, or lamictal plus wellbutrin.

I'm BPII, leaning strongly towards depression, and got bad dysphoric hypomanias on Wellbutrin alone.  Was stable but otherwise sickly for 5 years on Depakote plus wellbutrin so switched off of Dep.  Am depressed, fatigued and confused on Tegretol plus wellbutrin.  Lamictal sounds like a great med for my kind of BP once you get past the initial titration, so I'm hopeful and willing to undergo some wackiness for a month or two to get my life back.

Any suggestions will help, even those to shut up and listen to what the pdoc says.  I'm so insecure, snivel, snivel...

Wow, I'm on Wellbutrin and Tegretol.  Been on Wellbutrin, 300mg for a long time.  But I was on Lamictal 200mg with Wellbutrin 300mg for well over a year and was probably as near "normalcy" as I can ever expect to be.  Then all of a sudden the Lamictal pooped out on me.  Just stopped working.  The pdoc says that happens.  So We're trying Tegretol now.  Working up to 600 mg daily, 200 3 times a day.  So far I am disgustingly sick, lightheaded, and my feet "drag" when I walk.  Doesn't look good but I'm determined to give the Tegretol a fair shake.

I hope you are half as happy with the Lamictal/Wellbutrin as I was.  It felt like a wonder drug to me.  Just go up slowly because of the dreaded rash.  Good luck!

Dan~

I don't know if it helps, Dan, but the sicky feeling and lightheadedness went away for me within 3-4 days of increasing Tegretol dosage.  The draggy feeling can be transient, it just doesn't seem to be for me.  I've heard of people who've said it changed their lives & they loved it, used it very long term with no probs.  Here's hoping you're one of those.

Mine did.  I imagine that it helps that it's approved for BP. 

I started my 25 mg a night on Thursday, and since then my primary mode has been sooo sleeeeepy.  Although I did manage to balance my checkbook today--only 3 weeks late.  I'd say that shows some organization I've been lacking these past few weeks.

Now if I can only get my bathroom clean.  Where are those damned pixies when you need them?

Lamictal saved me, literally. It is the best med in the universe for me. I feel so normal and in control of myself, rather than my moods being in control of me!

Good luck with it. I feel great and I hope you do to. I got fired from my last job (help desk analyst) because of a mixed mood/depression mode, so I know how you feel about work and pressure to keep your job. It is tough for us! We can't really disclose our illness, especially in corporate fields, but when we get sick there is nothing to protect us. Best of wishes.

Just wanted to add another "thumbs up" to the lamictal. It is the first mood stabilizer (I've tried Seroquel and Depakote) to actually stabilize my moods. This is the most normal I've felt in my whole life.

I don't have a clue about Tegretol, however.

Archived