After realizing that we spent one hundred dollars in beer in one month, and my husband passing out drunk every night this week, we both realized that a change is in order. I will chart my progress here.

Day one: yesterday: Didn't drink, wanted to because of hangover but didn't. Didn't really want to by the end of the day.

Day two: Would really like a bottle of wine this afternoon, but we have no money and I don't want to fall off the wagon this soon.

I don't want to quit completely, but only drink in socially acceptable ways and not as often. Maybe have a beer or two once a week. That is my goal. That or less. I'll post my progress as time goes on.

I'm glad this board is here.

You don't say if you have a pdoc or are on meds so if you are and find you cannot meet this goal, you need to let him/her know. It would be a good idea to let him/her know anyway as some of these meds should not be mixed with alcohol. I am going through the same thing except mine said no alcohol.

But if I cannot stop on my own, he will get me help.

Good luck to you. Hang in there!

my pdoc isn't entirely against me drinking on the meds i'm on. he says it is the time in between drinks and the amount of alcohol, and how often i'm drinking. i can have a drink or two here and there and it isn't a problem, but i can't booze it up every day.

for years on my meds i used to really party hard just once a week. when i went out on my famous fridays it wasn't just my dancing that made it fun, it was my drinking. i'd have 5 or so drinks in 5 hours. that's enough to make me smashed, because my tolerance is pretty low (i'm 130lbs). i had to take a cab there and back because i knew i'd overdrink and i didn't want to drink and drive.

after starting topa i realized how much i had really been drinking and how bad it really was. topa reformed my drinking ways. on the 100mg of topa i couldn't drink at all without getting shite faced, and now at 50mg i can have a couple and be ok. but a couple is all i'll have in the evening. that seems to be my limit and pdoc approved. i'm also having more fun without being drunk. for one, i'm not tripping over my boots when i'm trying to dance! lol

have you considered taking topamax? it ended my partying ways pretty fast when i realized i couldn't drink moer than one without running to the restroom to throw my guts up. i couldn't have that one drink on my birthday because i got so sick off of alcohol! lol

loon

What classification of drug is Topomax?

Day three: Bored. Had a thought of wishing I could have a few beers this afternoon while surfing my favorite websites. but the desire has passed. I'm thinking more about food instead. What to make for dinner. Trying not to obsess about money problems. Thinking about taking a Klonopin if I start to get anxious. Thinking about taking a hydrocodone instead, but won't do it since I am not in any pain today.

Husband is having a harder time than I am. He was drinking enough to pass out every night last week. He said it will be hard not to have a drink all week. He has a major alcohol problem I think.

But here, I will concentrate on myself. He has his own path to walk.

I'm having a real tough time too (and I wonder why I can't kick depression...). The main one I worry about is the depakote, because it's already hard on my liver. I don't even know what's considered alot, that can vary from person to person I guess, but what I worry about the most is the wanting to constantly drink. I find it extremely difficult to not have some sort of drink every night. Somehow I am deluding myself into thinking that wine doesn't count, especially if it's drunk with a meal. But I have two glasses. I at least try not to wash my meds down with it.

I'm 'fessing up to the pdoc tomorrow. He's not going to be happy about it. I'll probably get a lecture about the depression.

Waterfall,

Topamax is an anticonvulsant. it is used as a mood stabilizer and for migraines (along with being an anticonvulsant of course). it is great to help with the drinking issues. now i can have a couple, only a couple, but while i was up at a higher dose i couldn't have one wtihout feeling like death, as i said. it was really scary.

i'm not an alcoholic but i had "problems" on friday night. topa has cured my friday night adventures.

Topamax is known to help with weight loss and works fine with Lamictal. I take both. You just have to be careful with it because it can interfere with hormonal contraception. I found this out and have to use back-up protection.

Waterfall....

First off, here is a thread on topamax from the anti-convulsants board. It seems to have a lot of information on it.

Secondly- good luck with the alcohol and the money and the worry and everything. I know what it's like to be involved with someone who has a major alcohol problem. I also know what it's like to enable this problem. I've never had much of a problem myself with alcohol, but there have definitely been periods where I have been drinking much more than I should. Sometimes it would sneak up on me and I'd realize that I'd been falling-down drunk every night for the past month or something and that I had no money for breakfast. And then it's time for a reality check and some nights in.

And good for 'fessing up, Rabbit. That's a hard thing to do. I never did come completely clean with my last pdoc about drug use. I felt we had kind of come to an impasse and I didn't really know what use there was in talking about it after a certain point. But that's really basically self-destructive. You can't get the best help unless you're getting honest help.

Keep on keepin' on, guys. It's a tough road. But it's possible.

A note on topamax,(and yes, there are MANY threads dealing with topa, in regards to weight loss, drinking, other side effects blahblah down in the AC board)which I recently restarted, partly due to drinking issues: I realized, between myself and my fiancee, i was spending say in the neighboerhood of $150 a month. On our tight budget, this was really NOT an allowable expense. Now, i went off topa last year because of the expense; with no job, the $60 copay was not doable, $10 for lithium was. Now $55 for topa (and that will go down as the dosage changes) to replace the beer expense--well yeah, I took that into consideration.

So basically if you have decent insurance, it may be an option you want to look into for this purpose just from a cost-benefit standpoint, if willpower alone begins to fail you. It can be a fantastic tool to stand between you and the desire to drink; it may or may not work, but truly for me, it's all that HAS worked. Not to mention, yeah, it's getting erid of my beer gut. Not having a six pack or so a night can do wonders for your figure! (And well I'm not eating a whole hell of a lot either but I better change that or move to Ethiopia or something...)

But yeah it's an option, just make sure to read some topa threads so your eyes are wide open if you really want to consider that route.

I don't want to quit completely, but only drink in socially acceptable ways and not as often. Maybe have a beer or two once a week. That is my goal. That or less. I'll post my progress as time goes on.

I'm glad this board is here.

Waterfall, I urge you to check out www.moderation.org, which is a program that helps people cut back on their drinking----or stop altogether if that's what's best. There is an online support group as well. I've been a member for a little over 4 years and it's helped tremendously. I used to drink 25+ glasses of wine a week and now, since the beginning of August, I've had 10 total.

Feel free to contact privately if you'd like more info.

dianebea

Waterfall, I think that's great that he realizes it. But, he needs a LOT of support, not just you. You might offer to go to an AA meeting with him. I'm sure it will be scary as hell to walk in that door, but it's necessary, really. Otherwise, failure is pretty much 100% likely. Addiction is a hell of a thing to beat, but it can be done. With a lot of support.

• 2 weeks later...

Day something or other, can't keep track. Went a week without drinking. Husband is at work (can't bring alcohol into the house when he is home since he thinks he is an alcoholic). I am having one 24 ounce of Molson Ice. It feels nice but no big deal. To tell you the truth, I am partially using it as a laxative. Beer always takes care of that for me. I won't even speak of the terrible constipation I've had since I quit drinking, LOL! Not really feeling any effect from the beer, don't really want to except a mild buzz. I had a really bad day. I started a part time job at Target last week, and it is really hard on me. I have to work till 11pm, then get up at 7 to get my son off to school. I am wiped out. Plus I am STILL recovering from a broken leg and by the end of the night I am limping. I think I need to refill my prescription for Vicodin, the pain is that bad.

Anyway, that's what's going on as of now.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, have you checked with the AA people to find out if they've got childcare connections?

i'm worried, since we haven't heard from you, that you may have fallen off the wagon. we all have to start again sometimes in case you have fallen off the wagon, you can start fresh at any time. i think it is like smoking. you might have to practice quitting and one day you'll quit for good.

fessing up to the problem is the first step towards recovery. between the day before and yesterday, i drank almost a whole bottle of rum, along with some wine and more rum. i was too plastered already by the time it came for me to go out last night that i had to call a cab- to take me down the street- to go out and party. i was already drunk at the club.

that's not good! i'm not an alcoholic, but i've gotten myself into bad situations before.

it is better to make every attempt to quit now, and as cns said save that money, than it is to wait until it could be worse. we know that our meds interact with alcohol too. i'm not the perfect princess, but i know we all need to watch it.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, have you checked with the AA people to find out if they've got childcare connections?

i'm worried, since we haven't heard from you, that you may have fallen off the wagon. we all have to start again sometimes in case you have fallen off the wagon, you can start fresh at any time. i think it is like smoking. you might have to practice quitting and one day you'll quit for good.

fessing up to the problem is the first step towards recovery. between the day before and yesterday, i drank almost a whole bottle of rum, along with some wine and more rum. i was too plastered already by the time it came for me to go out last night that i had to call a cab- to take me down the street- to go out and party. i was already drunk at the club.

that's not good! i'm not an alcoholic, but i've gotten myself into bad situations before.

it is better to make every attempt to quit now, and as cns said save that money, than it is to wait until it could be worse. we know that our meds interact with alcohol too. i'm not the perfect princess, but i know we all need to watch it.

I've been doing very well. Moderating my intake to a sane level. Until my mother's visit. I miss her so much because she llives so far away and I see her maybe once a year. So I ended up tanked. I don't remember parts of things. Everyone was mad at me for the way I was acting.

I'm back on the moderate wagon and feel embarassed for my behavior. Stress reallly seems to bring out the devil in me, or leads me to the devil of overdrinking. I am ashamed. It was fun at the time, at least at first. WE all had fun the first night, but then I did the hair of the dog thing the next morning, which led to drinking all day, which led to me crying at work and being sent home (no one knew I'd been drinking), and it just all basically sucked.

I miss my mother. I know she will never move back up here. I will hardly ever see her for the rest of her life. And she is young, not quite 59.

It's not an excuse for excessive drinking, I know. But I have noticed a pattern of when I get really upset I end up drinking too much. I want to break that pattern.

Archived