GAD, BPD AND DBT

Guest BOYD

VERY INTERESTING...

Dialectical Behaviour Therapy is based on a bio-social theory of borderline personality disorder. Linehan hypothesises that the disorder is a consequence of an emotionally vulnerable individual growing up within a particular set of environmental circumstances which she refers to as the 'Invalidating Environment'.

An 'emotionally vulnerable' person in this sense is someone whose autonomic nervous system reacts excessively to relatively low levels of stress and takes longer than normal to return to baseline once the stress is removed. It is proposed that this is the consequence of a biological diathesis.

The term 'Invalidating Environment' refers essentially to a situation in which the personal experiences and responses of the growing child are disqualified or "invalidated" by the significant others in her life. The child's personal communications are not accepted as an accurate indication of her true feelings and it is implied that, if they were accurate, then such feelings would not be a valid response to circumstances. Furthermore, an Invalidating Environment is characterised by a tendency to place a high value on self-control and self-reliance.

OK,VE, no I am not in any DBT. Gosh I am only on Tdoc session#2.

But she told me NOT TO SELF DX. Seems familiar?

But after reading this stuff makes me wonder. I do go OFF(react) very very easily at the slightest provocation.

That whole invalidation thing was a very BIG part of my childhood. Oh do I ever get sooo pissed off. LOL.

The one aspect that doesn't fit is that I always had to row my own boat and solve my own problems, always.

No one cared that much, so I had to cope or dig into a defensive position, be my own little man and fight for what I wanted to do without a second opinion. But I am and was very self reliant and want to control EVERYTHING around me.

also..

"The child's personal communications are not accepted as an accurate indication of her true feelings and it is implied that, if they were accurate, then such feelings would not be a valid response to circumstances."

I always felt as if no body listened to me. Everything was, oh you can't do this or that because of your bad knees...etc..anything I said was wrong anything I did was wrong anything I wanted to do was bad.

Is that what this invalidating environment is?

Boyd

;):)

Boyd-

It's good that you're in therapy. It is important not to self-diagnose. A lot of the BPD stuff can sound familiar to a lot of people, even people who would not fit a borderline diagnosis.

It does sound like your childhood was emotionally invalidating. Even though it was rarely said outright, the strongest feeling I got from my parents about my emotional or physical problems was that I was making it up. I waited overnight to go to the doctor with a broken arm, once, because of my dad's absolute certainty that I was being melodramatic about the injury.

I think a lot of childhood is invalidating in general. I was aware of this as a child and I notice in it the way people treat children today- like morons. A lot of people assume that they know best and force their children (as parents, teachers, librarians, etc) to act in kind.

This is all good stuff to bring up in therapy. Again, I'm glad you have a tdoc, and don't worry that you haven't gotten into the real thick stuff after only two sessions. It'll come.

Archived