Hiya-

From what I've read and in my pdoc's opinion, both Paxil (yes, an SSRI) and WB are "safer" for BP1 people to take than other ADs. I need an AD just like I need an antimanic substance, as both mania and depression crop up.

I like Paxil because of the anxi-anxiety effects. I'm under a lot of pressure at work and raising my Klonopin will make me tired. I don't want to sit there at work and yawn. Also, I have ADD and making me more tired tends to make my attention go a bit south and that's not really a good thing.

Paxil works well on the anxiety, and WB is neutral in that department. I left Paxil in the first place because I felt a physical "addiction" to it that proved to be true- the discontinuation was very, very bad. But I'm willing to go there again (it has worked before after discontinuations and restarts) because I really like how it works.

I just don't want to end up as a manic loon. Any stories? How safe do you think Paxil really is for BP1 patients? Just because I've been safe in the past doesn't mean I wasn't playing with fire.

loon

Hiya-

From what I've read and in my pdoc's opinion, both Paxil (yes, an SSRI) and WB are "safer" for BP1 people to take than other ADs. I need an AD just like I need an antimanic substance, as both mania and depression crop up.

I like Paxil because of the anxi-anxiety effects. I'm under a lot of pressure at work and raising my Klonopin will make me tired. I don't want to sit there at work and yawn. Also, I have ADD and making me more tired tends to make my attention go a bit south and that's not really a good thing.

Paxil works well on the anxiety, and WB is neutral in that department. I left Paxil in the first place because I felt a physical "addiction" to it that proved to be true- the discontinuation was very, very bad. But I'm willing to go there again (it has worked before after discontinuations and restarts) because I really like how it works.

I just don't want to end up as a manic loon. Any stories? How safe do you think Paxil really is for BP1 patients? Just because I've been safe in the past doesn't mean I wasn't playing with fire.

loon

I dunno about BP, but I think Welbutrin helps with energy and motivation. OTOH, when my dose is going up, I get cranky. But your signature says you're already taking it?

Hey Loon,

Didn't your pdoc already ok the Paxil? I thought you said he did but you were just waiting because you didn't want more than one med change at a time.

Are you second guessing the Paxil now? I wonder why it wouldn't work as well the second time. That's odd.

hi all!

i've taken topa and it gives me anxiety issues and insomnia, not the other way around. i do take WB right now and am thinking of trading it in for Paxil because of Paxil's anti-anxiety qualities.

oddly enough, i've stopped and started paxil a number of times and it works every time. if it didn't work this time i'd go back to lex or try a different SSRI. i'm going for the anti-anxiety properties. WB is nice for the AD effects but that's it.

it is creepy like dee said to think that SSRIs cause changes in your brain! hopefully those changes are good! maybe i'll keep the WB. the sexual side effects from paxil were enough to cause anxiety in and of themselves ;)

Archived