Wish I was like you all

You folks are great. Seriously.....really, really great. I've been lurking here for (it seems forever) a long time, and have learned sooo much from so many of you. I read the boards just about daily and follow along your good times and bad. I wish I was better able to reach out. I suck that way. Never been my strong point. Can't believe I'm even writing this. Maybe there's hope for me yet! ;)

even in "just lurking" you're learning what we've been through and how we've dealt with things. we try to open up to each other and we know that there are other people who aren't posting who read our stuff too.

Please, keep posting. we want to see our boards full of different experiences!

looon

Well, you made contact - big step! So welcome wizdum. Lurk about as much as you need to. Some of us are more talkative, others hang around on the side before they crack and have to get it all out NOW! Don't think that we know more than you. We all have something to contribute, and something we do today that might help you might turn into something you do tomorrow that helps us.

We're quite harmless really. And definitely interesting. What could be more interesting than bulk-buying Dr Seuss books and stockpiling them for future generations? (haven't done that yet, but it's now on my "what to do when manic" list) You'll also have seen that the really great thing about this place is that no-one tiptoes around the "awkward" issues. No walking on eggshells... if you're angry and you need to say something NOW before you explode, then just go ahead and say it. Also, the insurance on your computer might not cover bits of splattered brain if you do explode.

But now I'm talking crap again. Seriously, just jump in wherever and whenever. There's no need to introduce yourself before answering someone's post and there's definitely no need to try to justify yourself before starting a thread of your own. Our fearless moderators are there for any private or public questions. And so is everyone else, really. Just, being a moody and somewhat unstable group, you might accidently bump into someone on one of their bad days (or one of yours). But we're learning about BP by shoving aside all the platitudes and talking about gritty and real life.

No, I'm not in advertising, I'm just feeling wordy tonight.

Welcome once again,

Skittle

skittle puts it well! we're not the end-all and be-all experts on anything, but we can tell you where we've been and what we're doing. we have a lot of info to share between us and we try to get it out.

don't be shy. none of us are shy. we jump right in. if someone is having a bad day, all is forgiven. we all have bad days and get on each other's nerves i'm sure from time to time.

put up your feet and stay awhile. you're among friends.

loon

Hey,

I was on here for about a year before I actually said something I was seriously afraid to say. People here are almost ridiculously supportive, and when they piss you off, you know they are looking out for your best interests. It's where I go when things are really horrible and your irl people will never understand.

Hey, Wizdum--I am the "Chatty Cathy" of the class, and I can tell you that these folks are a remarkable bunch. I could say that their support has saved my life--trite but true. But most importantly, I have found that when I am writing about all my stupid shit, it sort of makes me think a bit straighter, and clarify what I really feel.

I think that is the most important blessing from being here. When you write it down, you acknowledge it, you take away its power because you have made it real, and you begin to see patterns emerge--and then you begin to learn, in baby steps, whats going on in your mentally interesting head.

And you read the efforts of others as they try to sort out their screwy brains, and you aren't so alone--and sometimes, the fear begins to slink away.

And ==hey--there is always someone here who is crazier than me, and I can use that little ego boost, especially on those really really BAAAAAD days.

We are the least judgemental, most completely, disgustingly honest,most wide-open, most diverse group you will EVER meet--and that in itself is a true blessing.

working on being china again--

Hi Wizdum,

Welcome, and lurk all ya want. Sometimes I write some whacked post in my thread, and maybe don't hear too much from folks, but I can see people are stopping by, anyway.

When I first started to post, I would get nervous, certain I'd be ignored or derided. When neither happened, it got easier.

And best news of all: if you're hanging out here, you're probably barking mad like us--so you are already like us. Welcome to the nuthouse!

lily

Hi Wizdum!

I don't post here much, but when I do, everyone's been extremely helpful. I've learned a lot just by lurking. Sometimes I write my post and then decide not to post it because I'm afraid of seeming too needy, but then, that's what we're here for. ;)

Hi Wizdum,

Welcome to the asylum. Some of us bite, but we've all had our shots.

A few things about posting on the Internet...

-get yourself a throwaway email address from someplace like yahoo, google, hotmail, etc. That way you don't have to put any personal information in the registration boxes. Doing that gave me a better sense of anonymity when I was new to posting, new to mental illness and scared of the whole thing.

-remember that you can edit your posts here. The Powers frown on doing so in a way that distorts the continuity of a thread. But they are your posts are you are allowed to edit them if you feel you've said too much.

-after posting here for awhile, I became more able to talk to people in my real life about depression, mental illness, medication, etc. I am happy to say that I have discovered that I have some real true friends that did not run screaming from the room when I outed my crazy self.

-I learned a lot about all aspects of this thing we share. Knowledge about the condition itself, the medications, how to talk to doctors, how and why to find a good therapist, how to accept myself and keep living anyway.

There really are many good people here. I hope you stick around.

Greeny

Archived