design your own support group

Inspired by this thread on the dearth of support resources for "high functioning" MIers. I'm curious about a related question. Because there are no bipolar support groups operating in my area, a friend of mine and I have been discussing the possibility of starting our own bipolar support group on campus. Assuming we did this, how would you like to see a group run? Beyond checking in on everyone and discussing whatever comes up, what sorts of questions or topics would you want brought up? How do you think different aspects of this sort of group situation should be handled? If you're one of the fortunate ones who has been part of a solid group, what can you tell us about your experiences? How would things work in a dream world? What can be made to work in the real world? What should we know? The screen is your canvas and I am extremely curious.

If you start a group like this and are identifiable as the leader, be prepared for 2AM crisis calls.

I don't know if NAMI exists up there or not. I guess not. If it did, they would have to call it IAMI and that reminds me of Moon Over My Hammy. There should be some kind of national group offering training for people wanting to be facilitators of groups like that. I did a bit of somthing like that through ADDA a long time ago. I strongly recomend you do somthing along those lines so you don't find yourself in a room with ten crazy people, a situation that's turning sour, and no idea of what to do.

(edited becuse I used the phrase "like that" too many times)

If your school has a counseling/psychological services, they may be willing to sponsor or partially host the group.

We had a group here which was really an undergraduate group, which was probably good for most of the people there but didn't really cover much that was relevant to me. The information was also extremely basic, given what I already know.

I think groups are good things, but they are not very useful for me, so I can't be a lot of help.

I think noemie has good advice to get the psych dept. involved. Personnally, I've not had much help from more informal group sessions. However, Groups while I was in Partial Hosptilization run by pro's were life savers from me. They helped elicit and pull out the issues.

Good luck

Archived