Hiya-

I take anticonvulsant drugs and am on the Pill, and I know this increases my chances of unexpected pregnancy. If I do get pregnant, I plan on having the baby, unless there are birth defects or risks to my health.

I've wondered that if I were pregnant, what drugs would I want to keep and what ones would I get rid of? My pnurse said before he'd put me on HALDOL and ZOLOFT, which China (obgyn nurse) has correctly said would be BAD.

I've researched the situation and come up with Lamictal and Klonopin as being the ones I'd keep. Lamictal seems to be safe according to GSK's registry and I need to keep a mood stabilizer, and Klonopin seems to be neutral and I get such bad anxiety when I'm pregnant, going without a benzo is out of the question entirely.

What meds have you kept? What ones would you keep or avoid in that situation?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, every situation is so individual what works for one won't possibly work for all. But I kept Lamictal and all is well with the wee one. I also took Seroquel for part of the pregnancy. I wasn't as stable as I've ever been, or would have liked to be, but I was doing OK.

So, I guess it depends on you. But also keep in mind that having major anxiety in a couple of pregnancies doesn't mean you will have it with EVERY pregnancy. All 3 of mine have been different in their own right, though I seem most prone to depression while preggers. So you may not even have to worry about benzos, though it's good to do some research and have some idea of what you'd be willing to try if it ever came up.

• 5 months later...

I took 100 mg of Zoloft while pregnant with my son. I was taking 800 mg Seroquel and 75 mg of Elavil. My OB wouldn't let me take anything besides the Zoloft. I did pretty well on just that until the end of my pregnancy when I was having lots of pain and pre-term labor.

My son is perfectly healthy.

• 5 months later...
Guest Guest_Tammy55_*

Have a 4 month old daughter and was on Paxil at the start of pregnancy then it came out with BlackBox warning against using while pregnant so I tried Lexapro at 10 mg. Worked great.

Drs and I had several due to being 40 and pregnant, all told me that lexapro is the safest and clonapine could be my PRN. I did not have to use any clonapine and had no problems with birth defects but some doctors like no meds at all durring pregnancy. Also said valum is ok to use sometimes. Have a close friend who is way bi polar and had no meds durring her prenancy but had to move back with her mom so she could watch her through it all. She was a mess but had mom there to keep her safe.

Think it depends on the dr and how severe the MI is as if your not "OK" then the baby is at risk for many things like stress, bad eating habits, lack of prenatal care etc...

All meds have a level of risk durring pregnancy including pre natal vitamins so just talk with several docs and exspecially your psych doc and you have to weigh the risks of the med with the risk of you not being OK durring the pregnancy.

I tried no meds for a couple weeks - and it was horrible so if you need them take as little as you can get by with to minimize any risk but you may just need them. SOme meds are worse than others for fetus.

Good luck

Tam

Archived