My son is getting worse

I can't handle my son AT ALL! With my issues unresolved it just makes it worse. BUT I went to Children's in Phoenix, their ER and told them something was mentally wrong with him. So after 3 hours of talking with a social worker and explaining that the only doctor TRICARE will take doesn't have opennings till the end of October. So they got him in for Wed. at the hospital. I am so greatful but the fighting, regressing in being potty trained, hitting, destruction, ect... is soo out of control. Hopefully they check him top to bottom and give us some solid answers so my son can be himself and not this child that I can't be around.

How old is your child? Big changes can make a child regress and act out. It's important to remind him that he's safe, dad will be there soon, and life will get back to normal. I hope they do a thorough analysis too. Is he old enough for preschool? (not that you'd want that now just asking)

lilie

hiya-

i got handed the responsibility of guardianship of my 3 younger sibs when i was 24 and my dad killed himself. their mother (they're my 1/2 sibs) was a drug whore and too messed up to take care of them, so i got that honor, and it was an honor.

they acted out. they regressed, all of them, even the mature 17-yr-old. there was just too much going on in their lives at that time.

i've read your post about you being on the edge due to a lot of factors, and it makes sense to me that your family would also be suffering the effects that you are. it is possible that he either is suffering from changes, or possibly the same kind of disorder that you have, even at his young age. i was 7 when i was DXed with BP. not to be alarmist, but anything is possible. kids are unique!

my little brother suffered developmental delays and was discovered to have ADHD in the time after dad's death. i don't know if they were related or not. he went through a close death in the family, a change of schools, a change of homes, and a guardianship change. All at once. That poor kid went through so much. I could hardly blame him for the hell he gave me.

stress can be a huge factor for a child. he doesn't know what's going on and he's going to show you how he feels, whether he realizes his feelings or not. a good child counselor will be able to help you both. especially potty training. that is something kids won't do for some reason unless they're confident and comfortable. don't ask me why. nick (my brother) started having accidents when all this happened. as i said, everyone regressed. my sister went to the mental hospital (i did too), and my other brother just played video games and ignored the whole thing. we all coped somehow.

do your best. my first thought is to get him in to see someone somehow, and especially to see a child counselor, someone who specializes in child psychology. he or she will know what is going on. you don't mention how old he is. maybe this is normal and just a little delay for his age. maybe it is a larger delay but understandable due to stress. stress is huge! it turns us all into babies, no matter what our age.

loon

He was diagnosed in DC with ADD and ODD. The meds he had ran out and he is just as bad now as he was when we lived in DC. I know that some has to do with the move but he is almost 4 and my daughter is 2 and she has adjusted fine. We go to a doctor tomorrow and I will not leave till I know something. I can't do this to him or myself anymore.

Archived