Time for new pdoc

I've been seeing the same pdoc for a few years now. I'm bipolar, so we've ruled out SSRI's. Wellbutrin gave me a seizure, and now I'm on remeron (and zyprexa & klonopin). Well the remeron just isn't cutting it, and he wants me to try Parnil or something like that, an MAOI or whatever, you guys know what I'm talking about. I have 2 problems with this:

1. It would be to easy to kill myself with a drug interaction

2. Aren't there other things to try, like strattera or something?

I just feel like this dr. threw up his hands in the air with me and is just picking things at random and putting them in me now. Should I seek a second opinion?

Parnate or Nardil.

Do you want to kill yourself? You're right. It would be easy. You could theoreticly kill yourself with wheel of brie. If that's a concern, you should definately tell him ahead of time.

Otherwise, they really are good drugs. You just have to watch what you eat.

Have you tried lamictal? It can have a decent AD effect. So can some of the other ACs.

Some bp folks do OK on effexor plus a mood stabilizer such as lithium.

There's also ECT.

you say that because you're bipolar, you've ruled out SSRI meds. why disqualify a whole class of meds just because you're bipolar?

yes, different pdocs will argue their points very strongly, based on different studies and their own clinical experiences, whether or not it is safe to give bipolar patients SSRI medications. that is true.

however, it has been my own personal experience, and only my own personal experience (i'm BP1) that i can take SSRI drugs safely when i'm taking a mood stabilizer. actually, the SSRI class really helps me a lot. the only issue i have with the whole class is the sexual side effects, which i avoid with WB, which you can't take.

i'd say look into the mood stabilizers that VE has suggested, because they're just great for whatever problems you're having. I love lamictal and i like lithium too. i used to take them both together, with paxil!

if your pdoc is willing to consider MAOIs, then he or she should be willing to discuss SSRI drugs. maybe he or she has strong opinions against them, or maybe is willing to try it out. paxil in particular has a reputation for being "safer" in bipolar patients than other SSRIs. give me my paxil (but not the sexual side effects please lol).

loon

Can't you just tell your doc that you're not comfortable with that then?

Search and read some of Fiona's old posts about her experiences with parnate. It's really not that big a problem.

Loon: According to many, BP folks shouldn't take SSRIs. In particular a person who has gone manic on one is probobly best avoiding the whole class in the future.

I will tell my current pdoc that I'm not comfortable with the MAOI's. I got one more appt. with him then I see a new doc in September. Me and suicidal tendencies go hand in hand, and he knows that, so I just think they're a bad idea. We tried lamictal before but it made it so I couldn't pee. Sounds strange I know, but as soon as I got it out of my system my plumbing was fine. I've tried a variety of SSRI's with mixed results, usually resulting in mania. I don't know, I guess I'll just get my second opinion and keep looking for options. Thanks for your input guys.

Archived