Hiya-

I've taken pretty much every mood stabilizer under the sun, as you can read in my signature. My pnurse wants me on 2 mood stabilizers, and so is in love with having me on Topa along wtih Lamictal. Personally, I hate Topa and want it out of the picture.

I want to have another idea to bring up to him so I can hopefully get him to switch me, or at least try something new.

What about gaba? Any luck with it as a mood stabilizer? i figure if we're going near topa we'd might as well play the whole field.

maybe i can get him to go ahead and agree to blood tests and bring back lithium (he's just against the blood work so doesn't want to do LI again).

loon

I'm on lamictal and lithium and the combo is working well for me. I see that you've tried lithium before and remember reading that you had some unpleasant experiences with it. I think it would be worth it to give it another try, though, if you can get your pnurse to work with you.

Good luck!

OK Loon I'm a bit confused--didn't you just start the topa a little while ago? I mean, these things take time to suss out whether they'll work or not, especially with topa. Shit, yeah, a lot of us hate a lot of what we're on but stick with it--if you've been on so much but none has worked, I wouldn't give up so soon!

Bringing me to--if you want to give up topa to go back on lith, that's cool, and a decent action plan. I think your pnurse is a dip for not wanting to deal with the blood work or whatever his problem with that is. But absolutely, if that's the only reason you're not on lith, fight for it.

Personal, non-medical-professional opinion: skip the gaba and go for the lith, if you know how you do on it and are comfortable with it. Tried-and-true is better than jumping into the great unknown. In this case, hella cheaper too.

Personal side note: On Lamictal. Also currently on lith and topa, and been on lamictal while on topa and lith separately. Preferred lamictal and topa combo but hey, what's a guy gonna do?

What are your main problems right now? Mania? Depression? Mixed states? Anxiety?

If you're stable I wouldn't mess with the cocktail.

Also, side effects of Topamax may disappear with time, although I have no personal experience with this drug.

I know how much you hate waiting, as do I, us being ADD/ADHD kids and all. ;) But sometimes you gotta stick with something for a while to see if it works.

Mechante- in the past when i took LI i had issues with my hair falling out (it does on topa now so what's the difference?), and i was stupid (i'm stupid on topa now, so what's the difference?).

CNS- i've taken topa for i'm guessing about 4 months now, but for a long while i was on a lower dose. i took the dose down again because i couldn't stand the agitation and insomnia. the side effects are just too much for me to deal with. at the 50 i do feel it in my system and it isn't making me as agitated or sleepless, but i still can't stand it. i'm just taking it because i've had this long break between pnurse visits and i haven't had the chance to see him to get him to change it. this is priority #1 when i do see him.

yeah, it is stupid that he is too lazy to do blood work. hey, i'm the one they're taking blood from!

i've taken lamictal and lith together alone before and now this lamictal and topa together, and i liked lithium better because at least it only makes my hair fall out and makes me stupid, it doesn't turn me into a restless insomniac. ;)

Helena- i've been on it for about 4 months, so i'm pretty sure that the side effects aren't going anywhere. i was always on too low of a dose for them to show up, and as soon as we raised the dose i couldn't sleep or sit still.

he has me on so many mood stabilizing meds because i have a history of break-through episodes while only on one mood stabilizer. i tend to break-through and then end up in the hospital or gulping down my AAPs to avoid the hospital. he's just making really, really sure that my moods are locked down and i'm not going anywhere.

there's a whole lot of trying over here! i don't have an appointment scheduled until the 26th, however i'm really trying to change that. i just can't go so long (over 2 months) without a visit, especially since he had me do a med adjustment at my last visit and i want to change meds now.

please keep giving me some feedback!

loon

i saw my tdoc yesterday, and since she's on the treatment team with my pdoc+pnurse she's aware of my meds and what's going on. we discussed the topamax and i think she's talked me into keeping it, for the reason that at 50mg it doesn't seem to be hurting, is potentially helping iwth the upswings, and does help with ptsd (it is actually going through studies to become approved as a treatment for that now. it does work!).

if for nothing else, it will stay for those reasons i think. and as helena has said, those of us with bp/add can't exactly rock the boat, we need to stick wtih the cocktail that works and that is that. how true. so, it looks like some continued topa for me. i see the pnurse on the 12th and i think we'll agree to that.

actually, because i got my SSDI approval letter yesterday, i'm going into the SSA office today to make sure it is real (it is just too much for me to handle, i can't believe it without some SSA person telling me it is true), and then into walk-in hours at my pdoc to tell them i've been approved and see what i need to do now, so i may be discussing my meds with him even today. i don't know how the day will go.

my fingers are crossed,

Archived