I've been tested for my blood sugar a few times and the results have always been high but not high enough to be considered in diabetic territory and I've had alot of the symptoms of high blood sugar. Lately I've been getting cramps everywhere, especially in my hands and feet, and sharp pains in my stomach after eating something with sugar in it. A few days ago after taking an antihistamine I ate a handful of chips and started feeling bloated right after and went through immense stomach pain for the next few hours until I proceeded to vomit my lungs out and felt a little better. The pains in my stomach after eating sugary foods is nothing new, but the other night was the worse that it's ever been. So until I do get to see a doctor again, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a safe and natural way to lower my blood sugar if something like that should ever occur again. Thanks for reading this.

I don't really know about high blood sugar, as I have a history of hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. The remedy for that is to eat protein every four hours to regulate the blood sugar. Not sure if it applies to your situation or not.

You might want to take a look at the Glycemic Index.

I've been tested for my blood sugar a few times and the results have always been high but not high enough to be considered in diabetic territory and I've had alot of the symptoms of high blood sugar. Lately I've been getting cramps everywhere, especially in my hands and feet, and sharp pains in my stomach after eating something with sugar in it. A few days ago after taking an antihistamine I ate a handful of chips and started feeling bloated right after and went through immense stomach pain for the next few hours until I proceeded to vomit my lungs out and felt a little better. The pains in my stomach after eating sugary foods is nothing new, but the other night was the worse that it's ever been. So until I do get to see a doctor again, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a safe and natural way to lower my blood sugar if something like that should ever occur again. Thanks for reading this.

I have heard that both bilberry and cinnamon help regulate blood sugar. I tried cinnamon, but the amount I had to take to affect my blood sugar was enough to make me sick from all the cinnamon in my stomach ;) but I have heard people who've had success. Perhaps it is because I have low blood sugar.

I have heard that regular excercise and a diet rich in protein and whole grains, while low in sodium and sugars (especially refined sugars) is extremely helpful in any glucose issues - high or low. I have had great success in keeping mine regular by walking regularly, going to the gym at least twice a week, and keeping a healthy diet :)

Good luck!!

Abifae

ve heard that regular excercise and a diet rich in protein and whole grains, while low in sodium and sugars (especially refined sugars) is extremely helpful in any glucose issues - high or low. I have had great success in keeping mine regular by walking regularly, going to the gym at least twice a week, and keeping a healthy diet
Abifae, how do you define "healthy diet?" It's something I'm working on.

The cinnamon really does work. Lookie here....

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4413

http://www.diabetes-diabetic-diet.com/cinnamon_diabetes.htm

I took a similar dosage to Abi, but it did not upset my stomach.....we had both tried the pills (Walmart...nice and cheap). Since it is so beneficial and inexpensive, it is really worth the try. My dad started using it after he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was able (with his doctor's blessing) go off the glucophage.

When I forget to take it, I can feel it...my hands puff up, I get headaches, I generally feel like crap....I crave all kinds of bad foods. So yeah. Cinnamon gets my vote.

for me, a healthy diet means foods that make me actually feel better physically and keep my weight and blood sugar even. that means it will be different for different people. i do best - for my blood sugar - with things high protein, high fat (olives, whole milk - not greasy fat), whole grains, and i stay away from salt! and i avoid, as much as i can (it is very very expensive), refined wheat and sugar.

Number one: the fresher the better :cussing: i go to the store a few times a week for fresh veggies and fruit, although my boyfriend's teeth are so bad, we do a lot of frozen - they end up softer. just nothing canned. but if a recipe calls for bell peppers, i buy them the day i cook. i don't like food going bad in my fridge. that scares me, actually ;)

Two: whole grains! that means whole grain bread, instead of white, legumes in soups, as many grains as i can fit in. i work for a bakery, so i get free bread - and it is no preservatives and lots of grains (unless i'm on a sourdough kick :) ). but there are lots of ways to add more grains. oatmeal for breakfast, lentils in your stews and soups, brown and long grained rices instead of white...

Three: when i get a craving for sugar, i try fruit juice first, or fresh fruit. if i still crave sugar, i go for something made from honey, or is organic, so i'm not getting refined sugar. i love Juicy Juice. lucky me, my blood sugar can stay stable with natural sugars. i know a lot of diabetics who can't even do that!

Four: i actually balance my week's food (daily drives me nuts - i can't fit in the right things in so few meals, packed together) to be sure my magnesium and potassium and salts balance out, that i got enough dark greens, that i get enough of whatever i need... it's like a puzzle, so it's fun. and if i'm short on something, i just try to fix foods that balance it out more for the next week. my body goes off kilter very easily, so i actually have to keep track if i don't want to end up sick. maybe everyone does that and they just are never balanced enough to notice the difference?

Five: the easiest way is to prepare the food! i like to make snacky items on my days off work and have them through out the week. i plan my menu for the entire month at the beginning of the month, and try a new recipe every week that has lots of healthy stuff in it. one week i made a mushroom caserole that used four or five different whole grains. another week i made a squash soup... i just have fun with it! it helps that i love to cook. i don't know how anyone does it when they don't cook.

and most important, if i crave something that is pure crap, i eat it. lol. i give in quickly, eat a small amount (or try to) and then return to my healthy diet. i made gheridelli brownies yesterday because i had to have chocolate and it's the closest to high quality - no crappy sugars i could get my grubby little paws on! mmm! i was good. i had one slice only. and immediately had a high protein supper afterwards! YUM!

i know this is totally long winded, but i actually spent five or six years learning how to eat well. when i quit being anorexic, i studied healthy diets. i did a total elimination diet to be sure i wasn't allergic to anything. i tried being vegetarian for three years. i read everything i could on nutrition. so i figure i have a pretty good idea of what my body needs and what i can buy at the grocery store versus what should be organic... but it took a lot of work. i didn't even know my stomach growled when hungry until i was 26.

abifae

I'm comparing myself here, for my own benefit. ;)

for me, a healthy diet means foods that make me actually feel better physically and keep my weight and blood sugar even. that means it will be different for different people. i do best - for my blood sugar - with things high protein, high fat (olives, whole milk - not greasy fat), whole grains, and i stay away from salt! and i avoid, as much as i can (it is very very expensive), refined wheat and sugar.

Number one: the fresher the better :wtf: i go to the store a few times a week for fresh veggies and fruit, although my boyfriend's teeth are so bad, we do a lot of frozen - they end up softer. just nothing canned. but if a recipe calls for bell peppers, i buy them the day i cook. i don't like food going bad in my fridge. that scares me, actually :)

I go to the store about once a week. I do freeze fresh veggies when I have more than I can eat, which is often.

Two: whole grains! that means whole grain bread, instead of white, legumes in soups, as many grains as i can fit in. i work for a bakery, so i get free bread - and it is no preservatives and lots of grains (unless i'm on a sourdough kick :cussing: ). but there are lots of ways to add more grains. oatmeal for breakfast, lentils in your stews and soups, brown and long grained rices instead of white...
I'm doing pretty well with the high fiber and whole grain deal. If I eat refined grains, I blow up like a balloon, thanks to Seroquel.

Three: when i get a craving for sugar, i try fruit juice first, or fresh fruit. if i still crave sugar, i go for something made from honey, or is organic, so i'm not getting refined sugar. i love Juicy Juice. lucky me, my blood sugar can stay stable with natural sugars. i know a lot of diabetics who can't even do that!
I'm doing pretty well for the most part with fruit and sugar free fudgcicles, although I do cave in from time to time, like yesterday, and buy actual chocolate.

Four: i actually balance my week's food (daily drives me nuts - i can't fit in the right things in so few meals, packed together) to be sure my magnesium and potassium and salts balance out, that i got enough dark greens, that i get enough of whatever i need... it's like a puzzle, so it's fun. and if i'm short on something, i just try to fix foods that balance it out more for the next week. my body goes off kilter very easily, so i actually have to keep track if i don't want to end up sick. maybe everyone does that and they just are never balanced enough to notice the difference?
This is impressive. Do you use something like Fitday.com, or do you just know it all in your head? I take vitamins, so Fitday seems to think that I'm getting my vitamin needs met, but I'm sure it would be better to get them from real food.

Five: the easiest way is to prepare the food! i like to make snacky items on my days off work and have them through out the week. i plan my menu for the entire month at the beginning of the month, and try a new recipe every week that has lots of healthy stuff in it. one week i made a mushroom caserole that used four or five different whole grains. another week i made a squash soup... i just have fun with it! it helps that i love to cook. i don't know how anyone does it when they don't cook.
Yes, I like to cook too, unless I'm seriously depressed. That planning for a month sounds scary to me though. lol. I'm not a planner. I do eat a lot of whole grains and beans. btw, your mushroom cassserole sounds yummy. Care to share the recipe?

and most important, if i crave something that is pure crap, i eat it. lol. i give in quickly, eat a small amount (or try to) and then return to my healthy diet. i made gheridelli brownies yesterday because i had to have chocolate and it's the closest to high quality - no crappy sugars i could get my grubby little paws on! mmm! i was good. i had one slice only. and immediately had a high protein supper afterwards! YUM!
Yeah, the "returning to the healthy diet" is the hard one, although I'm getting better at it. I used to think that if I had blown it, that I might as well blow the entire day and eat crap all day long, but I'm getting better about that.

i know this is totally long winded, but i actually spent five or six years learning how to eat well. when i quit being anorexic, i studied healthy diets. i did a total elimination diet to be sure i wasn't allergic to anything. i tried being vegetarian for three years. i read everything i could on nutrition. so i figure i have a pretty good idea of what my body needs and what i can buy at the grocery store versus what should be organic... but it took a lot of work. i didn't even know my stomach growled when hungry until i was 26.

abifae

Hats off to you. You're doing great, and you do seem to have a lot of knowledge, like with the kombu. Thanks for sharing your tips.

i got confused trying to cut your conversation in here to reply to, so i'm just replying. hope i'm not confusing.

awesome that you are getting the fresh veggies! i'd love to freeze mine, but i have no freezer space :)

i, too, blow up if i eat refined much of anything. just naturally me, though. i'm not on anything lol. it's why i first decided that refined foods didn't agree with me!

i hear you on real chocolate! mmmm... i couldn't survive without real chocolate!!!

here is the best news: only really high quality chocolate is low in refined crap ;) that means you aren't just pampering yourself by buying the good stuff.... it's necessary to your health.

about my balancing my diet... i've never even heard of Fitday. i've just studied. i started studying foods and their interactions in high school. and i started connecting that with myself a few years after that. i know which vitamins and minerals need what to work, and what inhibits them...

and more importantly, i've finally listened to my body for long enough to know what it needs. it tells me. i don't buy into "if you crave chocolate you really need brocolli". if i need brocolli, i crave that. if i need chocolate, that's what i crave :cussing: easy !!

i would love to meet all my nutritional needs through diet only, but i have trouble keeping my potassium and magnesium up (i really really need to add tons more grains and dark greens than i eat - but workign full time has screwed up my cooking schedule) so i take vitamins when i need to. i'm not even sure the foods that are supposed to have vitamins have as much as they should with soil depletion anyway.

that is why i plan my months food though. that and i don't have a car. i do my grocery shopping monthly. then i walk to the store for little things in between. so i have to plan well! weekly planning works just as well, i know. that's what i did back when i had a car.

the mushroom casserole recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/79760

yep. "returning to the healthy diet" is hard. it took me a long time to realize that i wasn't "breaking" my diet. i was just adding something unhealthy to it for a bit. so nothing was ruined. just carry on. it's all perspective. if you aren't "dieting" but just eating healthy, it's easier to stay on track, cuz if you can't "break" a diet, you're okay.

anyhoo, thanks for the hats off :wtf: i only seem to have a lot of knowledge. lots of things that work on me ONLY work on me. i've had much less chance to experiment on other people lol. but i'm like my own science kit, man. it's great. oooohhh... look what i got the body to do today... neat!

abifae

it's all perspective. if you aren't "dieting" but just eating healthy, it's easier to stay on track, cuz if you can't "break" a diet, you're okay.
Yeah, that's what's helping me. My goal is to eat healthy and be healthy. It's not a temporary "diet" like I've done in the past.

The mushroom casserole looks yummy! I think I read something about barley being the grain lowest in carbs. Is that right? Maybe I'll use all barley. I'm dying to try this now.

I bought some chromium yesterday. What do you think about chromium and blood sugar? How much, how often? The chick at the store told me to take 200 mcg before each meal.

I also bought some stevia, and I must say, it has a bit of bitterness to it, or maybe it's just my coffee. Nonetheless, it's an HERB and it's not sugar, so I feel much better about it.

and, hey, good news on the high end chocolate. ;) Do you just read labels and see which has the fewest ingredients?

• 2 weeks later...

The cinnamon really does work. Lookie here....

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4413

http://www.diabetes-diabetic-diet.com/cinnamon_diabetes.htm

I took a similar dosage to Abi, but it did not upset my stomach.....we had both tried the pills (Walmart...nice and cheap). Since it is so beneficial and inexpensive, it is really worth the try. My dad started using it after he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was able (with his doctor's blessing) go off the glucophage.

When I forget to take it, I can feel it...my hands puff up, I get headaches, I generally feel like crap....I crave all kinds of bad foods. So yeah. Cinnamon gets my vote.

Thanks. I bought some cinnamon last week and I've gained a few pounds already (which is one of my goals). I have had a couple of low blood sugar spells since taking it, but that's no biggie. Just a few questions: do you take the cinnamon by itself, or a special mix that includes a few other things? It seems like the cinnamon I've been taking is lowering my blood sugar only rather than helping regulate it as well. And are there a lot of harmful side effects to taking diabetic medications or is cinnamon just less of a hassle to take? And when should/how much you take it in regards to eating? Thanks again

Archived