CrazyBoards.org

SSRIs for social phobia

My opinion on SSRI's for social phobia is that yes, they are crap.  At least, the ones I've tried were for me, but I'm sure they do help some people.  Effexor XR didn't help much, Prozac didn't either, and I just started Lexapro.  I think Lexapro will be better for me in terms of general anxiety, but I don't know if it will help with social anxiety or not.  Klonopin and other benzos usually get much better results for social anxiety, but my pdoc won't prescribe it no matter what.  I'll give an update if the Lexapro helps me at all.

Has anyone had any success with SSRIs for social phobia?

I've tried two. Zoloft did nothing for my social phobia. Paxil has done wonders. I can go to meetings without the waves of fear washing over me. My anticipatory anxiety is almost nonexistant. I'm by no means cured, but in my experience Paxil has been a huge help.

It's strange,  paxil prozac and sertaline have all helped greatly with my social phobia. However paxil only worked the first time round, well it still works the second time but no where near as much plus my eyes look like i'm on drugs.  ;) Well I am on drugs, but I don't want to look it.

Anyway, I would say paxil is the best with social phobia.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say, that Social Anxiety responds best to a combo of meds to take the edge off, and CBT. I've found SSRI's help keep you from reaching the pinnacle of extreme terror, but you'll stil feel edgy and uncomfortable. I kind of go in cycles with my Social Anxiety, like, never functional, but sometimes worse, sometimes better. *shrug*

Archived