Some co-eds evicted for suicide attempts

"Policies barring potentially suicidal students from campus dorms have popped up across the country in recent years as colleges have struggled to decide how to best curb an estimated 1,100 suicides a year.

But just as quickly, some of those rules have come under attack."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060901/ap_on_...ollege_suicides

i graduated in '00. when i was in my sophomore year, i was between pdocs and living on a VERY rural campus. i decided to see the school doctor for psychiatric help to bridge me through until i could see my real gp at least. i at least needed some refills and a simple blood lithium check.

i sat in there on the exam table for a few minutes and then she came in. she asked me about how i was feeling. i told her i was suicidal and i especially needed my AD increased and probably my blood lithium level checked and maybe my lithium increased (I was on lithium and paxil at the time).

DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE DID??!!! she took my hand and asked me if i was strong and if i believed in god and jesus, and asked me to kneel and PRAY WITH HER!!!

i started shaking and sobbing and ran away.

so no wonder there are suicides on campus. maybe they need doctors who treat MI like a health condition and don't try to play minister.

they did let me live in the dorms, but oddly enough, a few years prior to my residence in that particular room a guy had committed suicide in there. i always felt odd about that. it was the only room on campus that anyone remembered that anyone had committed suicide in. and of course, they gave ME that room.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE DID??!!! she took my hand and asked me if i was strong and if i believed in god and jesus, and asked me to kneel and PRAY WITH HER!!!

That is just un-freaking-believeable! I am so sorry that you had to deal with something like that. That woman should not be practicing medicine.

I actually had a really rough time in my sophomore year as well. I was so low that I stopped going to class, then I stopped eating, then I stopped getting out of bed. My roommate finally convinced me to go to Health Services, who promptly got me a pdoc. Thankfully I got a good pdoc who recognised what was going on, and helped get me back on track so I could finish my degree.

That is the way it should be. People who need help, and seek it out should not be punished for it! I cannot believe in this "enlightened" age that people have to put up with backwards bullshit like that.

as a college student, i get upset by things like this. it is situations like these that make it so difficult to seek help. you shouldnt be punished for wanting to try and get better... it scares the hell out of me and has and continues to prevent me from seeking out the help i know that i really do need while in school.

Hi All,

Loon & Isobel - I had a very similar experience when I was a sophomore in college. That was indeed my "crazy" year.

my grandfather died thanksgiving weekend. i was not with the family - i was with my bf who later became my husband whom im now divorcing....but back to the point. i wanted to be with the family....so i took another week off of school to be with the family. and then i went back to school (family in CA, school in NC) for winter finals. and i was a complete wreck. I went to the school "therapist" and she too, "prayed" for me. and advised i should go to the gp for sleeping pills. of which i did and they didnt work.

spring semester everyone thought i had in this order: mono, HIV, lukiema...and all the blood tests came back negative. so the doctor threw various antibiotics my way.

and after that, i said no thank you to antibiotics....ive only taken them one time since.

but back to needing good mental health workers or referrals in college. for the traditional student - this is a major time of change and "finding one's self." Universities and colleges really need to help the MI.

i wish there was something more i could do than type here....but im not able to do much right now.

add me to the emails or whatever....

december

you know, this is kind of a creepy trend- usually schools have some sort of policy (at least liberal arts schools do) forcing freshmen to live on campus. so if you're MI or not, you must live on campus. however, once y ou're a sophomore,forget it! if you're suicidal or MI, off you go! or, we can pray, or you MUST have HIV because you're down and out!

loon

DD just started college and is living at home this year while we try to get all of this under control. HOWEVER, I would have no issue filing a law suit over something like this. They ought to try to get a few other things under control that are "not allowed" in dorms (i.e. overnight visitors of the opposite sex, drugs, alcohol, etc.) before they start infringing on the rights of the disabled.

Also, feeling suicidal and being suicidal are two different things. If you were to take a poll of hs and college students and ask who has ever contemplated suicide - good God, we'd have no one living in the damn dorms. I realize that these "rules" are for those who make a suicidal attempt but the infringement of rights in even stating the "thought" does occur on campuses which is why MI is a "closet" illness.

• 2 weeks later...

The Residence Life Manager of my university residence wrote up a "behavioural contract" for me to sign in the fall of 2000. It said that I had exhibited behaviours which bothered others in the residence community and that they had to stop immediately, and if I committed any of these behaviours again, I would no longer be permitted to live in residence. It said that examples of these behaviours which had to stop included cutting myself using razor blades or other means, taking an overdose of medication, and lying in the elevator or other common areas in a state of depression. (One of my friends looked at that last one and said, "Wow, they'd have to kick EVERYBODY out. I don't know anyone who's never lain down on the couch in the lounge and been depressed one time or another." Yeah, lying down in the elevator is a bad thing, but I've really got to love the way they worded it to include "other common areas." Also how they listed three examples of behaviours and implied that anything unspecified I did that they didn't like was also fair game to kick me out.)

I signed it, though, because I realized that it didn't bother them that I was mentally ill. The problem was that I scared other people. So I acted the same and hid it better. I kept cutting myself but started wearing long sleeves. (I didn't wear short sleeves before because I wanted attention; I just didn't think I should be ashamed of my cutting and that I should dress however was comfortable for me, same as I would if I didn't cut.) I lay in a state of depression most of the time, but made sure it was in my bed and not on a couch in the lounge (and DEFINITELY not in the elevator). I stopped going to talk to my RA if I had a problem. I felt insulted and humiliated at being mistreated, and everything just got even worse, but I hid it. I completely stopped going to class and almost never went to meals. Then I completely broke the contract by making a serious suicide attempt in December, but they didn't have to kick me out, because by this time I had already decided that I was going to transfer schools in January. I definitely couldn't stand living there anymore.

wow wonder, that is depressing! your mental health wasn't the issue, it was scaring other students! it is a good thing you switched schools. and wearing whatever sleeves you want- it is a public place, you're allowed to wear clothes, no matter if you cut or not

Archived