I am due to have a partial hyst Jan/Feb 2007 due to constant probs with my periods (pos due to endo) and I was just wondering about recovery times and experiences from other people tht have had partial hysts.

I have Cerebral Palsy (CP) and I already have carers for 9hrs a week (1 hour Mon - Sun (to help with personal care)exc Wed where I have 2 and a half/3 and a half alt weeks to help with housework and main shop)). I will organise to receive extra care while recovering. So I was wondering as well as experiences what would a reasonable timescale to resuming normal activities and when do i know if i would be rushing it and pushing myself too hard.

I am having a partial hyst because I am only 23 (24 by the time I have it) and he doesn't want to put my bones at risk especially since my mobility is already limited due to the CP.

Thanx

Toni

I am due to have a partial hyst Jan/Feb 2007 due to constant probs with my periods (pos due to endo) and I was just wondering about recovery times and experiences from other people tht have had partial hysts.

I have Cerebral Palsy (CP) and I already have carers for 9hrs a week (1 hour Mon - Sun (to help with personal care)exc Wed where I have 2 and a half/3 and a half alt weeks to help with housework and main shop)). I will organise to receive extra care while recovering. So I was wondering as well as experiences what would a reasonable timescale to resuming normal activities and when do i know if i would be rushing it and pushing myself too hard.

I am having a partial hyst because I am only 23 (24 by the time I have it) and he doesn't want to put my bones at risk especially since my mobility is already limited due to the CP.

Thanx

Toni

i had a partial hysterectomy several years ago. best thing i have ever done!! i only have one ovary left to keep my hormones balanced.

it was a wonderful experience!!!!!! i don't hurt so much anymore, and i'm not as sick anymore, and i am more flexible and stronger!!!

i was up to normal activities within six weeks. still moving a bit slowly, but within three months, i had surpassed myself in pre-surgery strength and energy. i should add that i had actually atrophied my back muscles due to the severity of the cramping, so i was starting from scratch getting my strength up.

after six weeks, i started yoga and pilates (very very slowly, i barely made it through any class and just stopped when i was too sore) and within three months i was doing the entire class without issues.

good luck to you! i hope you enjoy it as much as i did!! or enjoy the results rather. the surgery itself was not bad, but no party. i bruised a lot. and i caught the stomach flu my first day home lol. and my cats loved jumping onto my stomach from high up for weeks. sighs. but i feel super duper now ;)

abifae

Thanx abifae. U are the first person from a few I have spoken to on the web (apart from a v close friend) that has given me positive feedback about me going through with this.

They all think that I shouldn't give up my ability to have kids naturally at my age but that's something that I have never wanted was kids. I like them but not to have 24/7/365. I have strong views on how i would like to bring up a child if i were to have one but my disability stops me from doing so and plus I wouldn't want to put all the responsibility of a child onto one person it wouldn't be fair.

Having said that I know tht no matter how much I don't want kids now tht may change in the future and if it does there is adoption.It's not the end of the world for me not to have natural kids. What would be the end of the world however is having to put up with the pain and everything tht goes with tht until I reach natural menapause just on the slim chance i might want kids.

i get that a lot... But you'll never be able to have babies! but if you adopt it won't be YOUR kid... i'm sure all the adopted kids out there love that one.

i never wanted kids. i don't like the idea of a full time kid around. ew. not for me. if i change my mind i'll adopt. i do not understand this society's anti-adoption thing. it's weird. who cares if you're flesh and blood related? as many affairs as people have, probably quite a few people who think they're related aren't, and they still love each other just fine. sighs.

anyway, here's a funny about my surgery. my doc told me that i'd probably go through a while of wanting kids after the surgery. i thought she meant emotionally because i suddenly couldn't.

heh. she meant, there'd be a huge hormone swing because my poly-cystic ovaries wouldn't be overreactign so much (i do have the one left, remember). all of a sudden i was (for the first and thank god ONLY time in my life) interested in babies. maybe all my friends could have babies? maybe i'd be a good mom even though i'm bug nuts and shouldn't be left alone wiht anything smaller than a five year old? lol. it passed!! luckily. quickly. in a few weeks. but in the meantime... phew. how weird and icky.

so you've been warned ;)

abifae

Thanx for the warning. I am being left with both ovaries so we'll see what happens.

Another question I have is what is the normal expected time to be in hospital. I hate being in hospital coz it cuts me off from all my friends as most of them don't live locally as I have met them online and at most I only have a mobile number for them and you can't use mobiles in hospitals and I am dreading my time of disconnection so to say. If I had an idea of how long i would be in I could attempt to prepare myself and my friends.

Thanx again

i was in the hospital for three days total.

the first day was the surgery and post op... all i remember was itching (allergic to morphine! they switched me to demeral pretty quick)... the second day i demanded the removal of the pee tube. my doctor said i had to be able to walk to the bathroom and i pretty much threw myself over the guard rail towards the bathroom lol. she took it out if i promised to have a friend there to help me, since i was so determined.

the third day i was throwing up a bit, but it passed. that's when i was catching the stomach flu, but didn't know it. anyway, i'd already eaten through the staples so htey had to pull them and use tape. i'd already healed enough for that, cuz i do that. good thing since i corrode staples!

went home early the next morning. had to call in for anti nausea meds the next day for the stomach flu, but that was the only real problem. it took me a week before i was really walking easily to the bathroom. and i was still kinda hunched over walking at my three week appointment. but since by then, my doc said i looked like i was three months along... i think the extra discomfort was that i was healing so fast.

my doctor concurred, actually.

so it went smoothly. the hospital time passed quickly because i mostly slept. i slept that whole first week. by the time i realized i was allergic to the morphine, i was already MORE comfy than i'd been before the surgery. which tells you the state i was in before the surgery. no wonder i just slept and slept. my doctor was concerned until i told her i hadn't slept much in a long time from the pain. i was enjoying not hurting.

she said "not hurting? you just had surgery and your bruised across your entire abdomin and you're having an allergic reaction to morphine" and i just said "feels soooo much better!!"

like i said, wonderful surgery!

one more note: my doctor thinks part of what sped up the recovery was that i had done belly dance and pilates the whole year before the surgery - i was used to using different muscles to get around, which meant i was getting around quickly. so if you are able - start tummy excercise now. it'll help.

abifae

I hope I can get out as quick as tht. I just hate being in hospital I can never sleep right and I always get sick from the anaesthetic so my plan was to ask for anti sickness meds straight away. more often than not I end up having to have the injection tho.

I had a pee tube in the last time i was in hospital and I hated it - it felt like u needed to pee all the time and when i did pee I was worried it would leak and when I got it out it was like being a baby again as my body had got used to not having to recognise when i needed.

Funny u should mention tummy excersizes. I haven't done any yet but what i have been doing is trying to focus when I am moving about to figure out when my stomach muscles are being used and maybe be able to train myself to move without using the stomach muscles so much.

Maybe my disability will come in handy in a sense coz the only time I walk about is when I am in my house and tht's when I'm not sitting at computer or lying in my bed. If I go out the house I am sitting all the time as am either in my electric or manual wheelchair (only think i will have 2 watch is bumps in the streets etc). Even if I do walk outdoors it's only to go from house to car or car to chair.

I hope I can get out as quick as tht. I just hate being in hospital I can never sleep right and I always get sick from the anaesthetic so my plan was to ask for anti sickness meds straight away. more often than not I end up having to have the injection tho.

I had a pee tube in the last time i was in hospital and I hated it - it felt like u needed to pee all the time and when i did pee I was worried it would leak and when I got it out it was like being a baby again as my body had got used to not having to recognise when i needed.

Funny u should mention tummy excersizes. I haven't done any yet but what i have been doing is trying to focus when I am moving about to figure out when my stomach muscles are being used and maybe be able to train myself to move without using the stomach muscles so much.

Maybe my disability will come in handy in a sense coz the only time I walk about is when I am in my house and tht's when I'm not sitting at computer or lying in my bed. If I go out the house I am sitting all the time as am either in my electric or manual wheelchair (only think i will have 2 watch is bumps in the streets etc). Even if I do walk outdoors it's only to go from house to car or car to chair.

pee tubes are pure torture. i felt it the entire time and it hurt.

not having to walk a lot will be helpful those first few days for sure!! i don't know much anything about CP, but it's good you will have people around to help you out. i had my significant other living with me and i ran her feet off the first day lol. after that i tried to do a bit more for myself, but she was pretty annoyed at how slow i healed up! according to her ;p

hopefully you'll get more input lol. it's definitely a big decision - more because you're undergoing major surgery than because of kids, in my opinion, but still - a biggie! so it's good to know what you're getting into. i've heard from several people that their surgery went well, too.

just always remember to follow your doctor's advice. my mom's had several surgeries - always ignores the docs and always has issues. like huge problems, the moron.

abifae

The CP in me is mild. I walk about using sticks when indoors and have my chairs when outdoors. The muscles in my legs aren't strong enough for me to walk unaided. My muscles are tighter than normal and I am weaker down the left side. Other than tht I am just like anyone esle.

This is not a decision i have taken lightly but at the same time it didn't take much to make me want one. The decision would've been harder had I wanted kids but I don't so tht makes it easier.

I have never really been one for following drs orders but tht's mainly to try and wangle my way out of hospital quicker. Once I was home I do most of what the drs say.

"who cares if you're flesh and blood related?"

Genetic snobbery is all that is. And, really, how many people actually LIKE their relatives? Is sharing their genetic material really that important?!?!? (Hee he ehee)

As for the hospital stay, my mom just had a hysterectomy last week. She was only in the hospital overnight. About 20 years ago she had a fillopian tube and one ovary removed. She wanted them to take everything out at that time but they wouldn't. Now she is seriously pissed off she had to go through all this AGAIN.

I also have a girlfriend who was told she needed a hysterectomy in her 20's. Since she wasn't sure if she was going to have more kids (she had 2) she decided to wait. Now she is almost 40 and has had nothing but trouble with the girly bits. She told them "take it all out"....and now the doctors are dragging their feet. She FINALLY got a doctor to agree to do it, but she said the doc keeps trying to talk her out of it. I wonder how much of this has to do with insurance companies and not really what is best for the patient.

wifezilla, my favorite part of being autistic and lacking learned social cues is that i don't give a rip about anyone because i might be "related" lol. i have easier holidays than anyone else i know.

i still can't believe i found a doctor to remove my "girly bits" as you say lol. i was only 26, which is young, i guess. but the doctor said "you've been in pain since fifth grade, enough is enough".

let's hear it for the few docs who care about patients.

abifae

"who cares if you're flesh and blood related?"

Genetic snobbery is all that is. And, really, how many people actually LIKE their relatives? Is sharing their genetic material really that important?!?!? (Hee he ehee)

As for the hospital stay, my mom just had a hysterectomy last week. She was only in the hospital overnight. About 20 years ago she had a fillopian tube and one ovary removed. She wanted them to take everything out at that time but they wouldn't. Now she is seriously pissed off she had to go through all this AGAIN.

I also have a girlfriend who was told she needed a hysterectomy in her 20's. Since she wasn't sure if she was going to have more kids (she had 2) she decided to wait. Now she is almost 40 and has had nothing but trouble with the girly bits. She told them "take it all out"....and now the doctors are dragging their feet. She FINALLY got a doctor to agree to do it, but she said the doc keeps trying to talk her out of it. I wonder how much of this has to do with insurance companies and not really what is best for the patient.

I know I don't see what the fuss is about genetics either. I guess a lot of people just prefer to have their own biological kids and that goes for a lot of men as well. One of the questions my gyn asked me was what happens if you go out after having hyst and meet a guy who says he will only be with u if u can have his kids?? my answer to tht was "If a guy really loves me he wont mind whether the kids are biologically his or not and if he does he obviously doesn't like me for who i am"

No wonder ur mum is pissed off I would be too. It's taken me 8 years to persuade drs and gyn to get hyst and even tho I don't like the idea of them leaving my ovaries I can see why they are doing it. I mean if i got brittle bones on top of my disability it could cause major probs and also I don't fancy going through menapause at 24.

wifezilla, my favorite part of being autistic and lacking learned social cues is that i don't give a rip about anyone because i might be "related" lol. i have easier holidays than anyone else i know.

i still can't believe i found a doctor to remove my "girly bits" as you say lol. i was only 26, which is young, i guess. but the doctor said "you've been in pain since fifth grade, enough is enough".

let's hear it for the few docs who care about patients.

abifae

There are some good drs out there but I guess even some of the best need convincing not so much for their own sake as such but to cover their backs professionally so u don't rush into big decisions then regret it and sue their ass off for not warning u of the risks as such.

When my husband went in for a vasectomy, *I* had to sign a bunch of paperwork saying it was OK.... ;)

I have the feeling the doctor had been sued before.

this country is just too sue happy. i want a law that says if you waste a court's time with stupidity, you pay all the fees and your case gets thrown out. sighs.

but that is neither here nor there, insofar as this thread is concerned. :)

abifae

I don't plan on suing dr anytime soon lol! Ppl seem to expect everything to go without a prob when they have ops nowadays and forget about the risks tht go along with the surgery and I think tht tht ignorance is where the problem lies not with the drs.

I don't plan on suing dr anytime soon lol! Ppl seem to expect everything to go without a prob when they have ops nowadays and forget about the risks tht go along with the surgery and I think tht tht ignorance is where the problem lies not with the drs.

too true. they explain the risks quite clearly. you sign a form that says you understand. therefore, logically, youshould not be able to sue if it was a normal risk.

there's a difference if the doctor leaves equipment in you and you get an infection and need more surgery, but most problems are just normal.

hehehe. my doctor had to draw a line where she needed to cut - while i was awake. just so she didn't get confused, she said. i asked her to be sure she didn't draw it on my forhead and give me a labotomy or anything. she said insurance sucks sometimes. apparently, to be insured, doctors have to do things like indicate where they are cutting so they don't get patients confused. that actually worried me more than signing any forms had!!

abifae

Just phoned up my gyn's secretary and explained tht I wanted to go th Egypt next March if possible and it seems I will be able to go. She said that I would prob be going in on 4 Jan to get the hyst on the 5 Jan but she will send out a letter confirming once the theatre times for then have been confirmed.

She sed I would prob be in 6-7 days on average - one day b4 op and 5 after

I went to Egypt in Feb this year and loved it but want to go back next year coz it's a different trip. This year we went to the pyramids and the sphinx (light and sound show too), to Memphis (not Tennessee) and Sakkara and went to the Mosque where the founder of Egypt is buried and a dinner cruise on the Nile. This trip next year is going to the pyramids just the same but after tht we're flying to Luxor and going to the Valley of the Kings and the Aswan Dam and then a cruise back to Cairo.

The hols are operated by a company called Wings on Wheels and they take disabled people various places round the world. U can either take ur own carers or they can provide carers for u if u want to go on your own.

My Egypt pics

These are my pics but they don't do the pyramids justice.

I went to Egypt in Feb this year and loved it but want to go back next year coz it's a different trip. This year we went to the pyramids and the sphinx (light and sound show too), to Memphis (not Tennessee) and Sakkara and went to the Mosque where the founder of Egypt is buried and a dinner cruise on the Nile. This trip next year is going to the pyramids just the same but after tht we're flying to Luxor and going to the Valley of the Kings and the Aswan Dam and then a cruise back to Cairo.

The hols are operated by a company called Wings on Wheels and they take disabled people various places round the world. U can either take ur own carers or they can provide carers for u if u want to go on your own.

My Egypt pics

These are my pics but they don't do the pyramids justice.

oooooohhh! don't worry wifezilla - i'm quite envious. i would love to travel. sighs. ah well.

the thing i miss most from being a mililtary brat is travelling to other countries. but i never made it to anywher ein the middle east.

abifae

• 2 months later...

Got a letter the other day confirming tht I go in on 4 Jan and have the op on 5 Jan.

I had a dream today (sun) that when I went in for my op they found something more serious that first suspected and they had to do a full hysterectomy rather than the partial one they had first wanted to do. Now in this dream I was either awake and watching them as they operated on me or they were showing me a video of the op and talking me through what they had to do at some point after the op (I am not sure which).

Now my dreams have a habit of coming true. Every concert I have been to (right down to getting the tix to go meet steps in London in 2001) I have dreamt about and every concert I was meant to go to but didn't (inc the recent Evanescence one) I didn't dream about. I even had a dream one night that I had a different carer than usual and the next day came and it wasn't my usual carer that came.

It has now got me wondering whether this latest dream of mine is an omen as well ;)

What you have to look forward to depends on the way the hysterectomy is peformed and what complications, if any, you experience. Be aware of the risks and benifits. Living with adhesions afterwards can be really painful, but they do not always form. Adhesions are scar tissue and I`m not refering to the suface incision. I strongly suggest you do some physican therapy as soon as possible after the surgery and for weeks afterwards to keep the resulting scar tissue as pliable as can be. That scar tissue can adhere to the spine and really be a problem for some people. You might need to find out before hand what you can do so that you can start moving the first day. Be pain medicated sufficiently so that you can move around. If you get up to stand and walk to the window the first day, around the nursing station the next couple of days, then you will need less medication i.e. anti-coagulants or meds to reduce fluid build up if indicated. I don`t expect you will be in hopital for very long.

Thanx for the info. I have been told I'll be in for about a week (1 day before op, the day of the op and 5 days after op). Keeping mobile could be a problem for me because of my disability but I'm going to try and get as active as I can soon after op (minus all the things ur not meant to do of course)

Archived