Occupational Tharapists

At some point this fall, my pdoc is suggesting I see an occupational therapist to determine whether or not I am capable of returning to work.

Has anyone seen an occupational therapist? If so, what was the process like?

If you are Canadian, do you think my health insurance policy would cover an occupational therapist (standard work plan, covers regular therapists)?

I have already read what I could find online, so I am interested more in personal experiences, rather than definitions.

Thanks.

Heya Dee,

1. Likely your insurance will cover, but check first.

2. I chatted with an OT at the Star Trek (see my thread) conference. I asked him how he would define OT. He said, Think of everything you do from when you wake up in the morning until you go to sleep at night. OT helps you with those.

I hope OT works out for you. Very useful for some of my patients. To start with, cleaning up the house and buying groceries.

--ncc--

I've always thought of OT associated with physical disorders (ie. cerebral palsy, low muscle tone, etc) but I suppose it could also apply to mental disorders. I think ncc's quote sums it up pretty nicely. it just goes through anything you might have to do and it teaches you how to do it well and without hurting yourself or other people. I don't know much about you, but I guess you'd be taught how to cope with a boss, or how to interact with people again? just how to get through the day without going crazy.

I'm sort of thinking out loud. my brother's been going to OT for low muscle tone all his life and I can tell you all about that, and my best friend has cerebral palsy and it's the same story so I can tell you all about the physical stuff that OT helps with, but not so much the mental.

so, yeah. mental OT is unfamiliar territory. good luck, and let me know if you need to know anything about physical OT, because I've got that covered by now. ;)

the occupational therapist my ex company (a few companies ago) had me go to in order to get a release to return to work was very different. i don't know if my company knew their asses from a hole in the ground or what.

they made me go to a psychatrist specializing in on-the-job performance, stresses, and injuries to make a determination on if i was ready to return to work or not mentally, since i was out on a mental health leave. maybe they have these for physical and mental occupational therapies or something. i had to go to this lady and she basically asked me if i felt ready to return to work, and i told her yet, and she signed off on my form. there wasn't any big discussion over it.

it took me all that time to find an occupational therapist and then when i did find one, she just asked me if i could go back to work adn then signed the paper. not that i 'm complaining that i got to go back to get to go back and get fired 2 weeks later, but hey, shit happens.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a few occupational therapists throughout my craziness.

It seems that they do different things in different hospitals but no matter what their focus is getting you to be able to do your activities of daily living in a safe and effective manner.

This may manifest itself in different ways. For example this winter in the hospital the OT did a lot of arts and crafts with me. This helped me to learn patience (paint drying) and learn to follow a process from start to finish.

In other OT groups at other hospitals we would do discussions etc but they were always centered around activities of daily living.

Archived