CrazyBoards.org

So ... Risperdal made me gain a lot of weight.  I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is accompanied by insulin resistance, which makes it very hard to lose weight, and very easy to gain weight.  And the more weight you gain, the worse your insulin resistance can get, apparently.  I made my pdoc take me off Risperdal after a few months of reluctant compliance, but by then I had already gained back the weight it had taken me two years of Metformin and exercise to lose. 

I went to see my endocrinologist yesterday.  He was concerned about how much weight I had gained.  I told him it was because of Risperdal.  He nodded and said "Yes, the atypical antipsychotics can actually *induce* insulin resistance." 

So why on earth did my pdoc push every atypical antipsychotic she could think of (well, except Zyprexa, even she was smarter than that) on me over the past few years, and try to keep me on Risperdal even when I complained of excessive weight gain?  My pdoc knew I had insulin resistance from *day one*.  I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance before I ever began seeing this pdoc.

*wants to explode*

Guest Guest

What were they for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry it took me a while to respond.

The atypical-go-round were all prescribed in an effort to ameliorate my anxiety and obsessive thoughts. 

Google the words "cinnamon" and "diabetes"...you can take cinnamon to counteract the insuline resistance. Lots of articles out there. My dad did it and is now off diabetes 2 meds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds really interesting.  I'll check it out.  Thank you!

What were they for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The atypical-go-round were all prescribed in an effort to ameliorate my anxiety and obsessive thoughts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn.

And what else did he try before that?

What were they for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn.

And what else did he try before that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not much.

Not much.  Lexapro and Gabitril (which I'm still on), trazodone for sleep (which didn't work), then it was straight into atypical-land.  Seroquel (which worked for sleep for awhile), Geodon (which gave me panic attacks), Abilify (which made me feel like a zombie), then Geodon *again* (since surely it couldn't have caused panic attacks ... never mind I'd never had them before or since), then Risperdal (which made me into Shamu).  Since Zyprexa would definitely turn me into Shamu as well, the only place left to go was the standard antipsychotics, since she's direly convinced that antipsychotics are the way to go.

ETA: For sleep I've been on benzos since the failure of Seroquel (Klonopin, then Xanax, then Klonopin again), but none of those predated the Turn to Atypicals.  Now I'm starting Lunesta for sleep.  Heh, if my pdoc ever reads this board, she'll know who I am. :/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She only tried you on one SSRI? And one anticonvulsant? And one other antidepressant?

Fuck!

Archived