Car Issues

hiya-

i have a 1989 toyota camry. it has over 200,000 miles on it and still runs pretty good most of the time. about a month ago it started this business of just stalling in the middle of the street whenever i go between 20-40 mph for several minutes at a time. so, this includes driving around my neighborhood and highway traffic (so far, very lucky for me, it has not done it on the highway).

normally, it has limited itself to just this sudden stopping behavior. i put on the hazards, slam it into neutral, turn the key, get it going, put it in drive, take off the hazards, and act like nothing happened. it usually takes seconds for this all to happen, but it is dangerous!

yesterday on the highway, it was as if the car went into overdrive or something. i was going at 60mph and suddenly, the RPM went up but i couldn't get the mph to budge. i was lucky to maintain that mph in that lane! i waited until i could and then slammed the accelerator as hard as i could, and for some reason that snapped it out of whatever funk it was in and i drove home without it pulling any of that crap again.

what is wrong with my car? i'm taking it to the shop today and my mechanic thinks it is something with the fuel pump and fuel line, but i haven't told him about yesterday yet. i don't even know if it is related or was totally random, or just that the car is old and getting crappy.

help!

today the mechanic put a new fuel pump in it and that is Plan A. hopefully this is the issue. we will move on to other plans if this one fails.

i really hope this fixes it and i don't have some worse emergency, like stalling out in the middle of rush hour traffic or something! so far it has saved itself for suburban streets and not the metro highways.

why my f-&((&()*()*( ing car?

he said he doesn't think my car is dangerous and wouldn't let me drive it if he thought it was dangerous. thanks for the vote of confidence over the Plans A-Z stuff! lol (well, wishing i could laugh, really)

thanks for your vote of confidence in my car over me! come on, i can drive with a cell phone on my ear while putting on makeup, while my car stalls out on me and i have to get it to go again! it is called "multi-tasking". lol

loon

Archived