versed and my memory is gone

i had surgery on tuesday and was given versed and morphine for pain afterwards (at least that is what the papers i have say). the problem is that i have no memory of anything that occurred before yesterday going all the way back a few weeks at least, i guess. the only reason i know i had surgery is because i have two incisions and i have papers saying i did. i dont know what i am getting at here except to ask if this is something normal.

i don't know anything about midazolam beyond that it is used in hospitals. but it seems odd that it would have affected your memory before the surgery . if they gave it to you tuesday, it should be out of your system by now. (unless they gave you some afterwards, but that would be unusual.)

can you get in touch with your doctor or anesthiologist?

Gee, Invictus,

That would quite disconcerting. Hope you didn't wake up in a bathtub of ice with a cell phone and a note that said your kidneys have been removed, call 911. The makings of an urban legend. ;)

I ran some quick checks on Versed and didn't find anything mentioning extensive retrograde amnesia (before the application of the medication) or anteriograde amnesia (after the medication), more than a few hours. That is why Versed is commonly used.

You don't mention how long you were in the hospital, other than surgery Tuesday and memory returning yesterday, Saturday. Is it possible that you were recieving Versed until yesterday?

Even though Versed is supposed to be short acting, it is not unusual for some meds to take time to wear off. It would be normal to have no memory for an hour or two either side of the surgery, but otherwise any long term amnesia would be unusual.

If your memory doesn't improve by Tuesday, I recommend calling the anesthesiologist, or if unable to contact him, the surgeon.

If you you forget that we discussed this topic, feel free to post it again! :)

Hope you feel better, a.m.

Archived