Everytime I read the news it seems that nothing is getting better. It makes me wonder why friggin bother. People are hateful,mean, and cruel. The homeless are starving on the streets, there is war (or almost war) everywhere and all i do is check out with a book or the stupid crap on tv. none of this is worth it. life sucks.

lilie

Lilie,

There is evil in the universe and we humans generate more than our fair share of it. It's overwhelming if you try to look at all of it, especially when you're already depressed.

I had to take a couple of years off from newspapers and television news. I just couldn't cope with it anymore. I have developed a much narrower viewpoint these days. I do good in my own small way, when and where I can. It's not enough, but it's what I can do. Donations to causes I believe in, treating people well, being kind to animals, being a mentor and teacher in my profession and trying to leave a small footprint environmentally. More than that puts me back on the road to more craziness.

Happy smiling people do not sell newspapers. Well adjusted individuals are not good TV. When you look at the popular media, you are getting a very narrow view.

You may want to try a site like this to balance things out...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/

"The Good News Network is a clearinghouse for the gathering and dissemination of positive news stories from around the globe. Daily stories will confirm what we already believe -- that good news itself is not in short supply; the advertising of it is."

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/content/view/1043/118/

Thanks, wifezilla. I love this green housing New Orleans story. I wonder who's footing the bill, or if it's just a pie in the sky plan. Brad Pitt and AJ could foot the bill. Maybe they will.

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/content/view/1042/118/

Love this story too, about affordable NBA basketball shoes. Right on, Stephon Marbury.

You may want to try a site like this to balance things out...

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/

By the Great Horn Spoon! This site should be required reading for anybody who is 1) a reader of CNN.com*, or 2) depressed.

I'm pinning the link to the top of the board. Thanks, WZ.

;) Do not read this footnote if currently staying with us here in the Abyss. :) *BTW, if you read today's installment, don't be too sad about the Crocodile Hunter, if this news bothers you. He did more good during his life than an army of average folks, died doing what he loved, and in my belief, is now enjoying all the animals he could ever want to see, without fear.

Cerberus

Thanks I'll look it up today not only am I depressed but in a serious freaking rage. I've been like this since I woke up. I was DREAMING of hurting people, burning everything(that actyually was comforting), and hurting my husband. Now I woke up mad that I can't. This new med doesn't seem to be working out as planned everything sucks.

;)

lilie

I take it the new med is Welbutrin? I didn't get nearly as bad as you, but for some weeks after starting and after raising the dose I felt cranky and irritable. Now I don't, really.

I seem to recall that another drug you're starting up on is Adderall, though I don't recall why. If you're like me, it may not be the best combination to start together. I get would up easier with Adderall than without it, tho I suppose some people may have the opposite effect. Focalin (which is like Ritalin, sorta), on the other hand, helped me to have more emotional control when I took it. Maybe too much.

word lillie. people motherfucking suck. while those 'goodnews' sites are nice, i don't think the problem is really the american media's overreportage of bad stuff. if anything the american media lets 90% of real human misery around the globe go unreported. it just revels in the dumb shit like laci peterson killings for ratings. if people really heard about the bad stuff going on in the world, and actually did something about it, then i'd say we'd have a chance of making the world better. otherwise it seems like believe the fluff or salivate over the next high profile murder trial. yippee america!!!

Archived