i am allergic to all the 'cillins and sulphas... so i usually use a strong infusion on thyme and sage for any infections i get (i'm fairly prone to sinus infections. bleh). since i'm getting one now, i think, i should find out about anything stronger than thyme.

or maybe i'm not brewing it strong enough?

so i've heard of colloidal silver and i've just seen oil of oregano.

has anyone had any luck with either of those, or know much about either?

abifae

In my search to solve my sinus / allergy problems this is one I ran across a number of years ago.

Unfortunately there is nothing to support its effectiveness. The two uses of silver as antibiotics I am familiar with are both topical, not internal. Silver nitrate solution has been used for decades to prevent blindness from gonorrhea in newborns. Ointment containg silver (unsure of form) is used to treat serious burns.

The best treatment I'm finding for chronic sinusitis is:

1. Daily sinus irrigation with saline water*

2. A 24 hour anithistamine like, Allegra, Claritin, etc.

3. A steroid nasal spray, must use daily for best effect

4. An antihistamine nasal spray, PRN, i.e. Astelin

5. For emergency use only, Afrin (it is addictive if used more than about 3 days in a row)

6. Get allergy tested, and take allergy shots

7. Be serious about avoiding all allergens.

*I have been following the papers on chronic sinusitis and last year some docs at the Mayo Clinic published papers indicating that 80% of sufferers had various molds in their sinuses, but did not have fungal growth. They believe that there is a mold sensitivity separate from true allergy at work.

The experimented with treating them with topical anti-funga sprays containing Amphotericin-B, a highly potent but toxic drug. Mayo has at least 3 patents on topical solutions for this. I went so far as to buy their papers, and discussed having the solution compounded by local pharmacists, but it is impractical outside of a hospital setting.

I did find a small company in Florida that is marketing an OTC nasal spray aimed at just this problem, called Sino-Fresh. Eckerd Drugs carries it. It is a mild saline solution with wintergreen, spearmint, peppermint, eucalyptis oils and two topical antitbacterials which are FDA approved and used in toothpastes and mouthwashes: cetylpyridinium and benzalkonium chloride.

The mint oils are known for their antibacterial properties, and they make nasal irrigation a lot more pleasant, plus they help reduce congestion.

Hope you feel better,

a.m.

i am allergic to all the 'cillins and sulphas... so i usually use a strong infusion on thyme and sage for any infections i get (i'm fairly prone to sinus infections. bleh). since i'm getting one now, i think, i should find out about anything stronger than thyme.

Some of the cephalosporins are different enough from penicillin and its derivatives to not trigger a reaction.

Tetracycline, doxycycline, and relatives, although not first-line can be still be used for some bacterial infections.

Erythromycin and zithromax are decent second-line for strep.

Even Cipro get used sometimes for things other than anthrax.

In other words, for a bacterial infection there are a lot of alternatives, not counting the fact that the sulfa-based

group is broad enough that it is NOT likely that reactions to a couple mean you are allergic to all.

I point this out because [a] antibiotics won't do shit for a viral infection - and most upper-respiratory infections are viral,

and colloidal silver won't do even that much. It's a topical at best.

The idea behind "colloidal silver" is the same hippy-dippy voodoo line of thinking that dose doesn't matter (if it has

any silver in it, Luna herself will smile upon you as if you'd applied a real silver-based microbicide) as that which

proclaims that any exposure to radioactivity will cause cancer, two-headed children, and Republican presidencies.

Next they'll be selling "colloidal arsenic" as an anti-cancer remedy. After all, arsenic is natural too and there are

still arsenic-based medications on the market (Trisenox anyone?)

thank you ;) no wonder i'd never heard of it lol. i'll stick with my thyme. it's actually what i use if i get a sinus infection badly enough to bother irrigating. thyme, salt, and warm water.

my sinus infections are almost always a direct result of having just had thrush in the back of my throat. i think the yeast just irritates the crap out of the mucous membrane and i get infections from there. i'll feel better in another week, if it runs as usual.

abifae

When I get sinus infections it is usualy because I am just getting over an ear infection. Not sure if it will help you, but when I get like that I take an anti inflamatory and a decongestant. Making sure everything can drain seems to clear things up very quickly.

Even when I take antibiotics, without the ibuprophen and tussen, it lingers forever. It might be worth a try.

When I get sinus infections it is usualy because I am just getting over an ear infection. Not sure if it will help you, but when I get like that I take an anti inflamatory and a decongestant. Making sure everything can drain seems to clear things up very quickly.

Even when I take antibiotics, without the ibuprophen and tussen, it lingers forever. It might be worth a try.

*wrinkles nose* i haven't bought ingredients for decongestants yet this year. it's on my list for this month. but i always have wormwood around. it's my favorite anti inflammatory :) i'll have to try that! i'm sure the cats sleeping on my face don't help ;)

abifae

Abi, oral thrush?

That's not very common in healthy people. Certainly a thrush infection would irritate the pharynx, etc. It would be smart to find the source of these infections and prevent them first.

Any chance you are using steroid inhalers?

a.m.

Abi, oral thrush?

That's not very common in healthy people. Certainly a thrush infection would irritate the pharynx, etc. It would be smart to find the source of these infections and prevent them first.

Any chance you are using steroid inhalers?

a.m.

i've never been to a doctor for any of it. i've mostly looked at the symptoms and eating tons of yogurt cures my throat when it does this. i suppose it's possible it's somethign else, but it flares up when i am stressed and have a major hormone shift (has to be both at once or i'm fine). so, if i have an ovarian cyst and i'm lacking in sleep and working overtime... the throat itches and gets white bumps all over it, i sneeze non stop, and i dry up entirely - no matter how much water and juice i drink, my throat and mouth are parched... eating yogurt fixes it within two days. if i don't eat yogurt, it gets worse and worse with fevers, and can last a full month.

i don't take anything steroid or inhaler. i only take meds if i mix my own herbs. i have no insurance and i'm not poor enough to get anything good for free.

my gyn thought it was thrush, though, when i told her about it. i told her when i was on birth control pills, it flared up every time i was on the week of placebos and she said it was probably a reaction of some sort to the hormone fluctuation.

i usually drink a lot of thyme tea, too, when my throat does this. it helps, but it doesn't do much without the yogurt also being eaten. so it isn't the thyme that fixes it.

once i get enough money, i'll probably see an acupuncturist about it. i don't know any root causes for it at all. but i've grown to detest doctors over this problem, because the one i had before high school didn't even test anything, just gave me penicillin. ;)

then later, they just started saying it was in my head or that i was making it up or being a hypochondriac. so basically i've given up on the whole thing from a medical perspective.

although, if anyone has any ideas about this or has seen it before, i'd love to know about it!

abifae

Hmmm. Your description does sound like thrush, which is really a yeast infection (candida albicans). A wild fluctuation of hormones could be a possible cause.

Another low cost alternative may be "gentian violet" tincture, usually available in a very small bottle at the drug store for a few dollars. Nursing mothers use it for treating yeast infections of the nipples, and the babies' oral co-infection. Check with your pharmacist/ chemist for appropriateness.

Don't let your experience with one sloppy physician keep you from seeking proper medical care from an MD. And please, don't go to an acupunturist for a yeast infection. Science, please.

regards,

a.m.

Don't let your experience with one sloppy physician keep you from seeking proper medical care from an MD. And please, don't go to an acupunturist for a yeast infection. Science, please.

regards,

a.m.

it is mostly money stopping me. i can't afford a doctor's visit and meds, plus any followups.

besides, i like chinese medicine ;) if my infections are caused by an imbalance, getting it rebalanced is good prevention. of course, that takes money too, which i don't have any more for one kind of doctor than another. i think eastern and western medicine are both useful: western for treating the yeast itself, eastern for rebalancing my system.

in any case, i'll see about gentian violet.

abifae

Hi!

I dont know if this is way off subject - but have you taken acidophilus (in pill form) or any other PRO-biotics?

acidophilus has been very good to me. i only take it if i have a yeast infection downstairs or odd-ball digestive issues. It seems to get things fixed, fast.

sending healthy thoughts,

december

I dont know if this is way off subject - but have you taken acidophilus (in pill form) or any other PRO-biotics?

acidophilus has been very good to me. i only take it if i have a yeast infection downstairs or odd-ball digestive issues. It seems to get things fixed, fast.

i have and it did pretty well. i need to get some more. the store is pretty far away that sells good quality acidolpholus (sounds like a dinosaur, doesn't it??) and i have no car. so i tend to rely on yogurt and forget that i should get some acidophilus when i'm NOT sick and at the store. i'll have to remember next time!

that's why i eat the yogurt, though ;) yea brown cow! it's cream top yogurt. best yogurt i've ever had. now if only the insuing sinus infection were as easy to take care of. thrush gives me a sinus infection nearly half the time. sighs.

abifae

Gentian Violet, as AirMarshall suggested, is far more effective than any prescription for fighting yeast infections. I have seen it clear up "industrial strength" thrush in days, after prescription anti fungals did very little. It is quite messy though. You can dilute it and make a gargle for your throat, just plan on staying out of public or going goth for a few days.

Gentian Violet, as AirMarshall suggested, is far more effective than any prescription for fighting yeast infections. I have seen it clear up "industrial strength" thrush in days, after prescription anti fungals did very little. It is quite messy though. You can dilute it and make a gargle for your throat, just plan on staying out of public or going goth for a few days.

rofl. well, seeing as how my job is on register at a bakery/cafe... i will probably have to make sure that i won't be seen somehow. maybe a paper bag on my head??

;)

abifae

rofl. well, seeing as how my job is on register at a bakery/cafe... i will probably have to make sure that i won't be seen somehow. maybe a paper bag on my head??

;)

abifae

Better yet, surround yourself with blueberry and blackberry tarts, sprinkle some icing sugar on your nose and everyone will think you were just indulging yourself. :)

Better yet, surround yourself with blueberry and blackberry tarts, sprinkle some icing sugar on your nose and everyone will think you were just indulging yourself. :)

lol. that'd be a good seller ;) mmmm! these were so good i just hadta!

abifae

• 11 months later...
Guest N Dignant

it's snake oil in the worse sense I'm afraid.

IIRC, it can kill you and makes you turn blue. Not kidding. It literally makes you turn blue.

There are many more antibiotics that are neither penicilin or sulpha based.

This is nonsense.

There has never been a recorded death from a properly prepared silver colloid. The operative words being "properly prepared". The best product that I have found in ten years of regular silver prophylaxis is an elemental nanoparticle patented product that is being used in missionary medical practices all over the world. I have neither turned colors or died. In fact, I have not had need of a pharmaceutical antibiotic in that same period... for the simple reason that I no longer get sick.

Here is the summary from the Brigham Young University, Microbiology Department antimicrobial tests. (these were performed in vitro):

http://www.lifesilver.com/brigham.pdf

I would suggest that you read up a little about the safety of this clinically proven non-toxic product and its EPA approvals:

http://www.lifesilver.com/safety.htm

You might also want to look at the peer reviewed published scientific papers for this product. You might want to read the paper at this page, wherein Viridis BioPharma, of Mumbai, India, added this product, as an adjunct to 19 pharmaceutical antibiotics, which were currently ineffective for 7 of the most deadly resistant bacteria plagueing India. Suddenly they became effective again:

http://www.lifesilver.com/studies.htm

Finally, if you can wade through the scientific legalese, there is a wealth of information contained in the three US Patents that these products hold.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...p;RS=PN/7135195

Links to all of the patents here:

http://www.lifesilver.com/approvals.htm

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/alerts/silver/index.htm

Animal studies have shown that silver builds up in the tissues of the body. In humans, buildup of silver from colloidal silver can lead to a side effect called argyria. It causes a bluish-gray discoloration of the skin, other organs, deep tissues, nails, and gums. Argyria cannot be treated or reversed, and it is permanent. While it is not known how argyria occurs, it is thought that silver combines with protein, forming complexes that deposit in the skin and are processed by sunlight (as in traditional photography).6,7 Other side effects from using colloidal silver products may include neurologic problems (such as seizures), kidney damage, stomach distress, headaches, fatigue, and skin irritation. Colloidal silver may interfere with the body's absorption of the following drugs: penacillamine, quinolones, tetracyclines, and thyroxine.5

Guest erowidmusic

or maybe i'm not brewing it strong enough?

so i've heard of colloidal silver and i've just seen oil of oregano.

has anyone had any luck with either of those, or know much about either?

abifae

Silver does not make you turn blue. I have been taking it for years and just beat a nasty cold in 6 hours with it. I have used silver for just about any infection I get and it works very fast. However, the healing crisis is still tiring.

Silver does not make you turn blue. I have been taking it for years and just beat a nasty cold in 6 hours with it. I have used silver for just about any infection I get and it works very fast. However, the healing crisis is still tiring.

Welcome to reality - argyria is still caused by accumulation of silver in the body whether it has happened to you personally

or not. Besides, "colloidal silver" has a very low silver concentration AND you're not supposed to swallow it (ingestion

and inhalation are usually far better pathways into the body than absorption) so I'm not surprised that you haven't turned blue or died yet.

FWIW, the fact that a company can obtain a U.S. Patent is irrelevant to questions of efficacy or safety... not that widespread

use among missionaries is all that impressive.

Properly formulated and managed, some silver compounds are strongly antimicrobial - real (topical) medications prescribed

under the care of a real doctor, and often to people who are allergic to sulfas and penicillin derivatives. For that matter,

there are arsenic- and mercury- based medications still in use. That does NOT mean that colloidal arsenic or colloidal mercury would be good things to put in your mouth.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest silverman

Animal studies have shown that silver builds up in the tissues of the body. In humans, buildup of silver from colloidal silver can lead to a side effect called argyria. It causes a bluish-gray discoloration of the skin, other organs, deep tissues, nails, and gums. Argyria cannot be treated or reversed, and it is permanent. While it is not known how argyria occurs, it is thought that silver combines with protein, forming complexes that deposit in the skin and are processed by sunlight (as in traditional photography).6,7 Other side effects from using colloidal silver products may include neurologic problems (such as seizures), kidney damage, stomach distress, headaches, fatigue, and skin irritation. Colloidal silver may interfere with the body's absorption of the following drugs: penacillamine, quinolones, tetracyclines, and thyroxine.5

This is incorrect. It is known exactly how argyria occurs. It is an accumulation of large particles of silver salts which cannot be excreted via perspiration and they gather in the subcutaneous tissues.

It is also known that pure elemental silvers (NOT ionic) and in the under 10 nm particle size are 99+% passed from the body through the urinary tract within 48 hours of oral ingestion. Any residual traces remain as just that, traces, found in minute concentration in the hair.

The links that N Dignant posted above would best be read. Not all colloidal silvers are the same. In fact many really do deserve to be called snake oil. Then there are those made by dedicated researchers at advanced biotech companies which deserve serious investigation by those who wish to learn the truth.

If Silverman and N Dignant have valid points to make and want to be a part of this community, why don't they register instead of operating anonymously?

I trust VE's opinion and research. He's a wack-nut like us, and he wants to protect people here who are vulnerable to snake-oil salesmen. I'm glad Abi and others here have intelligence and a healthy level of skepticism.

olga

(who is pink, not blue)

Archived