What is the first sign...

i start to become more and more reckless. i take bigger and bigger risks. my hypomania to mania is zero to one hundred in one second though. if i don't catch it right away, there's no stopping it, so this is a good question for me.

i party too much, drink too much, have reckless sex, and stop going to work. i generally think i'm queen of the world, and it only gets worse as the mania progresses. at first it is a little anxiety. then it becomes this full blown thing.

Hubby gets racing thoughts, can't sleep, and gets a severe case of "Diarrhea of the Mouth".

I also get the feeling that he is talking AT me and not TO me...you know what I mean? Like if I wasn't there, he would have the same conversation with the cat, because he really doesn't want or need anyone elses input....its all about what is going on in his head.

the racing thoughts the lack of little or no sleep and not missing it ... the losin track of time ended up places ya dont know how ya got there ...

things like this doin off the wall things havin no control of your actions talkin and unable to stop talkin

just some signs to look for .. other then that take a journal talk with ya doc !

I think that this has been covered already, but in my case its racing thoughts (usually bad ones) and I get this feeling like I have to totally speed up. Like my body and my mind have to be going the same speed or something is very wrong.

I get more reckless with my driving as well. And I spend way more money. Increased sex drive is usually another indication.

Maybe a mood/thought/actions/ journal to help catch early hypomania/mania?

Being incredibly irritable, angry at everything and nothing--perhaps an anxiety atrtack (Starrting with the famous hand-wringing), tense, crying,brain feeling totally empty and too full at the same time. Very little appetite, and doing very stupid things. Things that are illogical, and cost me money, trust, and/or friendships.

And here it comes now, as a matter of fact--

Buttons pushed, prepare for liftoff, or deep, long fall into the dark--or both--

Trying to be china

1. Me pulling out of depression (I go in reverse order, generally I fall into a nasty depression and get pulled up into euphoric or dysphoric hypomania.)

2. Sleep requirements decreasing

3. And a strange non-psychological sign --- I feel that there's something trying to physically rocket me forward, pushing out from underneath my diaphragm. It's strange. Almost like a knot in the stomach, but not painful or distressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I was really interested in the grinding teeth, I never realised until now that I did that more when I was hypomanic. Although, I do it almost all the time, so its not that useful as a sign.

3. And a strange non-psychological sign --- I feel that there's something trying to physically rocket me forward, pushing out from underneath my diaphragm. It's strange. Almost like a knot in the stomach, but not painful or distressing.

I feel a bit like that... I get this weird feeling of energy all over. I usually say it feels like I'm glowing. Thats when I know for sure I'm hypomanic.

Hel

Uh oh! I've been experiencing some of these things and I recently got put on 20 mg of Prozac as Ad's tend to make me manic-the yucky dysphoric kind-and def. diarhea of the mouth(actually kind of funny cause I'm a teacher of middle school kids and they don't notice it cause they all have diarrhea of the mouth!), I'm wondering if my depression is just gone or am I going HYPO again? Sorry for the hi-jack.

mel1--

I prefer to call it "reverse peristalsis" (which is the actual technical term for what your esophagus does during the act).

EDIT: I believe we weren't talking about the same thing. But if you feel like upchucking, well, then heave-ho! ;)

faith--

I wish my hypomania was heralded by compulsive cleaning. And I wish I was hypomanic now, too. My dad's visiting in a week for my surgery, and he's going to have a fit over the condition of my apartment.

The very first sign is a feeling I'm much taller than I actually am. Then it escalates from there.

Interestingly, I often feel the opposite in a depressive episode... shorter than I really am. Though that by no means is my first symptom of it.

Sometimes this is quickly disproved - As seen when I stood straight up while getting out of my window seat in a 727 and then proceeded to sustain a minor head injury.

Feeling taller and grinding teeth? Yup, sounds familiar.

I also sleep badly - can't sleep at night, however, I don't wake early, I just make up for the sleep I didn't get at night in the morning.

I also notice that I become more outspoken and often very flirtatious to the point where I really have to concentrate to stop myself from saying anything and everything that comes into my head.

My speech quickens and I babble on, including every last detail of whatever it was I was talking about. This also happens when I type and I suspect it's happening to me right now as this sentence seems to be getting longer and longer for no readily apparent or good reason.

Probably the very first signs are rushes of euphoria and wide eyed staring.

I feel a vague but constant elation, and it's been going on now for about three days. I think I'm hypomanic at the moment as I'm having all the classic signs, however, I still get brief downswings within this and mixed feelings. I wouldn't say I was depressed though really at all.

Archived