Ambien - generic?

anyone know when ambien is scheduled to become a generic?. pdoc prescribed this because i wanted to give another go (took it about 2 years ago) and when i got it filled, with my insurance it had the highest co-pay (the same as ambien cr). so i told them to keep it.

[edited title, a.m.]

I have no clue. moderators? any word? I yahooed generic ambien and some pharmacuetical sales sites came up but I'm not sure if you should trust them. In fact I'd say no. Did you already ask your doc? Maybe I'll call mine and pm you. Blue cross does that crap with me too for a months worth of ambien cr I'm paying 90 bucks. buttheads.

lilie

Patent protection for Ambien, Zolpidem Tartrate, expires in October 2006.

Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, received tentative approval from the U.S. FDA to market a generic version in 2005. Final approval is expected in October following expiration.

Caraco: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...&highlight=

Yay for cheap sleep!

a.m.

This is soon, hurray! i don't have ambien yet, but with topamax in my med schedule and not being sure if it is going to stay or go and with all the sleep problems it gives me, it is possible we could add ambien. i just love ambien (maybe why i don't already have it...!!!).

going generic soon will be great on my copays, should he decide to RX ambien. great!

A.M way cool...viva la Ambien ...I pay 50 dollars a month for it and have taken it for wow YEARS so this is awesome news. May I say to all call your phamacy because when Neurontin came out generic my Walgreens dragged ass getting the generic so ......call and find a store that has it

THANKS THIS IS the BEST news I have had all my dismal day

Patent protection for Ambien, Zolpidem Tartrate, expires in October 2006.

Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, received tentative approval from the U.S. FDA to market a generic version in 2005. Final approval is expected in October following expiration.

Caraco: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...&highlight=

Yay for cheap sleep!

a.m.

Firedancer,

There is no time table. It will happen when it happens.

It depends on things like whether the FDA makes any changes in requirements for the final approval, how ready the manufacturer is to go into production, whether they took a risk by pre-producing stock, etc.

last year Xanax went generic and December Brigitte was able to get it 6 weeks later. It took about 5 or 6 months for it to get to my pharmacy. Marketing plays in there too.

At least we know it is coming!

a.m.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Guest_bitchinbenzobabe_*

I got it....I got the generic today.. cost $ 11.20 US for 30 tabs....10 mg

Viva la Ambein

I got it....I got the generic today.. cost $ 11.20 US for 30 tabs....10 mg

Viva la Ambein

That was me lol.....OK so this is beyond cool cause my CO PAY was 50.00 US .....THIS was just too cool...Its crazy how they were charging over 160.00 for this then all these companies get to do the generic and look how damn cheap it is and thats WITH a profit

• 2 weeks later...

To reiterate from a thread earlier in the week... YES ambien is now available in generic. It looks like the FDA held off approval since Oct 2006 in order to approve 15 !!!! manufacturers at once. Now that's competition.

yay!

a.m.

I didn't realise you guys hadn't been able to get the generic substitute there. I know of 3 generics that have been available to the public for several years here. Odd.

Archived