OCD Patterns

Regardless of whether I'm medicated or unmedicated - my OCD seems to be somewhat cyclical. What I mean is, I usually have a few good days (very little obsessing) followed by a day or two of bad days (much obsessing/anxiety/panic/depression/etc). This pattern repeats over and over. The only thing SSRIs seem to do is make the bad days not so bad, and maybe a little fewer and farther between.

It's just really frustrating, because while I appreciate the benefits medication and CBT provide - I still can't seem to "break the cycle", so to speak.

Does anyone notice something like this with their OCD?

Mine also. Does it depends on your mood, how anxious you are, etc ?

My rituals seemed to almost completely disappear soon after taking Zyprexa. I had these strong beliefs that if I didn't touch something however many times, so&so would die. After starting the Zyprexa, those beliefs soon changed and somehow the rituals ended up decreasing greatly. There are still things, but they're definitely not as upsetting/frustrating

Mine also. Does it depends on your mood, how anxious you are, etc ?

Hmm - I have seen quite a few people mention that they obsess more when their mood is low/anxiety is high. For it seems my mood and anxiety level are determined by the extent to which I am obsessing. Sort of like a chicken or the egg thing I guess. I could be going along merrily, be quite happy, not very anxious - when out of the blue - HUGE SPIKE - lots of obsessing ensues -and mood suddenly plummets and anxiety skyrockets.

I don't know I guess it seems sort of backward compared to other OCD sufferers.

It seems quite a few people are helped more by AAPs though, so that's something I should keep in mind.

FWIW, a lot of people who are both bipolar and OCD find that their OCD changes with their bipolar. You might want to keep that in mind if bipolar is ever a consideration.

Well, bipolar has been a consideration - but I never quite fit under that label.

I wonder though, if a mood stabilizer might cut out the cyclical nature of OCD "flares" - even in the absence of major mood symptoms.

• 5 months later...

Archived