cymbalta - new choice and terrified of it

Guest montyface

Guest montyface

Hi,

Does anyone know if the suicide stuff about cymbalta is true? Also about eye retina's detaching?

How about withdrawal effects? Is this like effexor where you might be on it forever?

Any other things to know?

the doctor tells me it has been out in europe for over 10 years and that it is safe and effective.

I'm on it, and the only problem I have had is my head and face sweating. This happens when it's hot, btw. Not just out of the blue. I think it is supposed to be hard to get off of, just like Effexor. When I have run out, I get brain zaps.

The good news is that it seems to be a pretty good antidepressant. In fact, the first few days, I thought it was a miracle, but then its effectiveness slacked off some.

Guest montyface

Hi,

Good to know, so it is OK. The suicide stuff scares me silly because of the story where the one girl in the med trial was supposedly just doing it for money and never had issues, then a few days after going off of it she was gone.

But I also take klonopin as well for anxiety, my 2 week stint on valium is over as my new pdoc tells me klonopin is a cleaner med, washes out of your system better and lasts longer.

I'm on it, and the only problem I have had is my head and face sweating. This happens when it's hot, btw. Not just out of the blue. I think it is supposed to be hard to get off of, just like Effexor. When I have run out, I get brain zaps.

The good news is that it seems to be a pretty good antidepressant. In fact, the first few days, I thought it was a miracle, but then its effectiveness slacked off some.

just watch yourself on it, but i wouldn't put it at more risk for sudden suicidality than any other psych drug.

if you've had problems with drugs hitting your norepinephrine receptors before, than it might be cause for concern. it can make you irritable and anxious, if you are sensitive to NE action.

my experience: noticed nothing for two weeks. . . then felt a little, very subtle change. went up to 60 mg, was tired ALL the time (which i guess is unusual for cymbalta) and a week or so later, just becoming really testy and irritable, and experiencing a very unpleasant type of anxiety that i hadn't felt for some time, so i then went off it. it seemed like it would do somethign for my depression every other day or so, but between the sleepiness and the irritablity it was just not worth it. but [standard CB disclaimer] ymmv blah blah blah

They all have those warnings. They are largely there for bullshit political reasons. The church of Scientology pays millions and millions of dollars to get them there because the only way to cure mental illness is to deal with the million year old aliens that live in your head and the only way to deal with the aliens is to give all your money to the church of Scientology.

Cymbalta can be pretty rough at first but it gets better after that. The first couple weeks at 60 mgs it felt like it was eating my brain with a chainsaw but it got much better after that.

Guest montyface

;) so does it make sense to use this for anxiety and ocd? Then possibly might have add. I am wondering where this choice came from. The ssri's just made me tired and lazy so why not just give me something to counter those issues?

What about taking this with add meds if I need them?

They all have those warnings. They are largely there for bullshit political reasons. The church of Scientology pays millions and millions of dollars to get them there because the only way to cure mental illness is to deal with the million year old aliens that live in your head and the only way to deal with the aliens is to give all your money to the church of Scientology.

Cymbalta can be pretty rough at first but it gets better after that. The first couple weeks at 60 mgs it felt like it was eating my brain with a chainsaw but it got much better after that.

Guest montyface

I think that it probably appears from my sort of profile on this site I don't stick with meds. But that isn't the case actually as I have seen a few through.

I stayed on prozac for over a year and the anxiety/ocd type stuff was a bit better but the tired, lethargy and not motivated to do anything feelings sucked.

Then I tried celexa for a few months and it did nothing.

Next tried paxil and had heart issues due to missed or premature beats,

anafranil - way to many side effects

serzone - many months and didn't work

zoloft a few months and the dr. wanted me to stop because of tiredness.

lexapro - dr was going away after I was on it for about 4 weeks and I was very tired so he said to stop until he got back in a month or so.

So as you can see my problem with taking cymbalta is related to the fact I am tired of doctors that either don't care or just don't know how to fix the tired and shit feeling of the ssri's by adding something, and now to start all over on another med that might not make sense for ocd/anxiety and possibly add sucks.

;) so does it make sense to use this for anxiety and ocd? Then possibly might have add. I am wondering where this choice came from. The ssri's just made me tired and lazy so why not just give me something to counter those issues?

What about taking this with add meds if I need them?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the suicide stuff about cymbalta is true?

Yes.

There's a standard danger posed by EVERY antidepressant: when you are fully in the pit of depression you

don't have the energy or motivation to off yourself. If you feel pretty good, chances are you wouldn't

even think of it. But catch someone right on the ledge of "not really OK at all, and able to do something

about it" ... that's the danger zone.

Also about eye retina's detaching?

You might want to research that one - it probably requires high blood pressure and a family history

of retinal detachment. Possible - it raises NA - but not likely.

Any other things to know?

The doctor tells me it has been out in europe for over 10 years and that it is safe and effective.

1. Starting at 60 mg Cymbalta the day after cold-turkeying Wellbutrin XR is a Bad Idea. There are

some liver enzyme reasons for this that are obvious in retrospect.

2. It can reduce some of the kinds of chronic pain that laugh at standard narcotics.

3. You know the scene in Pleasantville where the kids are driving out to Lovers' Lane, and the

film goes from black-and-white to a beautiful spring day while Etta James sings "At last" - because

the colors were really there except no one would/could see them before? That's Cymbalta.

Guest montyface

cool, thx all. I see the pdoc tomorrow to just finish up with my questions and then I start it I guess.

One thing that pisses me off is he told me it was out in the UK for like 10 years before coming here, unless I am missing something then that is sort of a lie becuase it appears it was approved over there after the US.

Other then that I will just test it out.

2. It can reduce some of the kinds of chronic pain that laugh at standard narcotics.

It could cause you to be a bit tolerant to Novocaine. Please remember to tell your dentist this before he starts drilling. This is the voice of experience.

Montyface:

I can address the retinal detachment issue. There was one person in the Eli Lily trial who had a detached retina during the Cymbalta trial. I checked into this pretty closely because I had tears in my retina about 8 weeks after starting on Cymbalta.

There was NO indication in the trial, or in any of the follow-up stuff I read that indicated that Cymbalta had anything to do with retinal problems. I also ran it by two ophthalmologists before I took it, because I have other eye issues. Just because something happened during a drug trial does not mean that the drug caused that problem.

You should NOT start out at 60 mg---most docs start you at 30 and go up from there.

It is a wonderful AD and I felt like a new person on it for quite a while. I hope it works for you.

olga

PS VE, I wish I had known that fact about Novacaine when I was on Cymbalta! I remember a distinctly uncomfortable hour in the dentist's chair when he kept giving me shot after shot because I could still feel pain in the tooth he was working on. Hmmm...

Cymbalta was the drug that finally pulled me out of a two year episode of severe depression. I had run the gamut of SSRIs and at least a couple of mood stabilizers to no avail.

I also had a problem with severe rumination and anxiety - it kicked that right in the ass, too.

Like VE mentions, the start-up is a little rough (nausea and a feeling of disconnectedness were the worth problems I experienced), but it only lasts for a few days... a week tops. I started out at 30 mg and went up to 60 mg a few weeks later (increasing the dose was no problem).

I was on it for a year and the discontinuation was mildly uncomfortable, but nothing like I've heard Effexor is.

As for being able to take it with ADD meds... shouldn't be a problem, except probably Strattera.

Elvis,

I certainly agree about the Scientology stuff; and that Big Pharma often tries to "cover their a**" by putting a lotta scary warnings on drug monographs. However, in the case of Cymbalta you really do need to take the retinal detachment warning seriously - I can tell you this from firsthand experience - see this discussion:

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.ph...c=11148&hl=

I also agree with you that Cymbalta is actually a pretty good anti-depressant for some people. Indeed, I myself continued to take it for about 18 months with no ill effects after my wife experienced her detached retina. I really had no choice if I wanted to stay alive: at that point it was pretty much the only thing I had found that worked for me (I have since switched to the new Emsam transdermal patch and it's been nothing short of a miracle for me).

If you're taking Cymbalta, just make sure to be aware of any vision anomalies - flashes, floaters, etc. It might also be a good idea to have an eye exam by a qualified opthalmologist to check for any existing retina conditions. I suspect my wife may have had a congenital or pre-existing weakness in one retina, and the Cymbalta probably put it over the edge into detachment.

I don't think I'm being alarmist about this - vision loss from from a detached retina is generally non-reversible. My wife currently has about 10-20% visual acuity in that eye. Cliche' alert: better safe than sorry...

best,

JohnB

Monty,

I'm with the "take it already", I was in a deep suicidal state and cymbalta pulled me up and out, that's the good news. I am lucky to be drug resistant and so after only 6 months I experienced what we call 'round these parts "poop out". It took an ordeal, switching pdoc and such (is anything ever fucking easy when you're losing your goddamn mind???? ;) ) I tend to be a drama queen (cough) but I had to finally say to those rat bastards that my blood was gonna be on their hands if I kilt myself. I went 4 fucking months till they finally listened. My drama. Meh.

Withdrawal was not even discernable for me because I went to my go to drug, Effexor, which I have not taken it 5 or 6 years--long story--I'm still titrating, I'm at 150, probably headed for 225 where I was before.

Withdrawal syndrome for me has been a none issue because I go off these meds veeeeeery slowly. And am usually starting the next wonder drug before I'm fully off the last one. So, as Libby said, "GO ON IT!"

FWIW. S9

• 2 weeks later...

I was onCymbalta for about a year. I loved it at 60mg butthen still had anxiety issues so we bumped to 90mg. That was good for a while butthen seemed to level out. I decied to stop taking Cymbala, WB and klonopin cold turkey and I had no withdrawal effects.

Archived