Introduction

Hello-

I just found this board and can tell it's going to be helpful, and hopefully I can help others too!

I have been on 10 mg of Lexapro since May of this year. I have had anxiety and panic attacks for about 10 years. This year I was having so many panic attacks and it led to panic disorder with agoraphobia. I have 2 small children and not being able to function outside of my house was not working, so I went to the doctor and was put on Lexapro. Lex has literally turned my life around.

I still think about my own mortality and have occasional moments of worrying that I am going to die from whatever disease/problem and leave my kids motherless and then I get sad. Not sure what to do about all that...

My doctor recommends Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, but I haven't made the call yet. Has anyone on here been in C/B Therapy and was it useful? Did it work? How long did it take or does it just depend on the person? Thanks!

SMC- SillyMoCat

Hi SMC

Welcome to crazyboards. You are in good company here. I have yet to try CBT so I can't help you out on that one. Try to keep in mind that these thoughts are common to people with anxiety and that in reality you are not likely to die any time soon even if it feels like the opposite. Some people with OCD have thoughts about harm towards themselves or their children, but they are intrusive thoughts and people most often never follow through on the impulse. I have had lots of anxiety in my life and am greatful for the meds that help. Keep posting and sharing how you feel

Lachesis

Welcome to the boards ;)

As to your question, my husband has tried several therapies over the years. The only one that seemed to show any results, and the only one he stuck with was CBT. I was asked by the tdoc to sit in on a few sessions and I found it to be very logical and practicle.

Hubby was very resistant to doing some of the things the therapist suggested, but that was because he was in the midst of a terrible depression. When he was finally able to apply some of the therapy ideas, he did see improvement.

It might not be a fit for everyone, but it did help my husband.

Thanks Everyone!

I have had those intrusive thoughts! They SUCK! I can tell that they have lessened since starting Lexapro, as well as my frustrations and anger! I remember for the past 5 or so years I would get so frustrated that I would either hit myself on my thigh with my fist or slap or claw at my face...oh and pulled my hair too. Ugh!

As far as the CBT- I haven't read any books, but have looked a little bit on the internet and I have noticed that I tell myself, when in public and start to feel weird or THINK about how it used to feel, that I have never passed out in my life, so why would I NOW?? That has been doing the trick...is that the kind of thing that CBT teaches?

SMC

As far as the CBT- I haven't read any books, but have looked a little bit on the internet and I have noticed that I tell myself, when in public and start to feel weird or THINK about how it used to feel, that I have never passed out in my life, so why would I NOW?? That has been doing the trick...is that the kind of thing that CBT teaches?

"Cognitive Behavioral Therapy emphasizes the role of thinking in how we feel and what we do. CBT stresses the fact that thoughts, rather than people or events, cause our negative feelings. CBT is a structured collaboration between therapist and client and often calls for homework assignments. Brief and time-limited, CBT includes rational emotive behavior therapy and cognitive therapy."

~Psychology Today

Here are some websites on CBT that might help:

The American Institute for Cognitive Therapy

National Association of Cognitive Behavioral Therapists

Wikipedia - Cognitive therapy

The Anxiety Network International

About.com: An Introduction to Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy

Look into it. You might very well benefit from it. Wouldn't it be nice to try and change the way you are feeling now and learn to deal with all the thoughts that run through your mind? Think about it...

• 1 month later...

Archived