SSDI- Have You Heard Of THIS?

I wanted to know exactly what was going on, so i marched across the street to the SSA office. they told me that they are giving me 6 months of SSDI @ 519 a month (not enough to pay the rent) with the ability to earn 800 additional dollars until they decide if i'm really eligible. HUH??

I just got a letter telling me they have determined that i'm disabled and am going to receive payments! now i'm being told that it will be contingent upon them deciding within 6 months that i'm really nuts! i've never heard of this!

;)

i'd still be able to collect medicaid, foodstamps, and get low-cost housing should i decide to move (i'd stay here, my rent is 525).

i'm now tempted to ask my grandparents if they are willing to subsidize the periods when i'm doing my under the table work but not making enough to cover everything and just say no to the temporary SSDI. what kind of crap is that? and the lower amount than what it says on my statement that i'd collect if i had to collect social security? it says like 900! that would be enough for me to pay my rent and bills. this money they want to give me isn't enough to pay my rent and i'd have to work to make at least 800 anyway, probably in some stupid job that would stress me out as much as my current job.

i'm lost in the world! HELP!!!

I wanted to know exactly what was going on, so i marched across the street to the SSA office. they told me that they are giving me 6 months of SSDI @ 519 a month (not enough to pay the rent) with the ability to earn 800 additional dollars until they decide if i'm really eligible. HUH??

On the one hand, there are ALWAYS people running around trying to game the system for free money. and

pretending to be insane sounds like a reasonable way to do it. On the other, they'd look just as foolish (as

if they had been conned) if they determined you to really be sane and functional, right before you climbed

a building with a high-powered rifle, ammo, and a box of Twinkies...

So it sounds like they are leaning toward "Loon's loony", but want to make sure it's for real before committing to a higher amount on a longer term.

My suggestion would be to keep the job you're at until you really do see money coming in from the

Treasury, and then cut back your work to $800 a month. If you could have and afford workplace

health benefits, that might save you and the govt. some cash while reducing your employer's training

costs by avoiding turnover.

I wanted to know exactly what was going on, so i marched across the street to the SSA office. they told me that they are giving me 6 months of SSDI @ 519 a month (not enough to pay the rent) with the ability to earn 800 additional dollars until they decide if i'm really eligible. HUH??...

i'm now tempted to ask my grandparents if they are willing to subsidize the periods when i'm doing my under the table work but not making enough to cover everything and just say no to the temporary SSDI. what kind of crap is that? and the lower amount than what it says on my statement that i'd collect if i had to collect social security? it says like 900! that would be enough for me to pay my rent and bills. this money they want to give me isn't enough to pay my rent and i'd have to work to make at least 800 anyway, probably in some stupid job that would stress me out as much as my current job.

Here's the deal:

If you have any extra money coming in or people helping you out with things in a signifigant way, you really should report it. You could get by without reporting it, but if you are found out, you could get your benefits cut by quite a bit. Like 100$ quite a bit.

Have you looked at any other programs though? You applied for SSI also, yes? How long do you think you are going to need to collect SSDI? Are you going to try to apply for medicare also?

When all else fails, look through the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance

There is a lot to go through. Some of it is work assistance, housing assistance or cash disability payments- though you may have to reimburse them depending on how you qualify. Others provide for varying benefits.

It really depends.

I do suggest getting in touch with vocational rehabilitation. They can help you find a job that won't stress you out or be too many hours if you are looking for one. They also tend to help with other life stuff- SSI/SSDI, housing, etc.

Archived