My husband had his last drink (he drank heavily) on Monday night. It's Thursday now and he has the shakes. He didn't drink during the day, just in the evenings. Does he need medical help? I know you are not doctors, but I am hoping for others who have gone through withdrawal to post their experiences. Thanks.

As I recall from what i read last week, the withdrawal symptoms themselves are not necessarily dangerous, though if he has seizures or the DT's (hallucinations) I think a trip to the ER is appropriate. More a matter of how uncomfortable or disconcerting the symptoms are to him.

I would strongly urge him to see your family doctor, and tell him of the alcohol problem and his desire to kick it. The doc will probably do a few checks like liver & kidney function, and may prescribe some temporary meds to ease the transition. The doc can check the shake symptoms and give your husband advice and encouragement on getting clean.

Wishing your husband the best,

a.m.

meetings might help, definately not for everyone, hehe

i think medically theres no need to get attention at this point besides monitoring heart rate and blood pressure. seizures mostly occur during the first 48 hours and klonopin prevents those as well. a trip to the primary care physician couldnt hurt but otherwise its time for your husband to get into the early phase of recovery (and hopefully he has a pdoc and therapist for that)

wifezilla Posted Today, 06:14 PM

I also read something about vitamin B helping with some of the symptoms...but only if they are mild.

When I did my detox they pumped me full of Benerva (vitamin B ). Librium is good for the initial tremors and withdrawal symptoms but your hubby is probably past the stage where he needs it. My GP once prescribed a short course of Librium for me when I detoxed myself. In fact I have detoxed myself many times over. I used to get dreadful palpitations. ;)

Good luck and keep us updated

Sending you lots of good clean and sober vibes

Blackbird x

He's over the physical withdrawal symptoms and has no desire to drink right now. However, he wants to come to a place sometime in the future where he drinks normally. I have severe doubts that he will be able to, but I can't tell him what to do. I do know that I won't tolerate him going back to drinking himself to the point of passing out every night again. If that happens, I will drive him to an AA meeting myself!

How many years has your husband been drinking heavily? That's an important part of understanding where his shakes are coming from and what might be happening. Maybe you should call the advice nurse at your hospital. Him wanting to "drink normally" is a goal of a lot of alcoholics unfortunately it just can't happen. You may have to strap his butt in and drive him to his meetings.

lilie

Archived