Ambien -- dangerous?

HELP ME PLEASE!

My boyfriend is suffering from depression and has been talking about suicide recently. Aside from antidepressants, a doctor has been prescribing Ambien to help him sleep (symptom of the depression). He doesn`t take the Ambien every night, though, so he has quite a few stockpiled. Isn

If you can overdose on something, the chances it can kill you are pretty high.

If you are worried, it is worth risking an argument. But that doesn't mean it has to escalate into one. You don't sound very familiar with the medications he takes; it would probably be helpful if you both talked about what is going on with his health in general- does he like his doctor, meds, etc?

If you are a couple, you should be supportive and at least a sounding board for him to be able to develop the tools to recognize when he is beginning to have trouble. A lot of people don't take Ambien every night, but something in your brain is hitting the alarm. Whatever is going on, you should approach someone you care about if they are discussing suicidal ideation. Suck it up and talk to him about this stuff. It will only get harder every time you don't and random people on the internet are NOT the people to answer these questions. Maybe he is. Maybe he's talking about suicide for a reason. You know he's depressed as shit now, right? I would say that's an invitation, whether he will admit it or not.

Ambien is fairly safe, however overdoses have resulted in deep sleep or coma. People have recovered from overdoses up to 40 times the maximum dose (40 10mg tabs or 80 5mg tabs).

The biggest danger is that Ambien depresses the Central Nervous System and combining it with other drugs that also depress the CNS, or alcohol, can result in death from suffocation.

Rather than hide medications, which is well intentioned but avoids addressing the real problem, I think it would be better to talk out your concerns with your friend. If that is unsuccessful, and you are afraid of an imminent attempt, you can call your friends doctor to relay to concerns. The doctor cannot discuss the case with you, but can listen to what you have to say. If at any time you find your friend in an altered state and unresponsive, call 911.

Good luck,

a.m.

i think ambien is particularly dangerous in worsening alcohol poisoning and alcohol overdose, but overdose from ambien alone is nearly impossible if we're talking about just 1 months worth of ambien or so, but it is still harmful.

what i said about alcohol also applies to other medications the person is taking. enhanced CNS depression from ambien and other CNS depressants could cause death as well. here we're talking anticonvulsants and antipsychotic medications, and old-school antidepressants.

(old-school antidepressants = TCAs, antipsychotics = haldol, melleril, some of the newer ones)

i'm sure that there is x amount that will do you in. what that dosage is, i can't tell you, there are tons of different variables involved. i can tell you though, my 140 pound frame survived 28 10 mg. pills during one particularly bad episode. i slept for about two days straight, but i'm still here. i'd talk with him about it and see if ya'll can figure out the root cause. be supportive, but i wouldn't rule out skimming some of the pills off the top.

i'm sure that there is x amount that will do you in. what that dosage is, i can't tell you, there are tons of different variables involved. i can tell you though, my 140 pound frame survived 28 10 mg. pills during one particularly bad episode. i slept for about two days straight, but i'm still here. i'd talk with him about it and see if ya'll can figure out the root cause. be supportive, but i wouldn't rule out skimming some of the pills off the top.

Bobmysterious, thanks for your response. Were there any other adverse health effects to your overdose, or you literally just slept for a couple of days?

aside from murky congnition for the next few days, the long nap was the extent of it. maybe i've damaged myself in some other ways internally, but i can't confirm or deny that. before i passed out my breathing was surpressed, but i didn't care at that point. i do believe,however, that if i had taken more than one month's supply i wouldn't be posting this message today.

Archived