SSDI- The Straigh Story From SSA- so relieved!

My tdoc and i had to talk to 3 different SSA workers to find out that it is only that my case was chosen at random to go through a quality control process in chicago and i am actually going to collect my SSDI benefits. WHEEW!!! that first guy had me scared out of my wits! we don't know what he was talking about, unless he was talking about what is called a 'trial work period' where in the beginning you are allowed to work more. we don't know what he was talking about.

at any rate, they did look up my case, and it is in chicago being looked at for quality control, and they have my account and routing numbers to put my money in my account as soon as it gets back here.

i'm so relieved you wouldn't know!

I believe that 7 out of 10 claims that are "approved" are selected (at random) to go through the quality control process. This takes up to a month. But usually, the quality control team does not reverse the decision.

I am happy to hear that your claim was approved!

Yes, there is the trial work period. Information about the "trial work period" as well as working part-time and such, while continuing to receive benefits, can be found at the following web site:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/eng/main.htm

Of course, in 2007, be sure to check out the updated 2007 web site. The SSA's "Red Book" is updated every year.

If you do ANY work in ANY job, even if it's earning as little as $1, including self-employment, be sure to report it within 10 days to the SSA! Be sure to report it in writing! This needs to reported PROMPTLY! There are severe penalties if they find out that you failed to report earned income.

If you receive ANY amount of SSI, you need to report ANY income, earned or unearned, and PROMPTLY! Again, there are penalties if they find out that you fail to report earned or unearned income.

Thanks for the info Bryan! I'm just so stunned that it took a few months for them to approve me when it normally takes years. i was working because i wasn't expecting them to approve me so soon!

do i need to report income made in september since before i received my notification?

loon

are the people who help out with that the vocational rehabilitation services? i'd like to get a job where the employer is specifically asking for ssdi employees, and it seems that department would have a handle on it. i don't know where to start in finding a job that doesn't pay anything.

also, since my case was chosen at random for quality control and is now in chicago, ohio is giving me presumptive ssi payments while chicago is doing their check on ohio's work because it is rare that cases get overturned. i'm not clear, and i think i need to check with SSA over this, on whether or not i'm allowed to work during this period where they're doing their checking. one of the ssa people said no, but they keep telling me things that contradict the other (or only make sense when the entire picture is known, and they don't tell me the entire story when i ask), i'm not sure what to think. i think i've made more than the maximum for september already from that job i had to quit, and could probably work in october if i can work.

does anyone know, or am i just rambling and not making any sense (i learned that from SSA)?

loon

are the people who help out with that the vocational rehabilitation services? i'd like to get a job where the employer is specifically asking for ssdi employees, and it seems that department would have a handle on it. i don't know where to start in finding a job that doesn't pay anything.

There is a maximum you can make a month while on SSDI, $600 something dollars I think. So you would want to find a part-time job with few enough hours to be under the limit each month.

To find the latest, most updated info for the most current year, visit the following web site:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/work/

The best source is the most current year's edition of the SSA's "Red Book". This is available online at:

http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/ (This has the 2006 version).

I suggest that you request a FREE paper copy of the "2006 Red Book" in writing.

Send a written request to (address the envelope to):

OFFICE OF SUPPLY & WAREHOUSE MANAGEMENT

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION

239 SUPPLY BUILDING

6301 SECURITY BLVD

BALTIMORE MD 21235-6301

No shipments will be made to PO Boxes.

Shipments will arrive in about one week.

Sometime in 2007, when you see the 2007 "Red Book" on the aforementioned web site, you can write the above address and request, in writing, a paper copy of the "2007 Red Book".

Of course, you could always just read it online. However, the paper copy is always nice to "thumb through."

The "Red Book" contains information on income limits while receiving both SSDI and SSI, what incomes level and eligibility requirements have to be maintained to continue Medicaid/Medi-Cal, the "Ticket to Work" Program, the SSDI "trial work period, how Medicare (which comes with SSDI) can continue in some circumstances if you return to work full time (IF they review your case and determine that your DISABLING CONDITION has not improved!----such as an amputated limb that hasn't grown back?? But they don't specify that this applies to amputated limbs or what conditions to which this would apply!)

Hope this information is of some help, or at least of some idea of where to go for help.

I have been following Loon's travels with her SS claim and I want to thank you Bryan with all your good info. You have been helpful to me as I wait now 2 years for my hearing. I hope to write back with good news any day. (Didn't mean to hijack the thread.)

Good luck Loon in all your endeavors.

Sondra

Hi Loon-A-Tik---

Just want to remind you to be diligent about reporting your income to the SSA. If I were you, I would report it in writing, with a letter to your local SSA office.

Again, I would suggest sending a one-page letter (explaining your employment), "certified mail, return receipt requested". Be sure the letter is sent no later than 10 days after the end of September for income received in September. Again, type or write the number corresponding to the "Certified Mail" receipt on the page of the letter. Also, attach a photocopy of all proof of your income (your pay check and pay stubs), and write "VOID" on the photocopy of your paycheck. On each photocopied page, write "sent via certified mail, return receipt requested on (fill in date), # (Fill in number)". Be sure to include your name and SSN on your one-page letter as well as a description of your income for what month and what you are enclosing. Sign and date your letter. Make a PHOTOCOPY of your signed letter and anything else your are enclosing. Paperclip your attachments. Keep a copy of your photocopies, as well as the certified mail receipt. When you get your "return receipt" in the mail, keep the return receipt with your records.

The purpose of doing/keeping the whole "Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested" with all the numbers on each piece of correspondence is that this way, if the SSA claims that they never received your report of income and later tries to penalize you, you have a strong piece of evidence that you attempted to report your claim in a timely manner. Within 2 months, you should hear back from the SSA. If you do not, you need to make phone calls to the local SSA office.

----------------------------------------------------------------

i made money in september before i was told to quit my job (i was making too much money) by SSA. i now have the pay stub for it. should i also send the letter saying i am no longer employed along with my pay stub? do they need bank statements too?

it seems like they want my newborn for a few hundred lousy dollars. but hey, if i can't work then what else do i have in life to do besides make them photocopies and walk to teh post office? i'm going to buy one of those little machines that prints/copies/scans/faxes (i have one but i broke it) just to avoid constant trips to the Public Kinkos (our community library).

I'm not on SSDI yet, but is this reporting standard procedure for every month for all income made in addition to SSDI? That sounds like a lot of work. Or is this just for her trial period?

The reporting requirement is standard procedure for EVERY MONTH for all income in addition to SSDI.

Okay, well let me rephrase that. There is no requirement that the reporting is made by "certified mail, return receipt requested", nor is there any requirement that the requirement be made in writing, nor is there any requirement that the certified receipt number be typed or written on any correspondence with the SSA. That is just my prudent suggestion in case the SSA claims to never have received such a report from the beneficiary.

If one receives SSDI and/or SSI for disability benefits, the beneficiary/representative payee is required to notify the SSA each month the beneficiary starts or stops working. If one receives SSI, the beneficiary/representative payee is required to report any income received (earned and unearned income), as well as the source of the income. The report can be made in writing or by telephone. But again, I suggest that it by made in writing, and by "certified mail, return receipt requested" as I have indicated in my previous post.

i made money in september before i was told to quit my job (i was making too much money) by SSA. i now have the pay stub for it. should i also send the letter saying i am no longer employed along with my pay stub? do they need bank statements too?

Yes, I would write them a letter mentioning how much "earned income" from employment you made in September. Mention in the letter that you are enclosing a copy of the pay stub. Also, if possible, indicate for how much money the final pay check you received. Also, if you are no longer employed there, mention that fact in the letter. Also, if you are no longer employed anywhere, mention that fact in the letter.

If you wish, include a copy of the letter from your employer mentioning that you are no longer employed there (though not absolutely necessary). If you wish to include a copy of this letter, mention in YOUR letter that you are enclosing a copy of this letter.

Do NOT include bank statements, or copies of bank statements, since this would only confuse matters. If they want bank statements, they will ask for them. It is possible that they will in about a year or later if you also receive SSI (and they will want ORIGINAL bank statements for EACH month), so make sure that you keep each one that you receive in the mail, and be sure that you total assets (cash plus money in your account, etc.) is ALWAYS less than $2,000 for an individual receiving SSI).

thanks, bryan!

i'll make sure i do all this to make sure SSA is aware of what is going on, including that once i found out i got my disability i quit my job.

also thanks for the heads-up that i need to get money out of my bank account. who would have known that hoarding money for a rainy day is a bad thing? i will have over 2k when SSA deposits my SSI into my account in the beginning of october, leaving me with a little while to take out money. i'll take it out, put it in money orders, and pay my rent early that way so at least it is productively spent and i'm not tempted to buy new tech toys (like a new copier/scanner/pasta maker gadget). maybe i'll go buy one anyway since it seems like i'll be corresponding faithfully every month with SSA.

what is the rule regarding work while your on SSI? i'm still on this while my case is being quality-reviewed in chicago before i get my ssd. will they take away SSI if i work and make a little bit of money (in october, i've already made too much in september)?

i need a post office in my apartment along with the copier/scanner machine.

loon

also thanks for the heads-up that i need to get money out of my bank account. who would have known that hoarding money for a rainy day is a bad thing? i will have over 2k when SSA deposits my SSI into my account in the beginning of october, leaving me with a little while to take out money. i'll take it out, put it in money orders, and pay my rent early that way so at least it is productively spent and i'm not tempted to buy new tech toys (like a new copier/scanner/pasta maker gadget). maybe i'll go buy one anyway since it seems like i'll be corresponding faithfully every month with SSA.

what is the rule regarding work while your on SSI? i'm still on this while my case is being quality-reviewed in chicago before i get my ssd. will they take away SSI if i work and make a little bit of money (in october, i've already made too much in september)?

Whoa whoa, there--did I miss something here loon? I thought you were on straight-up SSDI--Bryan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any asset limits for SSDI, just SSI--and regardless, for SSI, if you get a "windfall" type amount from say a big backpayment up front, you have like 6 months to spend it down. Just don't buy stuff that will be countable assets later.

And I believe the thing with working is, they take off $1 for every $2 you make. And, um, really look at whether or not you're still disabled...

you mean look at whether or not i'm still disabled? my pdoc suggests i don't work more than the allowed limit for at least 1-2 years. i have a strong pattern of getting a job, holding it for a few months, cracking, ending up either in a terrible episode or in the hospital, getting fired due to missed work, needing med changes, being unemployed for long lengths of time, having worse side effects from meds than i do from my disorders, then the cycle starts again...

i was in the 'still employed, not yet cracked' phase when i got my approval.

i'm not going to get much of a windfall, i just applied in july. i'm as crazy now as i was in july, maybe just better medicated with stuff that doesn't make me as sick (no more topamax for one).

i had to make the choice to accept my disability or keep working at my job. i knew, in my heart, that the cycle would continue. i chose the disability because i know i need time to get over all of this before i can be stable again. i have so many goals and plans for myself, being unable to get out and do them is majorly frustrating.

i'm not going to get much of a windfall, i just applied in july.

That might not be true.

Payments could go back as far as a year before you applied if you stated that your disability started before then. I don't know what went on in your interview though or if you were given an estimate.

i applied, and then didn't appeal, so as far as i know, my application died. they made me fill out a new application and start from scratch in july when i started the process again. is it possible my payments could go back to my first application? should i see a lawyer about that?

one of the SSA people asked me when my disability started and implied that i'd get payments from that far back (from my last successful work attempt), and another one said july, so i'm not sure.

i think i'll have to ask a lawyer in either case.

this is just painful and crazy. it is going to take me ages to understand these rules before i even begin to think about working at some stupid, part-time cashier job at target or my local grocery store. i think i can handle that sort of limited work. but taking away $1 for every $2 i make- how is that supposed to encourage me to work? i'd barely be making more than what i'd make collecting straight SSDI, and have to go through all the garbage of reporting every penny i make. which is weird and stupid RANT.

but at least i did get approved. i'm grateful for that! no more cycle of unsuccessful work attempts.

it was hard to make the choice to give up an $18 dollar an hour job to go on SSDI. however, i know that i'd just crack again and continue the cycle of unsuccessful work attempts, putting more stress on me and causing episodes. being healthy is worth living on $800 and something a month, plus foodstamps and medical.

now for that red book and decoding it...

thanks all for your advice. i need it!

Loon-A-Tik wrote:

You mean at whether or not i'm still disabled? my pdoc suggests i don't work more than the allowed limit for at least 1-2 years. i have a strong pattern of getting a job, holding it for a few months, cracking, ending up either in a terrible episode or in the hospital, getting fired due to missed work, needing med changes, being unemployed for long lengths of time, having worse side effects from meds than i do from my disorders, then the cycle starts again...

The ability to hold a steady job is some evidence that your condition is not disabling. The ability to hold a 10 hour a week job, on a steady basis, consistently, with no problems, is some indication that your mental disability is not preventing you from performing substantial gainful activity. This a gray area that is difficult to define but important. The question becomes: if you can work 10 hours, why not 20 hours? If you can work 20 hours, why not 25 hours? Why not 30 hours?

Even more importantly: if you can work 20 hours at some Job X, could you do 30 hours at a less demanding Job Y. Those are SOME ways to look at it.

Erratic ability to hold down jobs, firings due to manifestations of your conditions, needing med changes, needing accommodations at work, ending up in the hospital, g

it seems that for my own sanity it might be better to not work at all.

i've read through the red book and i think i need it explained to me by either my social worker (tdoc) or one of the ever-knowing SSA people. i'd just like to be able to do something for 10 hours a week, mostly to earn more money than the 800 they're going to give me, and the biggest thing is getting out of the house.

yeah, that guy you talked to who told you to get some cog. therapy wasn't very helpful! i'm assuming you've gone to enough therapy!

i guess i'll become "mentally restored" after i go to the hospital for Goal Group a few more times, lol

Archived