CrazyBoards.org

My kitty cat is losing weight

I feel like such a bad mommy...I know I shouldn't be putting this off!  The guilt is gonna eat me alive.

The vet she saw as a kitten said I should never have adopted her (she was "rescued" by a local animal activist org.) because she was too small for her age, didn't get enough nutrition as a little furball.  That's why he's our former vet, but I digress.  She's been in fabulous health the past four years, even though her growth was stunted.  But now, though her appetite hasn't changed, she's suddenly losing weight.  She also seems a little cranky, not as affectionate.  So obviously she needs to see the vet, but I don't know where I'm going to get the money  ;) I live in the city, vets are mega expensive here ($40 just to walk through the fucking door), and they all demand payment up front.

Does anyone know of any programs or anything that help out with medical care for pets of the financially indigent?

I feel like my worst nightmare is coming true...a sick pet.  And me being fucking broke.  I so do not need this right now.

Edited to say: Reposted to "I've still got issues".  Could a mod delete this post?  Thanks.

HI:

OK, brainstorm time. There has to be programs for people like you and your situation. No one in today's world is going to let a kitten die. You need to know where to look. Start with your vet. Call and tell them your situation, see if they know where you can go. There has to be a fund or something that can help you.

If that doesn't work, get on the phone and go through the phone book. If this is not getting you anywhere, pm becca. She is a mod here and she works with animals. OH - go online type your city and "programs for the poor" or something and "animals" into google - see what happens. THIS IS YOUR BEST BET.

You can do this, like I said - NO ONE is going to let this kitten die, there is some one out there who can help you.  If ALL THIS FAILS, pm me and I will help you further, I'll be around later.

Don't worry, my sense is, she is going to be ok.

breeze

Yes, call your vet. When my aunt died we took all the money people donated instead of flowers and gave it to our vet who had been hers too. We started the Aunt Loretta pet fund to take care of animals whose owners couldn't afford it.

Maybe they have something like that.

good luck.

Raven

I goofed and posted to this board, then reposted to "I've still got issues", but I've got responses here...so I guess I'll post a follow-up here.  (Oy, my head is spinning.)

Breeze, you're such a sweetie  ;) Thanks for the offer (my little furball thanks you, too).  I've been googling my heart out and mostly came across spay/neuter programs for low income folks, but I also found a low-cost vet clinic run by the Animal Rescue League, so I'm going to give that a try.  Maybe they'll be able to connect me with other resources, but kitty needs a vet and I don't want to wait any longer.

Don't worry, my sense is, she is going to be ok.
Beneath the torrent of paranoia this is the feeling I get, too.  I hope I'm right. 

When my aunt died we took all the money people donated instead of flowers and gave it to our vet who had been hers too. We started the Aunt Loretta pet fund to take care of animals whose owners couldn't afford it.

What a lovely tribute to Aunt Loretta...I think that's a wonderful way to commemorate an animal-loving loved one.

Ella,

I hope your baby is okay. 

My runt kitty Delilah is really sick.  She has a massive colon/intestinal infection.  Basically, they're trying to slough themselves off for no apparent reason.  She's been at the vet's since yesterday morning and she had surgery today to check it out... they think she is going to recover, since she's been responding well to the antibiotics.  But nobody can guarantee me anything and the tone of their voice has me a little terrified.

I'm sorry to steal your thunder, Ella, but... if you guys could please send good thoughts my and Lilah's way I would really appreciate it.  She's a fighter, but.... but....    I need her around.  She's not even 2 years old.

*sigh*

Ella and Becca, I feel your pain and anxiety and am sending positive, loving thoughts your way.  I just lost a cat in January and it really sucks.  Thankful I still have my other cat to help keep me going.

I'm sorry to steal your thunder, Ella, but... if you guys could please send good thoughts my and Lilah's way I would really appreciate it.

I was going to change the topic title to "Ella and Becca's cats" with the topic description "Advice, prayers and good thoughts needed", but then I noticed you can't do that using the edit option... 

Becca, your kitty is one of the absolute most adorable I've ever seen (insert an emotional "Awwwwwww" here).  She's got Phoebe's eyes--I love those big greenish yellow eyes  ;) I hope the surgery has cleared up the infection once and for all and that she makes a speedy and complication-free recovery.  :::Hugs::: to both of you.

And keep us updated!

On Phoebe (my kitty, obviously), I took a peek inside her mouth and think I've found the problem (hope I have, anyway).  Her gums are a little swollen and bleeding.  I can't believe I didn't think to check her mouth earlier.  I always give her too much food (fortunately she eat likes a bird or she'd literally be a rotund "furball"), so I always end up tossing some of it and guess I didn't notice that I'd been tossing more than usual.  Which doesn't surprise me, now that I think about it, since I'm pretty much always dissociative when I'm depressed.  I do everything on auto-pilot, am just completely oblivious. 

Anyway, I've been giving her strictly mushy food and lots of Catsip (a lactose-free, nutritionally fortified milk for cats) since her teeth seem to be bothering her.  Her vet appointment is tomorrow afternoon, so I'll find out for certain then.  I hope it isn't more complicated than that.  I hope she doesn't need dental surgery.

Chuckit, thanks so much for the links and med info.  I don't think I would qualify for FVEAP aid since Phoebe isn't spayed (she's strictly an indoor cat, so I never bothered).  I'm hoping the vet will have info on similar programs since the clinic was established mainly for those in the lower socioeconomic brackets...or be able to arrange a payment plan. 

Thanks to everyone for the good thoughts, etc.--they're much appreciated  :)

OK, Ella, get her spayed too. Just because she is an indoor cat does not mean she should not be spayed. She could 1) accidently get out during the time she is in heat and 2) being in heat is really hard on a kitty. There are many programs available to have her spayed - do the right thing and DO IT. You can probably have it done for free. Really, you don't want a litter on your hands in addition to what is going on with her teeth.

If you are feeding her cheap ( sorry) wet food, her teeth could be bad. I don't care what age she is. She may need to have them cleaned. If you are feeding her cheap kibble, same thing. It is worth it, if you can, to invest in good food.

I don't mean to lecture you, but these are the kinds of problems that can come up when you don't feed them the proper food. I know you are probably struggling, but if you read up on what is good food, you may find that you can afford it, rather than the vet bills. Not trying to add to your depression - really.

Lots of information online and there are programs that you will qualify for. So, really, check it out, and have little Phoebe spayed. I hope she is better real soon.

OK?  Keep us posted.

breeze

Guest Ella (too lazy to log in)

She gets a can of Fancy Feast every day for dinner, and I've been giving her a little more now of the regular fish and chicken, since they're pretty mushy. 

For dry food, she gets Purina Kitten Chow (being such a little squirt, I thought she could use the extra nutrition), and for variety (ahem, "for being spoiled rotten"  ;) ) I also set out a little Friskies Feline Favorites.  (She normally eats so little that I'm always trying to fatten her up!)

Do you think those kitty foods are Ok?  I've tried a couple of higher end brands, but she didn't like them.

Ok, I have to admit to ignorance on the issue of spaying.  I've never noticed when she's in heat--her behavior never varies--and so I thought she could skip the surgery (I'm actually concerned about her little body having to go through unnecessary surgical trauma).  But I will definitely discuss this with the vet tomorrow. 

And I'll report back later when I have some news (hopefully the good kind!).

I made a thread on my resulting money issues in I've *still* got issues... but I thought I would let this thread know that Delilah got to come home today. ;)

She's still on 3 antibiotics and a pain med, she's still not quite eating right... but she's home and she's going to get better.

Thank you for all your well-wishes.  I really do think they made a difference.

Ella, I hope your vet appointment goes well tomorrow!

Becca,

Just wanted to say, your baby girl looks almost exactly like my baby Startdust.  Star lost her sister, Luna Belle to some unknown virus when they were 6 months old.  I still have a hard time dealing with it.

I'm glad to hear your baby girl is doing okay.  Give her some time to work up her appetite.  Since I've been down the road many times with my kitties and surgery, I know they tend to be picky about eating when they come home.  They also don't really like to be bothered.  So if she's being standoffish, it's totally normal.  I usually say they're thinking, "Gee, thanks Mom...you won't believe what they did to me!"  To which I reply, "But Mommy was just worried about you."

For all you kitty lovers out there...my beloved, Trigger and I would like to introduce you to the world of kitty comics online.  This is truly a funny uplifting site.  I laughed so hard at times, I was in tears.  So when you're feeling blue and need to laugh...or you just want to laugh and read a good comic about two adorable Russian Blue kitties....here's a story about Two Lumps!

http://www.twolumps.net/

Hugs and Purrs,

Elizabeth

Ok!  The official report is that she has a nasty case of gingivitis, definitely needs a dental cleaning, and might need to have a couple/few teeth removed.  She's had a cortisone shot, is on antibiotics, and I'm going to have to take her to a regular vet for the dental stuff in a few weeks' time (the low-cost clinic mostly handles routine care).  I did get the name of a local program that helps defray vet costs, so I'll have to see if they can help out with her cleaning/possible surgery. 

Aside from her intense dislike of the antibiotic med, she seems a little happier and more easy-going now. 

Thanks again for the good wishes and thoughts!

Ella,

I'm glad to hear your baby kitty is doing better.  I will be totally honest with ya, in all the years I've been the crazy cat lady, I've never had dental problems.  Hope all goes well for you money wise.  I do, however, know about the antibiotics, both liquid and pills.  I had to, at one time, give all eight of my kids liquid antibiotics.  You can imagine how much fun that was.  I had to pretend I was giving them catnip.  Lock them up in one room.  Then dose the poor kids up by holding them down and sneaking up behind them with a syringe full of pink sticky bubble gum smelling liquid.  OH that was so much fun!  I did always give them their catnip afterwards, just because they were good for me.  Thankfully you only have one kid to deal with.  *laughs*

Becca,

How's your baby girl doing?  Hope she's doing better too.

Well, ladies and kitties...that's all from this crazy family.  We wish you all the best.

Hugs,

Elizabeth

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

nice to see so many cat lovers. as for the teeth one of my babies only has 4 teeth and he gets by just fine. the others are all spayed and or neutered, because it is the best thing. hope everything works for everybody elses babies, as well as yourselves. ;)

Hey, because I can't help myself I must comment on animals and oral health.  Working in a vet clinic I see so many animals come through with dental problems.  I highly advise that people pay close attention to their animal's teeth, particularly as they get older.  The bacteria associated wtih bad teeth can lead to far more complicated problems than bad/rotten teeth.

With that in mind I'll share what I do with my cats' to help take care of their teeth.  My cats are on Science Diet t/d, a dental diet that helps reduce plaque and tartar.  It's not my favourite choice for food (too many chemicals) but it does keep their teeth beatiful.  I also use an oral rinse for them daily, it's a spray that is applied to their gums above the back molars.  It took several months before they would accept me doing this without forcibly holding them down but I feel it's worth it in the end.

If your cat will let you the best course of action is to brush her teeth daily.  My cats like the taste of the toothpaste but refuse to let me brush their teeth.  My dogs let me brush daily, but they can be easily bribed with food:)

Anyway, that's the end of my spiel about animal teeth.  I'm so glad that both cats are on their way towards recovery.  It's so frightening and heart wrending to have your babies be ill.  I'm a nervous wreck when I think something is wrong with my animals (all 14 of them!).

Archived