Library Science!

I'm applying for grad school right now, plan to start on my Masters in the Spring. I know a few of you out there are librarians or library students - any advice for applying or for actually getting through school?

Just be prepared for lots of busy work. A library science degree is not what one would call academically rigorous. With a decent college average, you should be able to get in. Right now the need is greatest for childrens' librarians, but not everyone could do that (I couldn't). I've been a librarian for 16 years now and, yes, they already had computers when I went to library school.

Tommy

i'm NOT a librarian, but the librarians at my college didn't seem to know how to help me with looking up actual reference books. this may be something you'd want to actually learn if you want to work in any kind of academic setting. they were confused by the whole book-finding system. and it was a very small library (800 students). i think by the time i graduated i could find books more easily.

they were good with computers and taught computer classes all the time on how to use the inter-library book-find systems. they seemed to really be wizards wtih that. if you needed a book from the local state university, they could help you find that.

Right now the need is greatest for childrens' librarians, but not everyone could do that (I couldn't). I've been a librarian for 16 years now and, yes, they already had computers when I went to library school.

Tommy

Seriously? What does being a children's librarian entail, from your point of view? Why do you feel you are ill-suited to the job? What traits are needed? I suddenly want to know these things.

Right now the need is greatest for childrens' librarians, but not everyone could do that (I couldn't). I've been a librarian for 16 years now and, yes, they already had computers when I went to library school.

Tommy

Seriously? What does being a children's librarian entail, from your point of view? Why do you feel you are ill-suited to the job? What traits are needed? I suddenly want to know these things.

<snicker> Well, you have to like kids, for one thing.

I volunteer at my library, and the kids are my least favorite part. The school age kids want you to find stuff for them, instead of learning how to find things for themselves. They were in this summer to get the books for required reading for school, and a bunch of them ordered movies, Cliff notes and audio books rather than reading the book.

Makes my teeth clench.

The real little kids are cute, but it's a back-breaker to straighten out their area. The shelves are the appropriate height for little ones, but difficult for tall people. The books have skinny spines, so it's hard to see the authors' names to put them in the right section.

But if you like kids (and I know you do!) and you like order, and constantly re-shelving returned books and tracking down the ones that have been put in the wrong place, and helping a child discover the joy of books---well, you'd probably be a dynamite childrens' librarian.

I'm curious to see Tommy's reply.

And Beary---have you checked the Master's program at SUNY Albany? It's a good one!

olga

And Beary---have you checked the Master's program at SUNY Albany? It's a good one!

I'm actually going to continue on here at SUNY Buffalo, also a good one. That way I can keep my apartment, my job, and go through library school with a friend. ;)

Great school!

Vicious winters!

Good luck on the Masters. They don't call it an MLS any more right? Isn't it a Masters of Information Technology or something? I don't like it when they take away logical names and give things hifalutin' names. grumble grumble grumble

Will you have a specialty, like Reference Librarian or School or Public? Just curious.

olga

I finished my master's degree in the summer and am currently looking for my first actual librarian job. I'm not sure how much use I'd be at giving you advice regarding your question in this thread, though, since I'm in Canada, and library school in Canada is a bit different than in the States. I went through a two-year program with, I think, eight required courses and nine electives; I think programs in the U.S. tend to be shorter than that. If you've got any more specific questions than just "how to get into/through library school," I might be able to answer them if they relate to my library school experience.

I'm actually going to continue on here at SUNY Buffalo, also a good one. That way I can keep my apartment, my job, and go through library school with a friend. ;)

Great school!

Vicious winters!

Good luck on the Masters. They don't call it an MLS any more right? Isn't it a Masters of Information Technology or something? I don't like it when they take away logical names and give things hifalutin' names. grumble grumble grumble

Will you have a specialty, like Reference Librarian or School or Public? Just curious.

olga

Library information systems is the computer science field where you deal with online card catalogs and knowledge management, circulation management, search engines and stuff like that. There is still such a thing as library science.

Great school!

Vicious winters!

olga

Library information systems is the computer science field where you deal with online card catalogs and knowledge management, circulation management, search engines and stuff like that. There is still such a thing as library science.

Well, VE.....not to be contentious, but they don't call it "Library Science" up here in New Yawk any more. Here is the listing for the graduate program at our University center:

Graduate

M.S.I.S. (Master of Science in Information Science)

Five concentration areas:

Archives and Records Administration

Information Management and Policy

Information Systems and Technology

Library and Information Services

Library and Information Services/School Media

So what used to be a "Master of Science in Library Science" is now MS in Information Science. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm a reactionary old fart.

olga

[They don't call it an MLS any more right? Isn't it a Masters of Information Technology or something? I don't like it when they take away logical names and give things hifalutin' names. grumble grumble grumble

olga

Mine is an MLIS -- Masters in Library & Informations Science

Tommy

I feel ill-suited because I don't know how to relate to kids, I don't like reading childrens' books and noise really gets to me. I'm a government documents librarian which is about as far removed from being a childrens' librarian as possible. The one time they serious considered putting me in charge of our Childrens' Dept., I serious told them they could expect story time to be based on Congressional Hearings, starting with the Clarence Thomas hearings ;)

Tommy

LOL Ilove the image it conjures up!

Speaking of government, it's primary election day here. I'd better get showered and go vote.

They don't call it an MLS any more right? Isn't it a Masters of Information Technology or something?

It's still an MLS. Some places it's an MLIS, the I standing for information.

I'm heading towards academic librarian. But who knows, the geek in me may come out and fall in love with cataloging or something... ;)

we got one of these (school of communication, information and library science) at rutgers. im more into the computational biology, but this is very similar to information studies as far as interfaces for humans to access programs (such as on the internet through client- and server-side scripting).

Archived