Having accidents of various kinds

I accidentally shot myself up with too much insulin the other day and ended up in ICU. It was my first try at shooting it myself, by myself. My husband was helping me to begin insulin shots and then he went on a biker vacation. The hospital called in a sleazy pdoc who tried to make it look like it was intentional.

Honestly, I don't know if it was or not. I know I am dissociative (but don't have other personalities, I'm told). I am getting my medical records to see what that pdoc said, because I don't need to be labeled as an extra-crazy nut by my new hospital in a small town.

Are accidents with mentally ill people usually subconsciously intentional? Does it mean that we are in denial if we truly believe it was an accident? is there no such thing as an accident?

Are accidents with mentally ill people usually subconsciously intentional?

MI covers a LOT of ground, including a variety of perceptual problems. While I think many psychologists would

say that yes, it's the subconscious doing you in... the fact is that stuff happens.

If you're zoning out while drawing from a vial, I just don't think there's any way to be sure that you have the right dose

until you are back in synch with reality. I draw this from personal experience of the blindingly obvious things I have

backed vehicles into while theoretically looking right at them.

Does it mean that we are in denial if we truly believe it was an accident? is there no such thing as an accident?

Which comes to the real psychological Catch-22: some schools of thought contend that there are no accidents of behavior,

while the DSM pretty much lists "magical thinking" (i.e., There is ALWAYS a hidden meaning in everything that happens

around you) under "Complete Nutjob - Dead Ahead".

Me - I say that a lot of the truly stoopid things we do really are accidental.

Mellow, I'm going to break my previous vow and comment.

- You just said you don't know whether you OD'd intentionally or not.

- Don't go digging into old charts and trying to second guess what the doc wrote. LET IT GO.

- Digging at this non-problem will perpetuate as self defeating behavior that has caused you no end of misery and forced you to move. Stop creating feuds in your mind. Break the cycle and drop it.

Deal with today. You got the emergency care you needed to keep you alive, so you can enjoy more days with your husband. Let it go. Look forward, not past.

Wishing you a good week.

a.m.

I draw this from personal experience of the blindingly obvious things I have

backed vehicles into while theoretically looking right at them.

I know of several MI people who get into small fender benders. Zoning out is one thing, but believing it is a subconscious wish to raise their car insurance is something else!

Which comes to the real psychological Catch-22: some schools of thought contend that there are no accidents of behavior, while the DSM pretty much lists "magical thinking" (i.e., There is ALWAYS a hidden meaning in everything that happens around you) under "Complete Nutjob - Dead Ahead".
Ha! So maybe Freud was guilty of "magical thinking"? haha!

Me - I say that a lot of the truly stoopid things we do really are accidental.

I do, too. Add to my experience that, (1) I didn't have my reading glasses on because I'm not used to having such fuzzy eyesight from high blood sugars, (2) total nervousness with the damn cheap *bending* needles. I also have problems with small motor skills - my brain tells my hands to do one thing and they do another, even if threading beads.

My doc is getting me on an insulin PEN which is pre-loaded, doesn't bend, nothing to read. Which makes a whole lotta sense. Either that, or the inhalable kind. :-)

I do, too. Add to my experience that, (1) I didn't have my reading glasses on because I'm not used to having such fuzzy eyesight from high blood sugars,

OK. That could be subconscious. Unfortunately I sounds more like a redneck subconscious than an intentionally

suicidal one: "Look y'all, ah kin handle this blindfolded !"

(2) total nervousness with the damn cheap *bending* needles. I also have problems with small motor skills - my brain tells my hands to do one thing and they do another, even if threading beads.

And for me, self-administration through bendy needles would be an exercise in "This just ain't going to happen"

Archived