Ok, to cut the long story short, I've been smoking for 12 years, but only diagnosed as BP earlier this year.

So after several med changes and one hospitalisation, I'm finally stable on a cocktail and was doing pretty well, so I discussed quitting smoking with my pdoc and asked for Zyban/Wellbutrin.

So I've been on Zyban for 3 weeks, and in the meantime reduced my cigarette consumption from about 12 a day to one or two or three a day. I no longer have cravings, and I'm just smoking out of habit, and also to as a way of slowing exhausting my small stockpile of cigarettes. Smoking doesn't give me a kick anymore.

But in the meantime I also noticed that my moods have been gradually sliding back towards the depressed side of the scale - I'm still stable, but just more depressed than before I stopped smoking.

Has this happened to anyone else before? I read that nicotine does increase the plasma concentration of my luvox and zyprexa - could it really be that my reducing my nicotine intake is reducing the level of meds in my system?

Yes. Yes.

To be blunt: You already read it in the PI sheets. ;)

Also as has been mentioned before, benzos like Temezapam can increase depression.

Be sure and mention it to you pdoc, and don't let the slide go to far.

Good luck on kicking the habit!

a.m.

p.s. med reactions and interactions aren't necessarily linear nor can they be isolated to a single drug acting in an on/off manner. Med adjustments are just going to be par for the course. That's why the pdocs get the big bucks.

Ok, to cut the long story short, I've been smoking for 12 years, but only diagnosed as BP earlier this year.

So after several med changes and one hospitalisation, I'm finally stable on a cocktail and was doing pretty well, so I discussed quitting smoking with my pdoc and asked for Zyban/Wellbutrin.

So I've been on Zyban for 3 weeks, and in the meantime reduced my cigarette consumption from about 12 a day to one or two or three a day. I no longer have cravings, and I'm just smoking out of habit, and also to as a way of slowing exhausting my small stockpile of cigarettes. Smoking doesn't give me a kick anymore.

But in the meantime I also noticed that my moods have been gradually sliding back towards the depressed side of the scale - I'm still stable, but just more depressed than before I stopped smoking.

Has this happened to anyone else before? I read that nicotine does increase the plasma concentration of my luvox and zyprexa - could it really be that my reducing my nicotine intake is reducing the level of meds in my system?

there is a possibility of discussing provigil with your doctor, since it has also been helpful for smoking cessation or could possibly augment Zyban. it does something indirect to dopamine IIRC, so it might be compatible with your other meds. my feeling is that nicotine is a unique stimulant (it hits nicotinic receptors) and only one medication (Zyban) has correlated at all to that site of action (although the evidence for its relationship to how it helps smoking is unknown). depression could be the result of the lack of nicotine

but yes it could also relate to your medication. luvox is kind of old-school here in the US, probably because that smoking liver enzyme interaction. perhaps a switch in this AD could be discussed, but if your doctor knows you are quitting smoking and doesnt recommend a higher dose of zyprexa it might not be related to your AP dose.

good luck with the smoking. i quit smoking but my smoking of other things probably biases my assessment of quitting the cigarettes ;)

• 6 months later...

Isn't there some dopaminergic involvement with nicotine? I've heard about it anecdotally for ages..people with mental illness smoke more (apparently). Especially people with schizophrenia. A friend with schizophrenia has been advised by her Dr to not quit smoking (yet) as it will mess around with her brain chemicals too much.

I've quit smoking twice with Zyban (one time for 2yrs), but also got somewhat hypomanic when on it.

What I have found is that since being on Aurorix , my desire to smoke has been curbed significantly. I wonder if that is due to the global action on mono-amine's (thus dopamine) ? Don't really know enough about it, but will start looking I think.

Archived