wellbutrin sr VS xl..... (updated question)

i am taking 300mg of wellbutrin XL. once daily. when i wake up. but im gonna have to change to the SR version because of the insurance co-pay. when i make the change, should i expect the dosing to be 150 twice a day? im not sure how XL compares to SR in terms of the dosing.

also, im concerned about taking a second dose of wellbutrin too late in the day but if i go to twice daily dosing, they say im supposed to wait at least 8 hours in between dosing. if i take my first one when i wake up at 7:00am and i have to wait eight hours for the next dose, that would be at 3:00pm and im worried it may be too late in the day.

anyway, does anyone know if 300mg XL is the same as 2x 150mg SR doses. i know they both equal 300 so it should be a no brainer but i want to make sure.

thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light. ;)

Edited to add:

i just looked at the label of the new RX and it says:

Bupropion HCL TABLETTEV

Substituted for Wellbutrin Tablet PRE

does anyone know if this is immediate release???

now i'm very confused.....

Yes, the SR and XL dosages would be the same. If you try the SR and find that you're having trouble sleeping because of when you take the second dose, then you might want to try the immediate release. It's available as a generic, so it will be cheaper than the other two. And, you can take the first dose at 7 and the next one at 12 or 1. For round the clock action, you would actually have to take it three times a day. But the twice a day can help alleviate the insomnia for people who are particularly sensitive to its activating properties.

But you may not have any problem at all with the SR. The XL is released into your system throughout the day due to the double coating on the pill. If you're sleeping OK with the XL, then the SR shouldn't be a problem either.

Greeny

i just want to make sure anyone who reads this sees my second question. copied from the edited post above. if anyone can shed some light, please let me know. thanks in advance.

i just looked at the label of the new RX and it says:

Bupropion HCL TABLETTEV

does anyone know if this is immediate release???

now i'm very confused.....

betcsu:

I got my bottle out to look at the label. It says "Budeprion SR 150 mg." My doctor had me taking them twice a day, so I took them at breakfast and dinner. (I worry about forgetting things, so I try to take meds with meals because I NEVER skip meals). heh

I've seen the HCL on prescriptions before, but I don't know what it means. Maybe the other word is supposed to be "tablet" and they misspelled it? If your script says Budeprion, I think it is immediate release.

I know everyone is different, but I had no difficulty sleeping with this prescription.

My doctor told me that I wouldn't see any difference between Wellbutrin SR and Budeprion SR......because he felt that chemically they are the same. He may have been mistaken, but that's what he told me.

When I have questions about drugs and interactions, I also go to Drugs.com and look things up. They have a lot of information there.

olga

Wellbutrin is a brand named of bupropion, also called bupropion hydrochloride or bupropion HCL.

The three formulations are immediate release, sustained release, and extended release.

There are two formulations of bupropion in the generic form: the original and sustained release.

[The patent isn't up on the XL formulation until 2018, so PBBT.]

Budeprion SR is a generic made by Teva.

Shown Here.

I am not positive, but I believe in "Subsituted for Wellbutrin Tablet PRE" 'PRE' is prescription.

So I think it is telling you what generic you have [Teva]

And what brand it is replacing [Wellbutrin]

Sustained release generic bupropion hydrochloride.

And as far as the timing of the dose goes- sometimes eight hours doesn't work for everyone. You have to be able to go to sleep too. If it isn't working, talk with your doctor and figure out what is best for you.

I don't take SR, but I take two 150 XL in the morning and one XL 150 in the afternoon because it is less expensive to get one prescription of 90X150mgs rather than two scripts of 300mgs and 150 mgs.

It seems to work out alright, even though that isn't really how they reccomend it be taken.

-This chart is actually a huge list of ADD meds but it includes Wellbutrin at the very bottom, with all three formulations. [it is from a place that is trying to sell you things, though. So be warned]

http://www.wellbutrin-xl.com/

Related if you are interested in "further reading"

Generics Now Playing Pharmaceutical Name Game

ok, so does this mean that since there is no SR in the drug name that its immediate release??? thanks again.

the bottle says:

Bupropion HCL TABLETTEV

to add: i know i could ask the dr or pharmacist but i was hoping to figure it out and not have to call those people. thanks again.

ok, so does this mean that since there is no SR in the drug name that its immediate release??? thanks again.

the bottle says:

Bupropion HCL TABLETTEV

ha. I'm sorry. I've been pretty scatterbrained.

Look like this?

http://www.tevausa.com/default.aspx?pageid...amp;ndcsub=5502

I am trying to find other images but coming up short right now.

I know you don't want to, but you should call the pharmacist though if you are having any doubts at all.

I really could only make a guess about what you actually have versus what you are supposed to have and the pharmacist will actually know for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

i just got the dr to write a new rx for the sr and when i got it filled it now says bupropion sr so now theres no doubt i got the right kind! he did prescribe 150mg 2x/day.

just thought id update....

i have sr version to and the doctor that gave it to me is on vacation did your doctor tell you how much time to wait between doses? my doctor didn't tell me that. he told me in the morning for 150 and go to 300mg but not sure when to take it

i just got the dr to write a new rx for the sr and when i got it filled it now says bupropion sr so now theres no doubt i got the right kind! he did prescribe 150mg 2x/day.

just thought id update....

i have sr version to and the doctor that gave it to me is on vacation did your doctor tell you how much time to wait between doses? my doctor didn't tell me that. he told me in the morning for 150 and go to 300mg but not sure when to take it

my dr only told me to take it twice a day. let me go read the print out from the pharmacy...

okay, the print out said to split them at least 8 hours apart. i checked at crazymeds and it sayd 8 hours apart as well. so there ya go.... hth.

i switched a month or so ago to WB 300XL once a day, instead of buproprion SR 150 twice a day.

on either version, i never had sleep problems. i could even take the last pill at ten p.m. and sleep ;)

but i'm weird like that. it sedated me for the first three weeks.

however, if you notice a difference in irritability or anxiety, tell the doc - it's not your imagination. there ARE differences between the two formulations for some people. SR made me VERY irritable and ragey, and i had a steep drop in mood by four o'clock every day. the XL version doesn't do that at all and i don't feel like choking my family anymore hehe :) i love the newer version. sucks about the patent thing - i got hella samples of XL from my doctor... maybe you could too?

good luck with the change!

-lysergia

Archived