Girls as young as five worry about weight

lilie

My 4 yo daughter was playing today, and tried on a lightweight jacket of mine. She walked by and asked, "does this make me look fat?". I just about had heart failure. I realize that she was just playing, and the "fat" was just another word for puffy, and she thought it was cute, but still, at 4 years old, the fact that she recognized such a size difference is frightenening. And to make it worse, her older (college age) sister is extremely thin and delicate. I now realize that my groaning about a few extra pounds needs to be done in silence.

It's great that you understood right away what she was saying and are handling it. Anorexia is a serious issue in this country and all I hear is "well it's better than being FAT"

This tells all about anorexia and what happens to the human body when the need to be thin is pushed too far

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anorexia_s...s_treatment.htm

Maybe you can have a talk with her about just being healthyand that being healthy looks like a lot of different things so you can continue to self-motivate to lose what you need while helping her understand that she's okay and developing normally. When I was a kid it was called babyfat by the time you did enough rounds in PE you were thin by eighth grade but in todays society these kids don't get a chance just being "a little overweight or having babyfat" now people are screaming "obesity risk obesity risk". I can tell you're a good mom. If you thought she had a problem you wouldn't be having her run behind your car you'd just help her through the rough times til she reached what was healthy. I wish all Moms could accept their kids as they are and help them through the rough spots without harsh criticism. Or worse yet not BE the anorexic mom that the kid yearns to be like.

lilie

Archived