The Science of Sexual Orientation

The deal is: the vast majority of people still don't "get" gender identity. Responsible media reporting would very specifically spell it out for people. Also...there's a LOT of confounding variables in that study that I'm not entirely sure were taken into account: it's been shown that if people go on hormones, it can mess with their orientation (it was unclear to me if they researched how many "extreme gender nonconformity" kids later identified as trans: because gender identity is still a totally invisible issue in this society). Also, assuming that there are environmental factors (I'm of the personal, completely scientifically-UNfounded belief that sexual orientation probably stems from a biopsychosocial model), a gender nonconforming child growing up, let's face it, is going to be called gay. For years. There's some possibility that that could have an impact come adolescence.

"the vast majority of people still don't "get" gender identity"

True...but how many people are so scared of their own feelings and emotions that fall outside "social norms" that they lash out against any ideas that shake their flimsily constructed identity?

In other words, while many don't get it, some of those that do get it are too afraid to talk about it.

Archived