cymbalta - tired - does that go away?

Guest montyface

Guest montyface

Hi,

So I am on day 6 of cymbalta, no big issues so far, a bit of dry mouth but other then that just that tired thing that hits me mid-afternoon. I get it on the ssri's to. THat has been my HUGE struggle finding a med and sticking with it. So the pdoc told me because cymbalta hits norepenephrine (or whatever the spelling is) that the tired/lethargic/lazy feeling should go away. So anyone else notice that it does go away and anyone by chance take ssri's and have that tired shit from them but not from cymbalta?

He says if I get it on this then my next move is an ssri with like wellbutrin, (WHY IS WELLBUTRIN THE ONE thing everyone goes to to offset sides from an ssri"?) Why not provigil or something else like stratterra?

;):) :

I am hoping that when I get to the 60 mg in another few days that I will get rid of this tired shit

It always hits me at the same time, like 3pm and I am desperate for a nap, I can fight it sometimes and others not at all. So then I wind up napping and staying up, like now - 245, fuck, and workin 5 hours.

great

thx for listening to my ramble but I can't be the only one that has this fucked issue with these meds. Can't I keep my anxious/ocd type energy which is good but not be anxious and ocd to the point I drive me and everyone else fucking bananas

Do you take it at night? That might help. I also have a problem with afternoon (and sometimes all day tiredness), and the one time I took a dose of Cymbalta in the a.m. it seemed worse.

I'm with Sunshine about this drug. It's one of the best I've been on, especially if I can smooth out a few minor side effects.

Good luck,

Alice

Yeah, I'm ringing in with the other 2. I do with Cymbalta had worked longer for me, though I'm responding again to Effexor so, I reckon I otter be happy. What I liked about Cymbalta was the added relief of neuropathic pain relief to my nerve damaged leg.

About the tiredness, yah, but doesnt everyone get tired in the middle of the afternoon, I know I did forever and still do.

Keep with it.

Best,

S9

Guest montyface

Thanks, I can't afford/and I am not normally wiped out like this in the mid afternoon. It is bad, I have to take a nap or I am not really functional. So I take a nap from like 6 to 7 or 8.

It sucks, same thing with ssri's, must be the serotonin effect.

i wonder what they can do, if only one of these fucking doctors would come up with something for the tired shit I wouldn't be agravated and have had to keep looking for one that has a clue, only 10 years of the same shit. You would think that if you tell each doctor that the meds make me to tired that they would come up with something the last one didn't.

There's a bunch of studies that state that people get tired two times a day. Between midnight and five A.M. and between two and four P.M.

So, you aren't alone. ;)

What time do you usualy go to bed and get up?

It could be that the all these are doing somthing regarding your sleep cycle that makes your nighttime sleep lest restful. Try getting a couple more hours of sleep at night and see what happens.

Afternoon naps are normal and healthy. The Japanese swear by them. So does most of Latin America.

Most side effects get better a bit less than a month after the last dose increase. If it's still a problem then, you should trying taking it at night.

Guest montyface

I don't know that it is the tiredness that sucks so much, but the motivation and just pure lazy feeling sucks bad. This happens on every ssri - yes I know this is an srni but still the same.

I have taken them all at night and taken some for months. I have no idea what to do but tomorrow I will be calling the pdoc. I am plain out exhausted by 4pm and just ready for a nap for like 2 hours and then up.

Generally I sleep from about 12 to 730 and I don't know that I have time to get to bed earlier then 1130. I actually need to get up about 715 but I am to tired.

I take .5 to 1mg of klonopin to help me sleep and my mornings are good.

The cymbalta is helping with the anxiety but so didn't prozac. However prozac made my hands shake. So I think the pdoc mentioned my next option is an ssri + probably wellbutrin to help with this crap? I just don't know why for 7 years no other pdoc has ever bothered to get that being tired and unmotivated is a big issue for people with families, jobs, responsibilities, doing things they enjoy. Being a tired ass zombie is no fun.

What time do you usualy go to bed and get up?

It could be that the all these are doing somthing regarding your sleep cycle that makes your nighttime sleep lest restful. Try getting a couple more hours of sleep at night and see what happens.

Afternoon naps are normal and healthy. The Japanese swear by them. So does most of Latin America.

Most side effects get better a bit less than a month after the last dose increase. If it's still a problem then, you should trying taking it at night.

Guest montyface

I am seeing the pdoc on Monday. I am going to find out I guess if he decides to move me to an ssri or just add wellbutrin.

He told me if cymbalta didn't do it then the next logical step was an ssri and wellbutrin.

how do you know if wellbutrin will put your through the roof?

I read people get anxious really bad, yell, get violent, all sorts of stuff.

carbs for lunch = mid afternoon sleepies

The sleepiness may decrease a bit but I had added WB xl for other reasons and that helped 10 fold... but the ? is can you take it. ;)

There's always a chance that anything could happen. Even if it never has before, you could be the first. You could turn into a snail. You could develop superhuman powers. There is really just no way to know for sure. The odds are against it, but you never know. It's just a matter of if you think getting better is worth the risk or not.

Hi,

So I am on day 6 of cymbalta, no big issues so far, a bit of dry mouth but other then that just that tired thing that hits me mid-afternoon. I get it on the ssri's to. THat has been my HUGE struggle finding a med and sticking with it. So the pdoc told me because cymbalta hits norepenephrine (or whatever the spelling is) that the tired/lethargic/lazy feeling should go away. So anyone else notice that it does go away and anyone by chance take ssri's and have that tired shit from them but not from cymbalta?

He says if I get it on this then my next move is an ssri with like wellbutrin, (WHY IS WELLBUTRIN THE ONE thing everyone goes to to offset sides from an ssri"?) Why not provigil or something else like stratterra?

;):) :

I am hoping that when I get to the 60 mg in another few days that I will get rid of this tired shit

It always hits me at the same time, like 3pm and I am desperate for a nap, I can fight it sometimes and others not at all. So then I wind up napping and staying up, like now - 245, fuck, and workin 5 hours.

great

thx for listening to my ramble but I can't be the only one that has this fucked issue with these meds. Can't I keep my anxious/ocd type energy which is good but not be anxious and ocd to the point I drive me and everyone else fucking bananas

Sorree I'm so late to the party.

I too have MDD. And ADD. And was going through a crappy divorce for three years. And my brain reacts to norepinephrine. Hence, the only things that have worked for me are Serzone, Nortriptylene (sp?) and Cymbalta.

Cymbalta was the only thing that worked for me after Serzone got taken off the market. And it worked IMMEDIATELY, like all those things which act on norepinephrine.

I, too was comatose. But this was a lot better than being a slave to downward spiraling thoughts and not being able to sleep. Not talking manic here. Just talking being comatose with despair. So burdened with despair that sleep eludes you. It was actually a relief to simply veg out and be comatose and passive, watching Animal Planet, and otherwise sleeping eighteen hours a day.

When it came time to rejoin the human race, I went on Wellbutrin. It has an activating effect for people who are sensitive to norepinephrine (per pdoc). The combination of the Cymbalta knockout and Wellbutrin activation was just right, and I more or less rejoined the human race, except for this remaining pervasive sense of fragility. I am still easily overwhelmed.

I got a dog. Made things better -- at least I am out walking him.

I moved away from CT with the dog -- even better.

(Sure wish I could get intelligent again like I used to be. And stop being overwhelmed.)

I think the tiredness from Cymbalta may be an indication that you're one of the people it works for. I have spoken to other Cymbalta people who were knocked out on it, whose Pdocs also supplemented with Wellbutrin after awhile, and who now function more or less OK on it.

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably going to sound like a stupid or petty question, but if you switch from taking Cymbalta (60 mg) in the morning to evening, is it better to take the first evening one the same day you've taken a morning one, or wait it out until the next evening?

I'm probably not going to be on it much longer anyhow, if I can ever get in touch with the pdoc. (Our "mental health facility for crazy poor people" is closing at the end of the month. I can follow my tdoc to her new place, but who knows what's happening with the medical guy.) It's not helping with depression and my anxiety attacks are getting more frequent. Only side effect is that I can't get up until about 10/10:30 in the morning, no matter what time I fall asleep at night, or whether I've taken anything or not. (Sometimes take Benadryl to sleep. It works. It's way cheap at the Dollar Store.)

Anyhow, didn't mean to ramble. Thanks.

for my mom, being tired never went away. instead she became very suicidal (bp1 as well), and got pulled from it right away.

for me, wellbutrin isn't activating and it doesn't make me anxious. as far as i can tell, it is side-effect free. i take it in the am because my pdoc told me to, but i've forgotten and taken it at night before and not noticed a difference. i used to take paxil alone with only sexual side effects, and then paxil with wellbutrin, wtih only the remaining sexual side effects WB did nothing to solve that ;)

basically, the SSRI + WB was neutral, the SSRI was basically neutral (except for that annoyance), and WB is also neutral.

i have the side effects with lithium and antipsychotics, but not ssris or wb.

i've never been on cymbalta, because of mom's experience i've left that one alone.

i used to take serzone and it made me really sick. :)

Archived