Don't want to sleep...

Hmmm - how to explain this? I don't mean I can't sleep, just that I don't really want to sleep a lot of the time, even if I'm feeling tired. I would rather be up and doing something (anything) other than lying in bed. This usually results in me going to bed around 4 or 5 am, even though I have to get up in a couple of hours.

Anyone else? Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

my boyfriend is obsessed that he is going to have a panic/anxiety attack if he goes to sleep (he often wakes up with them, i think it can be psychological), so it takes him forever and a few beers to go to sleep.

now, he is afraid of xanax because of potential body damage and potential "addiction", but he drinks alcohol to sleep at night, and parties pretty hard once a week...i suggested the xanax and a pdoc, ideas that wree rejected...

Mine started as kid i remember as young as 5 because my teacher brought it to attention of the "parents", that I was falling asleep on my desk during class, and she never saw such behavior in such a young student, you know bags under eyes and all.

Really funny thing was, i was staying up keeping watch over house, and to see if "parents" were ever coming home from their shift type work, Dad being cop, and Mom ER nurse.

But really it was their off duty curiculum that kept them out and about.

Patterns like that when started at such age, and well the homelife just got worse, they really just get ingrain in you.

I use to think I loved the night life.

Now I see I am just a fuckin night watchman.

Aly

• 2 weeks later...

I like to sleep during the day and stay up all night. somehow i feel safer during the night- like if the tv is on its not going to blurt in with some special report of something horrible. and there's no "coming up at 11..." with some horrible story. i don't feel guilty for not being productive because no one else is either- during the day everyone else is doing stuff and i'm doing nothing.so i like nightime.

I'm exactly like that. I only work 3 days a week full day, and the rest of the week I'm writing, so I have leeway to sleep during the day. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it means for the most part I'm awake till 5, then I sleep till 2pm. I just prefer operating at night when the house belongs to me. When I know I have to be up, I do try to get to sleep, but I am always lying in bed thinking of so many things I could be doing.

• 3 months later...

Another "me too", when I was little I was always convinced that something wildly interesting was going on the second I went to sleep and I didn't want to miss it. Now I know there isn't, but I still don't like going to sleep. I think I partly fear that I won't bother getting up again and will waste another day and not be able to sleep the next night, but then because I've stayed up all night until I can no longer keep my eyes open I sleep through the day and the same thing happens anyway...I would be happy if I could take a pill which meant I never had to sleep, but failing that I think I need to find something that makes me go to sleep at a reasonable hour so I can actually create something resembling a routine and so I don't lie awake at night getting bored and anxious if I do go to bed before the pass-out stage. In the meantime, Carpe Noctem!

• 2 months later...

Hmmm - how to explain this? I don't mean I can't sleep, just that I don't really want to sleep a lot of the time, even if I'm feeling tired.

Anyone else? Any thoughts?

Seems to stop me being so bloody depressed. So I don't complain. I can't do much that's sensible this late at night. Chat a bit on the boards, mindlessly surf, play wesnoth, lose to the computer playing iagno..

Trouble is I'm a little fragile in the mornings. Mood all over the place. Sometimes my brain quietly shuts down for micro naps.

Bit the same..sometimes I can't sleep because my mind won't stop with the self flagellation. Sometimes I just don't want to sleep...rather be awake at night ~ quiet and peaceful. Worked night shift for a few yrs.

But, I do feel better if I keep a sleeping rhythm going..so try to get to bed at same time usually. Don't always succeed..last few nights I've crashed on the sofa with the TV going all night. Just couldn't deal with laying in bed and letting my mind take off.

I don't like sleeping much too. A "good" 8-10 hours leaves me spacey and depressed, but I find optimum feeling in a 4-6 hour bout, waking up all racing thoughts and ready for another day!

Lately I have been taking seroquel to put everything down under and pass out. I don't like relying on drugs to perform natural bodily functions but most of the time its entirely necessary. Last night I decided to go natural and did a mindfulness meditation exercise, focusing on the ambient sound in the room and it WORKED. I fell asleep because the mastery of this focus diverted my attention from the conversations/relentless analysis of my thought riddled mind to immerse my consciousness in the outside.

It takes alot of effort to redirect consciousness and for me, alot of times it isn't possible. But last night's exercise gave me hope.

Believe in discipline!!

(but if you don't want to sleep than rock out MOFO) thats cool too

• 2 months later...

I do the exact same thing. My body will be totally exhausted...even my mind is going blank, but I avoid going to bed like the plague! Sometimes I think it's because I've had trouble falling asleep for most of my life, which is fucking frustrating. Maybe like...I don't feel like laying in bed trying to get comfortable and shut my mind off for 2 hours. It feels like such a frustrating waste of time. Another part of me thinks I avoid it because I do have some sort of...'repressed' anxiety, and often I find myself getting upset about shit while I'm trying to fall asleep. It's almost as if all the crap comes up to bother me because I've got no distractions, and the resulting emotions just make it even MORE difficult to relax and fall asleep. I finally got a script for Ambien, thanks to my wonderful pdoc. My body is worn out from the sleep dep, but nothing else will just shut my mind off so I can go to sleep at a decent time!

As a side note, I'm noticing that many of us have a Dx of ADD and Depression... maybe there's a connection? Maybe it's just the ADD? :ph34r:

Archived